sugestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kpinnn

Vessel Name
Periwinkle
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 36
I am replacing the impellers on my trawler. to fo this you need to remove the raw water pumps. to remove the pumps you must disconnect the hoses. the hoses are very stiff and wire wrapped. So I believe the only way to remove them is cut them off. This is fine while in port but not so fine if needed to be done in route. These hoses are not under pressure, are they over kill? Is there a hose that would be easier to work with that would not collapse. These are 1 inch ID and due require about a 7 or 8 inch diameter 90 degree bend.
Ken

If the hoses are very old and stiff then yes you will need to cut them off. However, new hoses should not be an issue to remove for many years. I would also recommend having spare hoses on board so if you had to cut them off you would have spares.

I keep 6’ of every diameter hose my boat uses. This way I always have a spare should I experience a hose failure.

The suction hose (from seacock or strainer to pump) usually has wire as part of the hose construction to keep it from collapsing under vacuum. Don't confuse a wire reinforced hose with necessarily being stiff from age. Don't replace a wire reinforced hose with one that's not.

Ted

I have a tool that is shaped like a big J that I use to break the hoses free from the nipples. You slide it in between the hose and the nipple and then slide it sideways around the nipple to break the hose loose. Works great. Got it at Napa.

I use the Mac tool on the left for this type of work. Don't ever have to cut the old tough hoses.

Attachments

• Mac tool.jpg
    Mac tool.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 81
If the hoses aren't made in some kind of custom shape, consider switching over to silicone as they will stay pliable for a very long time. Here is one vendor.

If the hoses aren't made in some kind of custom shape, consider switching over to silicone as they will stay pliable for a very long time. Here is one vendor.

Make sure that’s wire reinforced and not just reinforced silicon hose. There is a big difference.

Don’t assume the hoses won’t come off. While in port close the sea cock, loosen the clamp and wiggle the hose end off. Sometimes you need to get aggressive. Then put it back.

Use your heat gun, works every time.

pete

Back
Top Bottom