Sold My Selene & Need Another One, or Nordhavn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IT's a BIG boat.

10' Draft
85 tons

It looks like they took the mold for the Delta 70’ and cut 5’ off of it

I think they did.

It is a commercial fish boat hull.

These deltas are a great example of what someone in another thread wanted, namely a commercial fishing boat hull finished to be a yacht. These were built that way right from the start, and a number of them are around and come on the market from time to time.

@adopo
I’m prone to this myself, but maybe you are overthinking this too much? Every boat will have its issues. Some of these are easily addressed (the older Flemings foredeck you mentioned is a relatively inexpensive permanent fix for example). Boats are imperfect and different. Assume you will make changes and upgrades.

As for the Mercedes’ G wagon, I’m glad it saved your life. I got rid of mine as I thought the passive safety features made it less safe - handling, braking, crumple zone etc. it’s a truck platform but I still admire the looks and am always tempted! My old fj40 is also unsafe except I can’t use it on the highway!

I’ve got a 54 Selene deep hull that I’m thinking about selling and moving up. It’s about as loaded as it can be. It’s not listed as I’m still not sure but would talk anyway.
If interested me an email.
Steve@signet-hk.com

Kadey Krogen might be worth a look. There is a 2016 KK58 listed in Florida now. We are happy with our 58 after looking at all the usual prospects during our search.. Nordhavn. Selene. Etc etc

Selene

We are selene owners read the passagemaker article. And you get the idea no boat is perfect we have gone from San Diego thru canal colombia and up to the bvi this boat will do anything asked of it it will do better than most crew members. They are strong and reliable. Cummins has built the ultimate long range low rpm engine purrs,and sips fuel if yours concern is how well they do at sea5 stars. How well they hold up 5 stars much kinder bottom if stabilizer failure should occur. I'm 3 years into a passage with covid and 6000 miles she eats up miles likenothing else. Write if you care to markmackai@yahoo.com I'm currently in bvi

Kadey Krogen might be worth a look. There is a 2016 KK58 listed in Florida now. We are happy with our 58 after looking at all the usual prospects during our search.. Nordhavn. Selene. Etc etc

That’s a really nice looking boat. What would a new one sell for or what do you think they paid for that 2016 back then? Beamy at 18’.

Price is a factor is it not?

If you have a budget. Then certain items are factors if you are just looking for ideas with no money parameters then discussions are all over the map lots of great boats if you truly intend you use them as designed if u contingent to use it in the sea day after day many other boats work most boats never go very far so it's moot yo argue the merits if your a stay at dock captain I've been 30k miles in 3 different boats 2 sail one motor and for the race,and ride the selene 53 an does it for me and my gal adios muchacos

That’s a really nice looking boat. What would a new one sell for or what do you think they paid for that 2016 back then? Beamy at 18’.

Don’t really know. Something north of $3M I would guess.

For the same form factor (they look similar) and meeting your standard of similar or higher quality, there is the Fleming 55 or 58 but none really around used except the Fleming 55 that was rebuilt after a hurricane.
It was partially sunk has a salvage title insurance co. dont want to touch it origionally auctioned at 380 and the second buyer found out what problems its still having even with all the new expenditures i looked at it when it was firs offered.baught a 50 ocean mk l and never regretted it there's a 60 oa on the market but port eng. Has water in the oil buyer beware

Having spent good portions of my life living in America and overseas, it’s my observation that 50hz, 230v power is far superior. Nothing “wrong” about it at all, unless you’re trying to plug your American blender into it.

Having spent good portions of my life living in America and overseas, it’s my observation that 50hz, 230v power is far superior. Nothing “wrong” about it at all, unless you’re trying to plug your American blender into it.

Or you import that Australian Fleming and try to plug it on to shore power in the US.

Consider a Seahorse 52

Check out the Seahorse 52 for sale with Jeff Merril Yacht Service

www.jmys.com

It’s a twin engine twin head / stateroom trawler

@adopo
I’m prone to this myself, but maybe you are overthinking this too much? Every boat will have its issues. Some of these are easily addressed (the older Flemings foredeck you mentioned is a relatively inexpensive permanent fix for example). Boats are imperfect and different. Assume you will make changes and upgrades.

As for the Mercedes’ G wagon, I’m glad it saved your life. I got rid of mine as I thought the passive safety features made it less safe - handling, braking, crumple zone etc. it’s a truck platform but I still admire the looks and am always tempted! My old fj40 is also unsafe except I can’t use it on the highway!

Yes, I do suffer from perfectitis, just lost a boat I still think about in survey because of this although it did have some issues like the shaking helm chair, loud exhaust and less than tidy or clean engine room plus a few other pertinent things. As of for the G my wife did in fact raise the questions about safety features like the auto brake like we have on the Raptor that may have helped. FJ40 is legendary, we have a car with an f as well, just glad we weren't driving the F40 lol. Still looking, but wondering if it is not all about to crash down given inflation, Russia, etc. God I realize I sound negative...wife is trying to get me to do The Miracle Morning. That might help.

The Selene, saw that pop up as I search new listings everyday on the advance feature, how do you guys feel about 3000 plus hours? I know it depends on how it was maintained and I'm told you can read the amount of fuel burned and that will tell you how many hours remain. Also of course a sound engine survey oil analysis, etc, but all other components and surfaces also have 3000 plus hours. While the GA was being surveyed, I found a 63 Outer Reef cockpit boat that I have been looking for, they only made three, but it has 5000 or so on it at about 1.3mm ask by the owner, single owner open checkbook. There is one on Yachtworld that has been listed for some time now, but it is across the country in Oxnard CA. Hmmmm...

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats-fo...y-united-states/state-california/city-oxnard/

Last edited:
By all means, look at maintenance logs, oil sample analysis history, and engine survey results. If all checks out well, those 3,000 hours are an insignificant fraction of the QSM11’s effective life. —>

https://www.sbmar.com/articles/the-cummins-qsm11-marine-engine-story/

I would not worry about it at all.

(I bought my Selene with approx. 2500 hours. It is a 43 with a Cummins QSB - a reliable but lesser version of the Cummins which will soon be yours.)

Or you import that Australian Fleming and try to plug it on to shore power in the US.

There are transformers that can deal with that issue, I believe.

Back
Top Bottom