Teak deck recaulk job; is this normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryastu

Veteran Member
Getting prepared to recaulk my teak deck which seems overall pretty straight forward. However, where my teak butts up against the fiberglass on both inboard and outboard side of the deck, rather than a fat bead of deck caulk, there is a thin line of some other type of caulking material (photos attached). I’m curious if this is common; and if so are there some traditional practices to deal with it?

As a layman, my initial impression is that I need to dig out the old stuff, clean it up, and recaulk with the TDS 400SIS (as I’m using for the rest of the deck), but to my eye looks narrow, and seem like a weak spot going forward.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your input! -Ryan

Attachments

• C6BB9801-95FD-44E7-9951-D5CD989FEB88.jpeg
    C6BB9801-95FD-44E7-9951-D5CD989FEB88.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 6341D8C7-4CB7-41F8-90A6-432F3C38EA9D.jpeg
    6341D8C7-4CB7-41F8-90A6-432F3C38EA9D.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 64
  • 73FA0005-D5F7-4DA1-8CCA-A4CB2ACEE0C7.png
    73FA0005-D5F7-4DA1-8CCA-A4CB2ACEE0C7.png
    538.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 2E0ED5A1-EDBE-4261-9130-586D6A48D1FE.png
    2E0ED5A1-EDBE-4261-9130-586D6A48D1FE.png
    554.6 KB · Views: 61
Is the teak bedded with dolphinite? Maybe you’re seeing some of the bedding?

Just use the same TDS caulk. You want the same result, it sticks to the teak and stays flexible, so use the same product.
Reefing out old caulk from grooves is a tedious, miserable job I don't envy you.

Just use the same TDS caulk. You want the same result, it sticks to the teak and stays flexible, so use the same product.
Reefing out old caulk from grooves is a tedious, miserable job I don't envy you.
Yeah, fortunately I don’t have a ton to do, couple narrow side decks…..

Greetings,
Mr. R. Looks to me that inboard and outboard of the teak was never caulked and the ?? your finger is pointing to in the first picture is factory bedding compound that has oozed out over time. Follow advice already given after cleaning the area(s). My. $.02.

Jamestown Distributers have a tool for use on multi-tools that wll cut the caulking. They are shaped like a J and are very very sharp. You run it down the caulking and it will cut most of the caulk loose. Then sand the sides of the planks. They recommend putting a bond breaker on the bottom of the grooves so the caulk doesn’t stick to the bottom of the groove abd only sticks to the teak on the side of the grooves. I tried and tried to get the little rolls of tape to stick in the bottom of the grooves but finally gave up on that. The caulk seemed to work fine without the bond breaker. They also sell a tool that you stick sandpaper on and run it up and down the grooves to sand the sides of the planks. It worked pretty good.

Jamestown Distributers have a tool for use on multi-tools that wll cut the caulking. They are shaped like a J and are very very sharp. You run it down the caulking and it will cut most of the caulk loose. Then sand the sides of the planks. They recommend putting a bond breaker on the bottom of the grooves so the caulk doesn’t stick to the bottom of the groove abd only sticks to the teak on the side of the grooves. I tried and tried to get the little rolls of tape to stick in the bottom of the grooves but finally gave up on that. The caulk seemed to work fine without the bond breaker. They also sell a tool that you stick sandpaper on and run it up and down the grooves to sand the sides of the planks. It worked pretty good.
Dave,

My research/prep pretty much has me going down the path you outline. Thank you!

The tool you speak of (by Fein I think); has a ‘Starlock attachment’, can those be used on most multi tools: or is there an adapter that allows them to be used? I don’t think my multi tool has a universal attachment.

I have heard a lot of good things about the tool. -Ryan

I don’t remember exactly how it was configured but I don’t own a Fein multi tool. So I believe it worked on my Ridgid tool.

It`s extracted from deceased Dolphins, not sure I`d encourage using it
Lol, I love that.
Dolphinite is used to bed teak trim pieces many times, but I didn’t know if it was also used on the deck or if decks were always poly sulfide sealant. It was only a thought.

Dave,

My research/prep pretty much has me going down the path you outline. Thank you!

The tool you speak of (by Fein I think); has a ‘Starlock attachment’, can those be used on most multi tools: or is there an adapter that allows them to be used? I don’t think my multi tool has a universal attachment.

I have heard a lot of good things about the tool. -Ryan
The Fein tool is available in different widths to suit different channels and will fit any multitool.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom