Storage help/ideas for M12 Tools

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sndog

Hello again. I would like to get some ideas for storage solutions. I posted on reddit for milwaukee tool, but got zero responses. Here is what I posted there :
"
In the tool room/laundry room I have on my boat that I am currently refitting (remodeling), I am trying to figure out the best methodology for storage. on the wall, with slat-wall, I was going to use m12 tool post type hangers, but I have since decided to add in a sliding shelf to hold either two 4-drawer packouts, or 3-drawer dewalt. If I go with the packouts, I lose about 4 inches, and the tool hangers will not work so need another solution for my m12 tools. For the drawer, holding the packout drawers, that is 56" and will slide out of the way. It will have the two packouts with drawers, and the larger clear lid, packout on the side to hold my m18 600MCM kit. Above the drawers will be the half-size packouts, the clear cases in the photos and/or the yellow cases. Those each hold fluke equipment for testing. so trying to keep it out of the way. My main question, is, if I go with the packout drawers, and there is no tool hanger, is there a better solution to storing the m12 tools on the wall. There is maybe a 10-degree slope on the wall. The slat wall is there, then behind that is 1/2 plywood. For m12 tools, there is a quiet a few, some have multiples, but the list is mostly, drill, impact driver, 3/8" stubby impact, socket drivers, right angle drill, installation driver, soldering irons, oscillating tools, rotary tools, sawzall, bandsaw, pvc cutter, torque wrench, mcm cutter, stapler, rotary drill, jigsaw, die grinders, right angle die grinders, cutoff, caulk gun, circular saw, and a few others. Just to give an idea of what needs to go there. Some items like the pin nailer and stapler will be held in a smaller packout with the 3d inserts. The drawers in the 52" tool box, and the packout drawers will be filled with wrenches, sockets, pliers, screwdrivers, etc, standard mechanic tools. So little to no room there for them. In addition, to my main question, are there any ideas for battery storage. There is a substantial amount of m12 batteries, but also m18, Dewalt 12v and 20v, Ryobi and Ridgid batteries, along wih the associated chargers. If there are any thoughts for better storage please let me know. The shelves are placeholders currently.

The wood under the 2 drawer packout is a placeholder for the cabinet slides."

I would love some ideas on how to store the M12 tools against the wall. The clips that hold them on the slatwall currently are incredibly nice, but with the angle, it will cause interference issues with the sliding drawer if I go to the packout drawers, which is my preferred storage for this.

Thank you as always in advance.

Attachments

• 20240804_001545.jpg
    20240804_001545.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 20240804_001549.jpg
    20240804_001549.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 20240804_001541.jpg
    20240804_001541.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 20240804_001823.jpg
    20240804_001823.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 69
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-07-11 at 09.08.28_d6350d65.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-07-11 at 09.08.28_d6350d65.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 67
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-03-07 at 09.58.31_094c1659.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-03-07 at 09.58.31_094c1659.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 75
Some food for thought - I've always found this useful:
Many years ago, I was told a good way to evaluate storage on a boat was to take a long hard look at everything you see.
Imagine that a fairy tale giant reaches down and grabs your boat by the keel, turns it upside down and shakes it several times.
Will everything stay in place? If not, the boat isn't yet ready to go to sea...
That's a tough test, but it's a boat... they have a habit of moving about in unexpected ways.

I'd carefully evaluate the use of any storage approach which relies on gravity (and assumes that gravity will always be oriented to pull things "to the floor") to keep things in place (hooks, wall hanging storage).
Use your xray vision and "look" inside your storage containers. Can drawers slide open? If things in drawers shuffle around from boat motion, can they jam the drawers from opening?

Some food for thought - I've always found this useful:
Many years ago, I was told a good way to evaluate storage on a boat was to take a long hard look at everything you see.
Imagine that a fairy tale giant reaches down and grabs your boat by the keel, turns it upside down and shakes it several times.
Will everything stay in place? If not, the boat isn't yet ready to go to sea...
That's a tough test, but it's a boat... they have a habit of moving about in unexpected ways.

I'd carefully evaluate the use of any storage approach which relies on gravity (and assumes that gravity will always be oriented to pull things "to the floor") to keep things in place (hooks, wall hanging storage).
Use your xray vision and "look" inside your storage containers. Can drawers slide open? If things in drawers shuffle around from boat motion, can they jam the drawers from opening?
Thank you. And that is what I am doing. The vertical mounts were going to have bungee straps to keep everything locked down. Same with doors are locking and slides are locking in open and the closed position. Currently it looks like everything would fly around, as it would, but I am currently using the items for placement guidelines to get a better idea of the layout of the storage.

...were going to have bungee straps to keep everything...
Bungee cords snap, break, shred, weaken and lose tension, and otherwise fail with appalling regularity.
If this was the 1983 movie A CHRISTMAS STORY with Darren McGavin, you could lose an eye!
I prefer rat-shxt straps.
In our ExpeditionVehicle, we carry a crate of these versatile devices.
Crank those puppies down, and always remember to chant the magic words:
* "That bad boy ain't going noplace!"

Thank you. And that is what I am doing. The vertical mounts were going to have bungee straps to keep everything locked down. Same with doors are locking and slides are locking in open and the closed position. Currently it looks like everything would fly around, as it would, but I am currently using the items for placement guidelines to get a better idea of the layout of the storage.
I have been a diesel mechanic for 55 years and a carpenter out of necessity (built 3 houses for family) for 30 of those and I also own a trawler because I have so much free time you know. With all that, I can't imagine a scenario where I would want to have every piece of tooling I own on board with me. Especially given the challenges you are now facing with storage. When I was outfitting my boat (44' Island Gypsy) I gave some though as to what would be the worst thing I might possibly need to repair at sea and tooled up accordingly. Tooling is all confined to one locker and half of the space under the v-berth for a collapsible winch and trolley system. The other side of the space under the v-berth is storage for my spare parts. Personally, I'd leave most of that stuff at home cus all your major work is going to be done on the hard where you will have access to whatever you need.

I have been a diesel mechanic for 55 years and a carpenter out of necessity (built 3 houses for family) for 30 of those and I also own a trawler because I have so much free time you know. With all that, I can't imagine a scenario where I would want to have every piece of tooling I own on board with me. Especially given the challenges you are now facing with storage. When I was outfitting my boat (44' Island Gypsy) I gave some though as to what would be the worst thing I might possibly need to repair at sea and tooled up accordingly. Tooling is all confined to one locker and half of the space under the v-berth for a collapsible winch and trolley system. The other side of the space under the v-berth is storage for my spare parts. Personally, I'd leave most of that stuff at home cus all your major work is going to be done on the hard where you will have access to whatever you need.
Thank you for the information. As this vessel has a long journey ahead of it to get back home, I want to make sure it is nicely equipped to handle most situations for a repair.

Back
Top Bottom