Storms a Comin’

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When it comes to winter, snow, and bitter cold, there are but 3 types of people:

Those that can be told about it.
Those that need to see it out the window
And then there are those who need to pee on the electric fences of life for themselves.

Thanks for telling me about it. ;)

Ted

Greetings,
Mr. OC. "...that migrate South....". Sorta begs the question of where the phrase "Silly Goose" comes from.

iu

Greetings,
Mr. OC. "...that migrate South....". Sorta begs the question of where the phrase "Silly Goose" comes from.

iu

I seem to remember you being South during the winter. Guess you got the flock out of there with the honking Canadians.

Ted

Well I can hear the lake booming making ice...it's going below 0 tonight...the snow crunches when I carry in the wood for the stove, winds blowing out of the NE across the lake and the dog sets speed records for going out to pee....YUP it's winter!
Going to be in Fort Lauderdale next week on a boat...guess we'll see how long I stay a northerner
On a good note...Got the vaccine on Wednesday...hopefully the beginning of the end for Covid

These little guys stay all year long. Always thought they were Winter Wrens, but learned today that they are now recognized as Pacific Wrens. Pretty impressive considering we can have snow on the valley floor for over five months. Speaking of impressive:

Pacific Wren were considered the same species as Winter Wren until 2010 when researchers found that wrens in the West differed from birds in the East and from birds in Europe. Winter Wren was then split into three different species; the Pacific Wren of the West, the Winter Wren of the East, and the Eurasian Wren in Europe…

Pacific Wren Overview, All About Birds, Cornell Lab of Ornithology

Last edited:
On a good note...Got the vaccine on Wednesday...hopefully the beginning of the end for Covid

Good to be on the crest of that wave! Remember to stay safe until you get the second one!!

It's not a proper winter until it's a clear blue sky, you choke on the first breath you take when you step outside, and the snow squeaks under you boots. Now that's winter.

I love that sound!

Rob

Sand between my toes instead of snow under my boots. Ice in my ice tea instead of ice under my butt after I slip and fall on it. My boat in the water being used instead on the hard waiting for summer.

Ted

Greetings,
Mr. f. No wood. What do you think junk mail is for although I suppose now that Mr. MM is retired someone else will have to supply the fuel.

Nice looking piece of equipment. But what part of "we" chops the wood?

90% done by an electric log splitter with assistance from the two of us, with the rest by me with an axe. On a frosty day in the fall I paused while splitting wood to watch & listen to a flock of Canada Geese flying south overhead, and wondered how many times that had happened in Canada's past.

Greetings,
Mr. f. No wood. What do you think junk mail is for although I suppose now that Mr. MM is retired someone else will have to supply the fuel.

Dang! Why didn't I think of that while I was working? Oh, ya...I would have been fired.

Gorgeous walking along the shore today we the fresh snow, no wind so the bay was like glass.

Had my eyelids freeze shut once -that was cold

I hate to make you guys feel bad but it's 57* here today but we have winds in the 20's with gusts to the mid-30's.

Funny thing, after we got all of our Christmas decorations up my wife was bemoaning that we had no animation to make things look alive. The wind fixed that for us. Our decorations have animated themselves all over the front yard.:socool:

GFC, how did we ever grow up without the "windchill"?

I'd rather the treat of a hurricane any day over one more Rhode Island winter. The lifetime I spent in the one awful winter there has never left my consciousness. Snow and the resulting ankle-breaking slush have no allure whatsoever. I'd be ok with one season, but nobody, even tropical folks have one season - there it's rainy or not season. I am fine with NWFLs sorta two seasons.

Ah yes, February.... I remember the days of leaky boots and slush. My feet were so wet and cold they were gray in color.
Fingers gray and numb because they were cold and wet.
NO THANK YOU.

Last edited:
Ah yes, February.... I remember the days of leaky boots and slush. My feet were so wet and cold they were gray in color.
Fingers gray and numb because they were cold and wet.
NO THANK YOU.

Being comfortable in winter or foul weather is all about being prepared and having the right gear. Can't say enough good things about well made gore-tex socks!

Being comfortable in winter or foul weather is all about being prepared and having the right gear. Can't say enough good things about well made gore-tex socks!

long underwear, wool socks, down coat, felt pack boots and reverse sewn mittens and a fur hat.

I miss the snow and the skiing, but I get by with the occasional visit back to Canada. but I've mange to adapt to Australian temperatures.

It's looking like a perfect Christmas in Adelaide, +30C instead of -30C
and we might head out for a cruise on Boxing Day.

:speed boat: :)

I admit winter in Florida away from the snow, took some getting use to, about 2 minutes. :rofl:

Ted

When I started as a letter carrier, an old timer shook a finger at me and said, "You're going to learn to hate snow".

Never happened, and I live in a place which means "People of the Snow" in a language thousands of years old, so you know it's been famous for snow for a while!

So, how bad was the current storm?
I haven't seen but one or two comments.

So, how bad was the current storm?
I haven't seen but one or two comments.

Too warm, mostly rain, so less than a foot of snow.

Kitimat is 60 miles up Douglas Channel and is at its end, snugged up into the Coast Mountains, so we get a combination of marine and inland weather. It'll be bucketing rain in Prince Rupert and Ketchikan and be snowing like crazy here.

Our big snows come after -15C or so cold snaps, where c-c-cold air gets trapped inland and then avalanches downhill to the coast with strong northerly outflow winds.

As the cold air slows down and it starts warming up, sometimes a moist Pacific system will ride up over it. If there's enough cold air still flowing out from inland, it turns to snow a couple hundred feet above the valley floor.

Looks weird to see 4 feet or more fresh snow on the valley floor, and the trees on the mountains have hardly any snow on them.

Still love it.

Last edited:
Hmmm,wasnt as bad as the TV weather women thought.
Oh well, maybe January.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom