Spacers for water pump alignment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dougcole

Guru
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
'05 Mainship 40T
Hi All,

Kohler updated the water pump for my generator (8EOZ) a few years back and it now includes a sort of integrated bracket. When my old pump was finished I upgraded to the new style. AT first it seemed fine, but I was getting a lot of belt dust and wear, to the point where I would have to tighten the belt every 20 hours or so. My mechanic took a quick look at it and said he thought it was aligned OK, but on our recent Bahamas trip it reached the point where I could not handle it any longer and I dug into it deeper.

It was very slightly out of alignment, somewhere between 1/16" and 1/8". I jury rigged it by slipping three or four extra washers on two of the mounting bolts, which is working, but it seems janky to me. Is it possible to buy spacers? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Doug

Last edited:
Did they say why they "upgraded" the pump? Does Kohler have to many pump belts....
It's a little different bracket, it does make it a bit easier to change the impeller.

Did you install the same pulley that was on the old pump? Otherwise, I don't think you can do much better than the washers without paying a bunch of money.

Back
Top Bottom