This don't look right??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apagano

Veteran Member
Any suggestions how to make this work? Maxwell HRC 10 on a 1977 40 foot Marine Trader double cabin. I am not sure I thought this through completely,The old windlass would never have worked with the anchor I had in mind.so I am trying to upgrade and improve.but, this certainly is looking kinda wonky.
Thanks for the advice.
Apagano

Attachments

• IMG_6085.jpg
    IMG_6085.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_6088.jpg
    IMG_6088.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_6090.jpg
    IMG_6090.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 185
Any suggestions how to make this work? Maxwell HRC 10 on a 1977 40 foot Marine Trader double cabin. I am not sure I thought this through completely,The old windlass would never have worked with the anchor I had in mind.so I am trying to upgrade and improve.but, this certainly is looking kinda wonky.
Thanks for the advice.
Apagano

What don’t you think will work? I don’t know where the lead to the rope locker is so I can’t tell if it lines up or not. Only issue I see, depending on where the hawse pipe to the rope locker is, is that maybe the wildcat on the windlass maybe is a bit to starboard of the anchor roller fitting centerline. That may be fine as long as the chain doesn’t scrape or bind on the roller fitting.

What don’t you think will work?

Doesn't it look like any line on the samson post (under the bitt) would be fouled on the windlass? I feel like I would want the post to be clear.

OTOH, I'm not sure how I would alter the arrangement.

I believe install instructions mandate the chain wheel aligns with the chain pull.

If not.....jumping chain can be an issue and was with my last windlass (a Vetus) that looks just like your new one.

The installer who mounted my previous windlass had built a wing of teak off to port to accommodate the 2 port side bolt holes.

If you look at the overhead view on the deck to the right the dark small circle is the hawse, i believe the chain will not make a right turn? I am thinking i have to cut both new hole for hawse and one in the pulpit behind the windlass so the chain falls nicely. Perhaps widen the pulpit also. Does that make sense?

No need to widen the entire pulpit...just a nice looking piece where the windlas needs to go.

You could have a stainless piece of pipe big enough for your chain welded to a flange that could be screwed to the bottom of your pulpit to feed the chain to the hawse hole if you didn't want to make a new one.

Extend the pulpit? Have specifics on why? Looks just like my setup so far, less the wing to accommodate the windlass bolts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom