Tanker ship sunk by mega-yacht near Nassau

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dark out, cruising at 20 knots, poor fwd visibility due to spray from the hull, undimmed interior lighting, Captain gone for 10 minutes, leaving only a deckhand on the bridge, what could go wrong?

A BC Ferry runs aground, sinks and 2 lives lost.

If you do the math, the yacht was less than 4 miles from the tanker when the captain left the bridge. How do you not see a broad side steel ship on radar at 4 miles? If you're running at 20 Knots, how are you not seeing the broad side of a steel ship within 10 miles of you?

Ted

If you do the math, the yacht was less than 4 miles from the tanker when the captain left the bridge. How do you not see a broad side steel ship on radar at 4 miles? If you're running at 20 Knots, how are you not seeing the broad side of a steel ship within 10 miles of you?

Ted

You know, that makes me think that AIS was expected to ring the bell of collision course. Radar may have seen the tanker but no one was watching radar.

You know, that makes me think that AIS was expected to ring the bell of collision course. Radar may have seen the tanker but no one was watching radar.

Ok, so what was the plan for a 45' sailboat without AIS? This is probably a case of arrogance of size (we're big and fast [just like a freighter], everything will move out of our way).

Ted

Ok, so what was the plan for a 45' sailboat without AIS? This is probably a case of arrogance of size (we're big and fast [just like a freighter], everything will move out of our way).

Ted
Umm, what sailboat?
My comment was perhaps a dependence on electronics to give a warning for the yacht, an alarm that did not occur since we know the AIS on tanker was not operational

Umm, what sailboat?
My comment was perhaps a dependence on electronics to give a warning for the yacht, an alarm that did not occur since we know the AIS on tanker was not operational

But do we know the AIS wasn't operational? I watched the video. For the AIS on that ship to be received by a shore based facility, it would need to include satellite transmission. VHF only AIS is what's required and probably not receivable by land stations in the USA .

My buddy just arrived in South Bimini. His AIS signal disappeared about 20 miles off of Florida.

Ted

AIS or not, who cares. That's only one of several tools.

Were the ship's nav lights working? Was the yacht running at night at 20 kts without radar? Did the captain/mate not check for traffic before turning the helm over to an unqualified deck hand? If the captain was really only away for 10 minutes, the ship was 3.3 nm away when he turned over the helm. Or was he actually away for longer? Maybe a lot longer? Was there any radio communications attempted? Did the deck hand even know how to use the radio? And if you strike another boat's port quarter, you have some esplainin' to do on the whole stand-on and give-way thing.

The breadth of knowledge on this forum often amazes me. You guys are awesome.

I know that a standard tactic of the Bahamian Govt. in situations where laws are broken or environmental damage is done is vessel confiscation. I have a friend who's boat was seized over a mistake he made declaring the amount of ammo he had on board for his firearm. They kept the boat until the fine, which was quite large, was paid. I'm not saying that this is the same situation, but it will be interesting to see if they do something similar here. If the reports about the damage to the yacht are correct, it likely isn't going anywhere for a while anyway.

Admittedly, I am jumping to conclusions about who is at fault here, but it seems like the yacht's negligence caused quite a bit of discomfort and trouble for the people of the cays that relied on Tropic Breeze for fuel. I can see a Bahamian politician playing that up for all it is worth.

The breadth of knowledge on this forum often amazes me. You guys are awesome.

I know that a standard tactic of the Bahamian Govt. in situations where laws are broken or environmental damage is done is vessel confiscation. I have a friend who's boat was seized over a mistake he made declaring the amount of ammo he had on board for his firearm. They kept the boat until the fine, which was quite large, was paid. I'm not saying that this is the same situation, but it will be interesting to see if they do something similar here. If the reports about the damage to the yacht are correct, it likely isn't going anywhere for a while anyway.

Admittedly, I am jumping to conclusions about who is at fault here, but it seems like the yacht's negligence caused quite a bit of discomfort and trouble for the people of the cays that relied on Tropic Breeze for fuel. I can see a Bahamian politician playing that up for all it is worth.

It's not politics, it's self protection. You can rest assured that arrest of the boats until all fines and damages are paid is normal course.

As to mistake declaring ammo, the Bahamas make it clear from the start that they require exact and accurate reporting and that they will check before departure. Their gun laws are firm.

Many boats over the years have been arrested in the Bahamas for not declaring and clearing customs on entry. People who couldn't pay (like the French sailors who came down from NC, are deported, but boat kept.

As to mistake declaring ammo, the Bahamas make it clear from the start that they require exact and accurate reporting and that they will check before departure. Their gun laws are firm.

When they stopped us with their largest patrol boat and started counting, I was, you guessed it; "sweating bullets". We passed..:D

When they stopped us with their largest patrol boat and started counting, I was, you guessed it; "sweating bullets". We passed..:D

They warn you and some people are just too lazy to do accurate counts when arriving, so when they leave, they're either missing ammo or have picked up extra and both are frowned at.

Yeah, my buddy had four boxes on board, 25 rounds each. They declared that many in Bimini when they cleared in, then got checked in Chub. One box was missing four rounds. He assumed it was a full box. Easy mistake to make, but still his fault.

It’s one of the reasons I don’t bring guns over there.

Yeah, my buddy had four boxes on board, 25 rounds each. They declared that many in Bimini when they cleared in, then got checked in Chub. One box was missing four rounds. He assumed it was a full box. Easy mistake to make, but still his fault.

It’s one of the reasons I don’t bring guns over there.

Simple question they had for your buddy. Who did you shoot with the four rounds? Find them for us. Prove you didn't kill anyone. Bet he won't make that mistake again.

As you said, easy mistake to make, but not one they have any tolerance of.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom