Things to Check For

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Don L

Guru
So in shopping an older trawler/motor yacht what are things should you really look at besides "in general" items. Of course engines are a BIG one. But fuel tanks are also a very real issue to try to determine.

What other things big dollar/issue things should you give special attention to beyond "normal" things?

Leaks, rot, and electrical no-nos (wire nut connections, wires in the bilge, etc.).

Here's a couple of thoughts....
For me, I would not buy a boat that has screwed down teak decks. Too many deck penetrations (screws - literally hundreds) that either require periodic (intensive) maintenance, or there will be leaks (if not already happening). I do like the look and feel of teak decks, but would want to "deal" with the potential issues.
If looking at twin engines, give consideration to access for maintenance and repairs. Often if access is poor, maintenance is at least potentially lacking, and future maintenance (especially if DYI) could be "problematic". Access will vary depending on size, model, etc.

If you're comfortable working on or atleast looking at wiring, I would look at the back side of the breaker panels. Don't know when tinned wire became standard, but most of the boats you're looking at probably don't have it. Looking at the crimp connectors may give you an idea of how bad the wiring corrosion could be. I would expect it in the engine room, but would consider rewiring a whole boat, a deal breaker.

Would also want to take a hard look at domestic water plumbing, likely all copper.

Water and waste tanks can often be more difficult to access (replace), so check condition and material they're made out of.

Ted

If you're comfortable working on or atleast looking at wiring, I would look at the back side of the breaker panels. Don't know when tinned wire became standard, but most of the boats you're looking at probably don't have it. Looking at the crimp connectors may give you an idea of how bad the wiring corrosion could be. I would expect it in the engine room, but would consider rewiring a whole boat, a deal breaker.

Would also want to take a hard look at domestic water plumbing, likely all copper.

Water and waste tanks can often be more difficult to access (replace), so check condition and material they're made out of.

Ted

Tinned wiring came in at different times depending on the builder. On my 1986 build, all of the AC wiring and a good portion of the DC wiring is tinned, but there is some non-tinned DC wiring as well. Same goes for water system piping. Some moved away from copper sooner than others (mine was originally done in polybutylene with metal fittings).

Back
Top Bottom