Tariffs on boats made in China

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptKevin

As I understand the current tariff rules there is a 25% tariff on boats made in China and brought to the US. I have been looking at the possibility of purchasing an older - 2008-2014 - boat from Canada that was built in china. Anyone have any information if a vessel built before the new tariff was put in place still has to pay that or has there always been that tariff. Thanks

I certainly would not rely on my advice as being accurate but I think it is only on new boats. Check with an attorney.

I don’t know your exact answer. I do know that you need to be sure. My neighbor was head of Sales for North Pacific Yachts. He was always trying to explain to US buyers why the cheap used NP in Canada was going to cost more than the Expensive used NP in Canada.

Thanks all- after a bit more research it appears that if the boat went direct to Canada and then gets imported, no matter the age, you get to pay the tariff on the value of the boat. But right now with the exchange rate being so high it might actually be an overall cost savings. Anyway for now just trying to find options as there are no boats of the size/type I am looking for here in the northwest.

Thanks all- after a bit more research it appears that if the boat went direct to Canada and then gets imported, no matter the age, you get to pay the tariff on the value of the boat. But right now with the exchange rate being so high it might actually be an overall cost savings. Anyway for now just trying to find options as there are no boats of the size/type I am looking for here in the northwest.
Perhaps it’s different where a boat went to Canada first and in then being imported into the US, but when imported directly, the tariff only applies to the China “content” in the boat. Engines, generators, and lots of other equipment with a different country of origin is not subject to the special China tariff. So only a portion of the boat’s value gets hit with the big tax, and everything else is hit with the usual 1.5% or whatever it is.

Back
Top Bottom