Staples, who likes them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bowball

Guru
I’ve often thought of adding staples to my swim deck, just to make getting in or out of the RIB easier for everyone. I do have a handrail the length of the stern though but that doesn’t help getting out of the RIB.

I just think maybe the staples will get in the way, though they are removable.

It would be nice to put a bbq on these though.

Anyone have strong opinions?

(Asking all these questions as I have under two months to go before boating season starts again for me! )

If they are substantial and solid I like them, but if they are flimsy then no. Nothing much worse than a grab rail you can’t rely on.

I wouldn't do without them. Underway we keep an inflatable kayak on the swimstep held in place by the staples and a rope. Easy to board the RIB, and makes it much safer netting salmon and harpooning bigger fish.

Tom

Got ‘em on our NP45 swim platform. Great for dingy entry/exit. Nice to have something to grab.

I’ve often thought of adding staples to my swim deck, just to make getting in or out of the RIB easier for everyone. I do have a handrail the length of the stern though but that doesn’t help getting out of the RIB.

(Asking all these questions as I have under two months to go before boating season starts again for me! )

It obviously depends on the boat. They need to be substantial to be safe and therefore provide utility, and not get in the way . Last boat Bayliner 4788 did not have them. Thought about it but the flimsy substructure of the swimstep and limited space convinced me otherwise. Current boat came with them. one is removeable and is usually in its dedicated parking spot out of the way when we are living on the boat. These work great. We tie dinghies/floats etc to them. They provide real security to anyone on the swim platform and they fit in with the scale of the boat.
~A

Forgive my ignorance, but what the heck is a "staple" in this context? Handrail of some sort.

Forgive my ignorance, but what the heck is a "staple" in this context? Handrail of some sort.

It’s the inverted U shaped stainless rails that are on the back of swim decks on larger boats. Often a pair of them in our typical mid to larger sized trawler. Waist high in height

Thank you for asking, as I was about to.

When I first read the thread title, I was thinking Staples - as in the office supply store. Then I read on...and saw mention of attaching to the deck. Who would want to put staples (i.e. from a carpenter's staple gun) into a nice teak deck??!!!:facepalm:

Wifey B: Love staples, especially for the places we board on the swim platform. Also, for boarding the RIB. :D

I actually think they look nice unless they are very small diameter poles. Then they look skimpy.

We are in the process of adding staple rails to our boat to make it easier to get in and out of the dinghy. These are 2 inch staple rails.

18967-albums1148-picture7500.png

We added a custom staple to our Bayliner 3288 when my wife lost much of her right hand in a auto accident. She couldn’t grab anything with her right hand getting onto the swim step. It also came in very handy for getting on and off the dinghy and our kayaks. Our new Helmsman 38E will have three of them. That option was a no brainer.

28403-albums1199-picture7501.jpeg

We have one on our GB42. A great place to store the dinghy, and to put the BBQ. Also makes it a lot easier to climb out of the water and get in or out of the dinghy.

Cheers
Parry

Attachments

• IMG_20180612_114755.jpg
    IMG_20180612_114755.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20171216_182728.jpg
    IMG_20171216_182728.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 72
+1

Why does the middle one have the extra horizontal?
Where is your swim ladder? Do the stables interfere with it?

The staple rails are 34 inches tall. Some people add that center horizontal rail to make it easier to grab when you are in a dinghy. You can also get a hinged center rail to store a spool of line for stern tieing to shore.

In the picture the swim ladder is on the left and as long as it is less then 32 inches it will swing under the staple. You do have to crawl under the staple coming up.

My boat

We are in the process of adding staple rails to our boat to make it easier to get in and out of the dinghy. These are 2 inch staple rails.

18967-albums1148-picture7500.png

That's my boat in the picture. I gave Tanner mfg permission to use it on their website. I was exceptionally pleased with the quality of their craftsmanship and service. When we dock, first mate steps off swim step to secure aft dock line. The staples make that MUCH safer. Also Much safer launching and retrieving dinghy (with flybridge davit, 1st Mate handles painter from swim step while I run hoist from FB) and with getting in and out of Dinghy. I consider this addition to TINKA to be essential, and cannot say enough good things about Mark Tanner and his company. ⛵⛵???

We have had several recommendations for Tanner Manufacturing. We are picking up ours on Thursday and plan to get them installed in a couple of weeks. I also ordered backing plates to help reinforce them. I will be installing dinghy cleats at the same time. We went with two staples and a chain between them.

Interesting observation regarding your 4788, we're just now having this very discussion (putting staples on our 4788) and are (were?) leaning towards it. I too had some concerns about the ability of the swim platform to provide the required support - are you aware of any 4788's/Meridian 490's that had trouble with added staples?

Thanks!

It obviously depends on the boat. They need to be substantial to be safe and therefore provide utility, and not get in the way . Last boat Bayliner 4788 did not have them. Thought about it but the flimsy substructure of the swimstep and limited space convinced me otherwise. Current boat came with them. one is removeable and is usually in its dedicated parking spot out of the way when we are living on the boat. These work great. We tie dinghies/floats etc to them. They provide real security to anyone on the swim platform and they fit in with the scale of the boat.
~A

I am not aware of any issues on the 4788 other then corner damage from people hitting docks. I figured for $36 a pair it was an cheap addition.

A very strong yes, we love ours. We had ours installed prior to this current cruise, so helpful in boarding from the dink, pulling ourselves out of the water while swimming and as handholds while landing fish.

One of the best additions we did.

Interesting observation regarding your 4788, we're just now having this very discussion (putting staples on our 4788) and are (were?) leaning towards it. I too had some concerns about the ability of the swim platform to provide the required support - are you aware of any 4788's/Meridian 490's that had trouble with added staples?

Thanks!

No I am not aware of any problems but that was my concern, although with hindsight I would think that a substantial backing plate of a suitable material (SS or perhaps even Solid fiberglass or hi density polypropylene) would relieve stress on the thin swim platform structure. We have them on our current boat and love them. On our boat the center one is removeable and has duplicate emplacement holes on the forward edge of the swim platform up against the bulkhead, so it can be stowed there allowing easy access to the water/dinghy etc. That may or may not be practical on the 4788 but it works well.

I am attaching a picture of the stern area with one staple stowed in its 'parked' position.
4000-albums1033-picture7238.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom