Swim Ladder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mml2112

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
2008 Mainship 400
Season's Greetings All!

2008 MT 400

Swim ladder is losing it's protective paint and is generally in poor shape, hard to deploy etc.

1. Should I clean it up or replace it.

2. Anybody know the make/model of the ladder or something that would be a good replacement?

Please disregard unless you have new info. I found Bella Donna's post from 2021.

could you post the link to bella donna. i couldn't find it.

I dont recall the Bella Donna discussion but my Bacchus website -Projects section has a write up w pics of a mod I did to me 2008 MS 34HT. It has a mfg link.

I believe the mfg sells parts as I seem to recall one owner that was able to add an addnl rung/step to a short ladder.

Part of my ladder had peeling coating and I planned to have it powder coated. When I started removing the peeling coating I found the parts were actually SS andcI just removed the coating. This is true of the upper mounting but not the side rails which I believe are cast alum w powder coating.

Last edited:
The only problem is that all of the ladders at the manufacturers site are made to connect under the swim platform.

With a dinghy in the way on the swim platform that offers no access to the boat.

We got a 5 step ladder, from West Marine, that hangs over the toe rail on the gunnel and gets pretty deep, but we also got a rope with treads that we hang on the last step if necessary.

Works for us.

Last time I had the boat hauled several years ago, I tackled this project. The manufacturer is still in business, but the pricing is very expensive, somewhere in the neighborhood of $600. and a minimum 4 week wait. Instead, I removed the ladder and had it re-powder coated. Turned out great.

The mfr of the OEM ladder bumped up the prise to $850. It was $466 last month. Argh!

Sailorskip-How much did the power coating job cost?

As I recall, it was less than $200.

Isn't the rest of the deck hardware on the Mainship 400 stainless steel? Seems like a more lasting and serviceable surface than powder coating.

I have the new ladder from the OEM. The old ladder has been removed.

It appears there was a white sealant used between the ladder mounting bracket and the swim platform. Perhaps to keep water out of the boat holes in the platform.

Any suggestions on what to do to prep the swim platform for the new ladder install and what sealant I should use?

r u thru bolting? if so, proper way would be to rout out wood inside platform maybe 1/8" bigger than bolt. tape bottom hole and fill with epoxy and then re-drill to proper size. this seals swim platform core.

Not positive about your 400 but my 2008 34 has an alum plate burried in the fglas platform. Holes were tapped and SS bolts held the ladder on.
I didnt bother w sealant when reinstalling... just used antiseize to prevent galling w SS & alum.
I had a bolt break off removing but could just drill another hole in ladder & plate & tap the alum plate in new location.
Sealant would certainly do no harm.
My Bacchus website... projects... shows the mod I made to make the ladder more comfortable w bare feet.

Back
Top Bottom