Storing Kayak aboard, any idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
View attachment 62284View attachment 62285

I use these carriers. When I have to go through the locks, I put the kayaks on the flybridge deck and fold in the carriers. They are very secure.

Your setup looks very nice. I am thinking about something similar but maybe using U shaped hook to put the kayak above the rail so it won't be on our way when walking around the boat on the side step.
Like mentioned above I will need to take some measurement when possible.
Thank you for the pictures!

And many thanks everybody for your suggestions, all this gives me ideas and a good start.

L.

Going with a tandem kayak will halve your challenge.

In a sense yes but it will add another challenge because of the length of the kayak. A single one is around 9 feet long, a tandem is almst 12 feet which is way too long to store on my boat.

L.

Do not waste your dollars, energy or space on a hard kayak. Go for inflatable and never look back. Storable in the bidge or in its bag on the deck, out of the way. They are not designed for off shore long hard trips, but most suitable for in shore work. Like sitting in a water bed. Warm, no cold water bum, just pure fun.

I respectfully disagree.

My wife and I tried inflatable Kayaks, after owning hard ones for a while. They really suck!
Our hard kayaks are 13.5' and 14', they weigh 35 and 40 lbs respectively, paddle very easily, directionally stable, I can lift them (individually) from the water to the rack that I keep them on without help. They stow well out of the way, resting on a rack that I built above the aft deck (originally built for a laser, so holds two Kayaks effortlessly).

Friends on vacation hired two single kayaks. The hire guy referred to the double ones as "the divorce boats.

I respectfully disagree.

My wife and I tried inflatable Kayaks, after owning hard ones for a while. They really suck!
Our hard kayaks are 13.5' and 14', they weigh 35 and 40 lbs respectively, paddle very easily, directionally stable, I can lift them (individually) from the water to the rack that I keep them on without help. They stow well out of the way, resting on a rack that I built above the aft deck (originally built for a laser, so holds two Kayaks effortlessly).

Ditto this comment. We had inflatables, ended up giving them away. I guess my takeaway from them is that they're better than nothing. Inflatables are not nearly as clean through the water. Hard kayaks never deflate or leak, and are aren't affected by UV light from the sun. If you have the ability to carry them, hard kayaks are the way to go, IMO.

What kind of boat? I had ss racks made to store outside fwd rails. If necessary store on deck when transiting locks.

Be careful about storing a kayak on the swim platform. We had one get washed off in some heavyish weather, and it was tied down.

Fortunately someone later found it and we got it back.

There are some very nice "drop stitched" models out now....Not cheap though (+$1,000)

https://www.seaeagle.com/RazorLite

I can vouch for high psi inflatable kayaks.

I own 2 kayaks and 1 paddle board. My test was out the paddle board on two chairs and stand in the middle. I'm 6'5 265 and it bent a. It but stayed rigged.

Heck, in the two person one, we had 2 x 250lb + men in it. It worked great! IMG_5457.jpg. Here is another picture of me and my son in oneIMG_3845.jpg.

How about an inflatable paddle board with a seat and trolling motor.

OR

A peddle board.

Greetings,
Mr. L_t. Please forgive me. I'd forgotten about Mr. Canoehead (Canada's greatest aluminum crime fighter.) Don't store it, wear it.

I think a while back there was mention of storing them on the swim platform. Be careful if you do. We lost one off the swim platform last summer in a mildly sporting following seas. I checked it at one point and it was fine, but when we got into Campbell River, it was gone.

Fortunately someone came upon it and dropped it off at the local fuel dock where we picked it up the next morning. We got lucky, and I'm thankful for honest boaters and the CA Coast Guard. We left a generous "thank you" for the guy who recovered it.

This reminds me that it is a good idea to write your name and phone number with a sharpie on your kayak so when you lose it, the Coast Guard can contact you rather than search for you in the water.

This reminds me that it is a good idea to write your name and phone number with a sharpie on your kayak so when you lose it, the Coast Guard can contact you rather than search for you in the water.

That's a good idea.

As soon as we realized it was gone, we called the coast guard, not because we thought we could get it back - we didn't - but because we wanted them to know it was unmanned so if someone came across it, they didn't start a search and rescue. They were appreciative, and we left our contact info in case it turned up.

Then, about 30 minutes later, we overheard someone call the coast guard to report they had found a swamped kayak. The CG said they knew what it was, and the recovering boat said they would leave it at the local fuel dock. A minute later, my phone rang and it was the CG. The rest is history, and a story I can tell on TF.... :)

Greetings,
Mr. L_t. Please forgive me. I'd forgotten about Mr. Canoehead (Canada's greatest aluminum crime fighter.) Don't store it, wear it.

Mr RTF, I was thinking that it would be better to tie the kayak on y back so like a turtle I could sleep in it at night :D

Finally yesterday we go t get our two kayaks. We got two of the following for a very reasonable price (400$CAD, peanuts for our southern neighbors), and nice surprise, they are Canadian made (rare nowadays to find something locally made).

imageService

After much reading here, and given my limited storage space, I'm going with the inflatable Sea Eagle Razorlite. 7-10 minutes to inflate and only 28 lbs. I can store it (deflated) up on the bridge..
Drop stitched construction (like my Dinghy floor) and Great reviews, Tracks and paddles like a hardshell with none of the storage hassles.....

393RLK_P.jpg

Last edited:
After much reading here, and given my limited storage space, I'm going with the inflatable Sea Eagle Razorlite. 7-10 minutes to inflate and only 28 lbs. I can store it (deflated) up on the bridge..
Drop stitched construction (like my Dinghy floor) and Great reviews, Tracks and paddles like a hardshell with none of the storage hassles.....

393RLK_P.jpg

Looks nice. Give us a review on it after you have used it this summer.

The kids are after me to get an inflatable stand-up paddle board. Similar idea.

The new semi-hard inflatable kayaks and SUP's are great. A big improvement over the soft blow up toys of old.

But do yourself a favour and buy a good 12V electric air pump designed specifically for the job. The hand pumps they normally come with are a struggle at anything over 10 psi.

Back
Top Bottom