Thru Hull Raw Water intake shutoff Valve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tcheairs

Veteran Member
Does anyone have one of the older model bronze raw water intakes with a large square nut horizontal shutoff. I'm interested in changing mine out, but I'm not sure which way to turn it it to shut the valve. I'm afraid to remove the hose until I know it is working properly. The boat is in the water. This valve is very difficult to turn and requires a LARGE crescent or pipe wrench and quite a bit of torque to move. Bluewater Coastal Cruiser was built in 1986 and these large 1" thru hulls are original to the boat. If no answers, I'll attempt to post a photo later. Thanks

Prob has a nut on the opposite end. Loosen nut a bit, then 90 ° either way should close it. Is there an arrow on the square showing flow ? If not id put one on it with a chisel.

Prob has a nut on the opposite end. Loosen nut a bit, then 90 ° either way should close it. Is there an arrow on the square showing flow ? If not id put one on it with a chisel.
Yes, it does have a nut opposite the large square "nut" (lug?) whatever you call it. I'm so afraid when I put torque on it I'm in danger of breaking the seating in my hull. I'll try loosing the small (I think 3/8") nut on the other side. Guess I could loosen the hose (I believe 1" ID) until it stops leaking as I rotate the big lug. Really need to change these to ball valve at the next haulout..Thanks for the tip.

Loosen the nut a LITTLE. Then tap on the stud with the nut still on. It is probably a tapered plug inside & that should break it loose.

Back
Top Bottom