Swimming by the boat? With the sharks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It`s true shark attacks are rare, but if it happens it`s usually serious if not fatal. We`ve gone through periods when there have been a series of attacks at northern NSW beaches. We now catch and tag them, and if a tag registers on a reader we know that shark is around. And they travel, long distances, meeting friends, nibbling surfers, that kind of thing. Sydney Harbor has lots of bull sharks, the harbour beaches are nice, but....

It`s true shark attacks are rare, but if it happens it`s usually serious if not fatal. We`ve gone through periods when there have been a series of attacks at northern NSW beaches. We now catch and tag them, and if a tag registers on a reader we know that shark is around. And they travel, long distances, meeting friends, nibbling surfers, that kind of thing. Sydney Harbor has lots of bull sharks, the harbour beaches are nice, but....

A very large bull shark passed under our small chartered dink a few years ago in crystal clear waters just off Cayo Costa. I normally don't worry about them much but would not want to have been in the water that day. Bulls are considered among the most aggressive sharks and they've been sighted as far inland in North America as Manchester, Ohio--upstream from Cincinnati! :eek:

'Jaws' ruined me for sea bathing, although I have been know to do the odd splash and dash - especially the 'dash' bit.. You see the weakness of the old argument about it being say, less dangerous than driving home, or you're more likely to get struck by lightening, is that these dangers are all additive. You go swim, then you still drive home, it's not an either, or, situation. Same as hang-gliding, sky-diving, etc, etc. It's all additive risk.
However, I do like snorkeling. Then you can see the buggers coming...:D

I see to many sharks and speaking to pro fishermen in the area they do as well to go swimming in deep water, especially in dark water and at dawn and dusk.

Outdoor shower on top deck works well and we have several spots in sandbanks around our home grounds that turn into nice closed pools as the tide drops so we limit our swimming to these spots.

I have swum in 4000 metres of water when becalmed 300 nm offshore once, that was pretty freaky.
Lasted about 3 minutes, maybe 4.

Last edited:
'Jaws' ruined me for sea bathing, although I have been know to do the odd splash and dash - especially the 'dash' bit.. You see the weakness of the old argument about it being say, less dangerous than driving home, or you're more likely to get struck by lightening, is that these dangers are all additive. You go swim, then you still drive home, it's not an either, or, situation. Same as hang-gliding, sky-diving, etc, etc. It's all additive risk.
However, I do like snorkeling. Then you can see the buggers coming...:D

I was hit by lightning 8 years ago broken femur and shoulder, kidneys shut down blood clots then rehab . I will take another lightning strike over a shark any day :D

If in risky areas we have used a prototype shark deterrent device which keeps them pretty far away. Typically where we usually boat in the NE this is not a concern.

We swim often - we also enjoy diving, fishing, and spearfishing and have seen sharks when doing all of these activities. Just don't put bait in the water when you're in there.

...There are other creatures of the sea that can be just as fatal, but don't get the publicity of sharks. In Australia we also have crocodiles, blue ringed octopus, beaked sea snakes, cone snails...

Cone snails? A deadly snail? Run for your life, it's a cone snail! (Google check) Well what do you know, they do exist and they are deadly. Yikes, it has a little death snorkel with a barbed venom injector. I had no idea such a thing existed. Yeow. I'm never going to stroll a beach barefoot ever again.

When my daughter was about 8-years old she saw kids using a boogie board at the beach. Naturally, she wanted one too. The next week we were to cruise to Block Island and we bought her a boogie board to take along. She was so excited she could hardly wait. As we approached the island a huge shark appeared next to the boat (the shark gets bigger every time we tell the story). Daughter dearest decided boogie boards were not for her. Boogie board career ended right then and there.

When my daughter was about 8-years old she saw kids using a boogie board at the beach. Naturally, she wanted one too. The next week we were to cruise to Block Island and we bought her a boogie board to take along. She was so excited she could hardly wait. As we approached the island a huge shark appeared next to the boat (the shark gets bigger every time we tell the story). Daughter dearest decided boogie boards were not for her. Boogie board career ended right then and there.

We really love Block island as a destination and also love to boogie board there amongst other things.
The real danger is not sharks in this area - it is boaters.
2 deaths in just the past couple of days and both by prop strikes.
Just yesterday afternoon where my daughter works on the dock a 12 year old was killed by a strike.
Please be careful out there.

We really love Block island as a destination and also love to boogie board there amongst other things.
The real danger is not sharks in this area - it is boaters.
2 deaths in just the past couple of days and both by prop strikes.
Just yesterday afternoon where my daughter works on the dock a 12 year old was killed by a strike.
Please be careful out there.

Back in summers during the 60's I don't recall too much death type stuff on Block Island. We cruised into its big bay nearly every year would often rent bicycles to tour the island. Swimming too... Fond memories! :D

If in risky areas we have used a prototype shark deterrent device which keeps them pretty far away. Typically where we usually boat in the NE this is not a concern.

Please explain... inquiring minds want to know! :thumb:

Back in summers during the 60's I don't recall too much death type stuff on Block Island. We cruised into its big bay nearly every year would often rent bicycles to tour the island. Swimming too... Fond memories! :D

Yesterdays tragedy was in Northport harbor, our home port - BI is a place we visit often about 100 nmiles away.

Please explain... inquiring minds want to know! :thumb:

An acoustic device that will move and keep sharks away even when actively feeding. Based upon the many test trails that have been completed so far it has worked every time on a variety of species in the Caribbean, Atlantic and Pacific oceans. The signal has a carrier wave and an embedded wave form that sharks inherently avoid and it can be 'heard' over a good distance.

There's a pretty interesting website ( Ocearch.org ) that shows you where tagged sharks have been recorded, and then you can aslo see the tracking history of a particular shark. White sharks tagged off Massachusetts have gone all the way to Key West!!

Sharks in the Mass area, used to be uncommon but now that there is a seal population explosion on Cape Cod sharks have become a regular thing.

An acoustic device that will move and keep sharks away even when actively feeding. Based upon the many test trails that have been completed so far it has worked every time on a variety of species in the Caribbean, Atlantic and Pacific oceans. The signal has a carrier wave and an embedded wave form that sharks inherently avoid and it can be 'heard' over a good distance.

Thanks for reply... Have a trade mark name?

I don't even stay in the water in the Bahamas when the nurse sharks show up. That's not on my bucket list!

It's not in production yet unfortunately - "Sharkstopper".

I watched one good You Tube video on Shark stopper... watch more when time permits. Seems to work well at least at onset of sound.

Last edited:
Yes, I swim regularly in Florida waters and off my boat; however, I don't swim in Tampa Bay as it is a notorious shark haven. I stay out of the water during the early/later hours and try to apply common sense. As I get older and more cautious, I find myself diving less frequently though.

Consider how many shark attacks there are on the east coast each year, maybe 7 or 8 fatal and millions of people swimming. Your chances are better of winning the lotto. :)

Consider how many shark attacks there are on the east coast each year, maybe 7 or 8 fatal and millions of people swimming. Your chances are better of winning the lotto. :)

Being boaties and in the water a lot more often than the majority increases our chances.

Add in remote locations so slow medical response and pretty much any form of attack means game over.

I was hit by lightning 8 years ago broken femur and shoulder, kidneys shut down blood clots then rehab . I will take another lightning strike over a shark any day :D

I had a fairly distant cousin struck by lightning and killed when there wasn't even a storm, just a random strike at a tree and hit her in the head. I can't imagine what you went through and amazed you survived it all.

Simi

Are you taking into account the millions of people who frequent the beaches. Far more of them than boaters at any time. Come to SoBe and get shocked.

Well, for a more likely event, we're all highly more likely to get the Zika virus.

Or killed by a bee attack.

I'm still wondering about dem beavers.....

We only have a beaver problem during the Columbus Day Regatta. :)

Two years ago Aussie champion surfer was competing at Jeffreys Bay South Africa and physically fought off a shark attacking him and his board. The attack was filmed and widely broadcast, the shark`s fin clearly visible moving about next to Fanning.
Yesterday, while Fanning was competing, the same contest had to be suspended and the surfers scooped up by rescue boats as a large shark breached in the area.
That slightly ups the risk level,imo.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom