Tipping Tips...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dug up my buddy's FB posting....
On a $28.89 bill (tax included)
18% is 7.27. Should be 5.20
20% is 8.08. Should be 5.78
22% is 8.89. Should be 6.35

Yes, I agree the manager is probably in on this, but he needs to know he's been caught. Let him know you have numerous friends who dine there and you will let them know what is going on.

I think perhaps his meal was somehow discounted and the tip calculations were based on the full amount but without seeing it, no way to be sure.

B brings up a good point. Sometimes food or drink are discounted. Like happy hour prices or other reasons. A small local bar and grill near me has $4 hot roast beef or porchetta sandwiches for Saturday lunch which is more than 50% off their normal price. Certainly cheaper than you could make at home. So in some cases you may want to adjust your tip to what you would normally pay for the service if the food or drinks were regular price. But I still don't think the suggested tip amounts should reflect that.

I think perhaps his meal was somehow discounted and the tip calculations were based on the full amount but without seeing it, no way to be sure.

That’s a good thought, but knowing the guy, I really don’t think that is the case.

Thanks all.

Love the idea of an envelope onboard of fives and tens. Cash I do carry is usually in large bills and the smaller bills allow more flexibility to tip more often to more people and can be given by another if I am elsewhere.

I know I am behind the times, but I think this TIPING has gotten way out of hand.
I firmly believe that tips are for providing EXTRA service. I may not get the best table at a restaurant, but I don't feel the need to impress anyone by handing out money to everyone that says welcome to me.

I know I am behind the times, but I think this TIPING has gotten way out of hand.
I firmly believe that tips are for providing EXTRA service. I may not get the best table at a restaurant, but I don't feel the need to impress anyone by handing out money to everyone that says welcome to me.

Wifey B: Not feeling very charitable toward helping out those less fortunate than you? :ermm:

Think of it like that and perhaps it will change your attitude toward tipping. :)

I have been poor and depended on tips and the generosity of others. I'll never forget the kindness that helped me through.

We are not poor and don't intend to become so. I have always had to work very hard for my money, and have not expected charity form others. I do tip, but only when they show extra effort. Not just standing there and hold there and hands out.

We are not poor and don't intend to become so. I have always had to work very hard for my money, and have not expected charity form others. I do tip, but only when they show extra effort. Not just standing there and hold there and hands out.

Never seen dock hands holding their hands out to get tip. It is expected in restaurants, in the US anyways, but very much optional at docks and marinas.
I asked a dock hand once about tipping as I was fueling sloowly when filtering the fuel going into my 33' sailboat: He said that many times the big and expensive boats don't tip, whereas the small and medium Sea Rays and the like are more generous.

My favorite Dock Master was Morris Bowleg in Bimini: He always came out to grab the lines and tie us up, rain or shine and he probably lived of the tip.
After Morris went to heaven, a young guy took over the job and had to prompted more often than not. He got less tip and we had to work harder to tie up with the current running and winds pushing us around.
So yes, give great service and you will be rewarded.

This isn't like restaurants though. Restaurants are out of hand and it's all due to them being allowed to pay employees as little as $2.13 an hour. I do believe tipping should supplement income, not be the only income. Raise them even to minimum wage, but preferably to a livable wage, then tips of 10% would be appreciated. Until then I'll tip 20% and more.

Pay people proper wages and tips disappear completely

Well, I guess we came from a different age. I am in my mid 70s nowadays, and can still remember 16 - 24 hour shifts on the offshore supply boats. Also 20 yrs. in the plants as an engineer.
Never got a tip for anything except a cheep gold watch on retirement.

Thanks all.

Love the idea of an envelope onboard of fives and tens. Cash I do carry is usually in large bills and the smaller bills allow more flexibility to tip more often to more people and can be given by another if I am elsewhere.

Same here. I rarely use cash for anything. During boating season we make it a point of having a ziplock bag on board with lots of small bills, even if (God forbid) we have to walk into bank to get them!

With everyone tipping with small bills a few with large bills can get change from the worthy candidate. :socool:

With everyone tipping with small bills a few with large bills can get change from the worthy candidate. :socool:

Well, yes and no. Firstly, I don't like to ask for change when tipping, seems kind of crass to me. If I'm sitting at a bar and need to break a large bill that's one thing. But if a couple 16 year old dockhands run down the dock to meet you at a slip at a transient marina to help you dock, they may not have a lot of cash in their pockets. I'd rather just be prepared.

Must be different in the west vs east costs, rarely do we ever see dock help in Washington. Never saw it in Cali either. Restaurant tipping has got out or hand, Here restaurants are paying a premium for labor then the suggested tips all seen to start around 18%. Had a business meeting at a local watering hole this week, no table service so you had to walk up to the bar to get a beer. Suggested tips on the tab ranged between 20-30%.. for some schmuck to pour me a beer. Business associate whose turn it was questioned the rates and dude behind the bar got his panties in a wad about how he " deserved" it. Associate whipped out cash and paid the bill .. no tip. Guy got what he deserved. Just so you know how i usually view tipping.. was at a restaurant last pm and waitress did a fine job, but was obviously overwhelmed. She was the only waiter on that night as two others had called in sick, she got 25%
Rarely if ever do I want .. or require help from dock staff. Glad I live on the West side

Hollywood

Rarely if ever do I want .. or require help from dock staff. Glad I live on the West side

You must be lucky or good, or have a crew.
Sometimes I go solo, including from Florida to the Bahamas, and on numerous short trips within Florida. Nice to have dock hands helping out, especially as I get older.

(I also worked commercially and did dirty jobs in the engine room, no tips but after cleaning the inside of the donkey boilers, the Chief Engineer would donate a case of beer to us dirty sods after we were done. Well deserved, we had to shower using mineral spirits for soap to get the soot of the skin
and it really burned going down the arse and into the crack. Don't try this at home:))

I too feel like tips are something earned for service. If it is built into the bill where is the incentive to give good service? I rarely return to places that add tips into the bill. And when I tip it is in cash so hopefully the person who earned it does in fact get it. If the tip is on the credit card you never know where it went.

A friend of mine was a school teacher and in the summers he would work on the docks at Lake Mohave. He was the only one not a teenager. I asked him why he did that work in the 110 degree heat. He said he made hundreds of dollars a day in tips. His plan was to help the people who were in over their heads docking the big houseboats. He would make them look good and then tell everyone on the boat what a great job the skipper had done. He said it wasn’t unusual to get $100 for one of the big houseboats. He said the teenagers would always ask him why he worked so hard at it and he wouldn’t tell them how much he was making in tips.

Pay people proper wages and tips disappear completely

Yep, your choice, either tip the waiter $15-20 or your bill will be an extra $25-30 higher in order for the restaurant to pay a “proper wage”
Which would you rather do? There is no free lunch. It’s coming out of your pocket one way or the other.

Yep, your choice, either tip the waiter $15-20 or your bill will be an extra $25-30 higher in order for the restaurant to pay a “proper wage”
Which would you rather do? There is no free lunch. It’s coming out of your pocket one way or the other.

You made a point, I get that. But your math is exaggerated IMO. One waiter serves more than your table. Your math assumes it is only your table. Even if it was just your table, the owner would only have to match your tip to give the waiter the same take. But then most places pool the tips and share equally. Waiting 3-4 tables each tipping may double the hourly wage by end of night if shared by kitchen staff who are not directly tipped.
That percentage calculation works to the benefit of the low paid worker in a high priced place. Anyone tip fast food workers?

As someone said this is about dock workers, and it was pointed out they pocket what they get and do not share, so there, your tip will make a tax free benefit.

I now live in a non-tipping country where full 'minimum' wage for a non-trainee position is about $21/per hour. Youth (under 20) can get paid less, 50% at 16, rising by 10% per year till 20. Everything costs a lot more here, my maccas medium-quarter pounder is almost $16. But I know any adult working in the store is making a living wage and isn't in need of getting a government hand out, and even the 16 year old is making better than US minimum wage. Oh and there is a surcharge on the wage for working Sundays, or holidays, so almost everything is closed on Sundays and public holidays.

Trade off I see is traditional tip-receiving service businesses the employees are much less helpful/attentive than I am used to in the USA. But that's the trade off, take the money incentive away and its just a job, and the employee treats it as such.

PS if you're over 18 and more than 30h/week, you get a 10% retirement plan contribution..by the employer.. 12% in 2025

I too feel like tips are something earned for service. If it is built into the bill where is the incentive to give good service? I rarely return to places that add tips into the bill. And when I tip it is in cash so hopefully the person who earned it does in fact get it. If the tip is on the credit card you never know where it went.
But think about it...
What you are against is exactly what many here are proposing...
No tips, employers pay a higher wage negating the need / expectation of a tip.
Do they believe it will lead to better service? Or even a lower $ total bill?

In my mind, employers should be paying enough for the employees to be ok without tips. That doesn't mean tips go away. Instead, it means that tips become an extra provided in exchange for better that expected service, etc. rather than tipping for someone just doing the basic job you expected.

Hollywood

I don't think it's an East vs. West thing, but I haven't boated on the west coast so I don't know. Most of the places I visit near me have teens working the docks. They are not making much above minimum wage and many of them are saving during the summer for college expenses in the fall. The thing is, they are almost without exception very friendly and helpful and never act like they are looking for a tip. It's not that I need help to dock, but they are there to help if asked including hooking up water or electrical (which I always decline) or delivering ice or anything else you may need. Helping these kids out by giving them a tip and rewarding them for their service is good for everyone. Recreational boating is an expensive activity but this is literally a drop in the bucket. Skimp elsewhere if you really need to.

I don't think it's an East vs. West thing, but I haven't boated on the west coast so I don't know. Most of the places I visit near me have teens working the docks. They are not making much above minimum wage and many of them are saving during the summer for college expenses in the fall. The thing is, they are almost without exception very friendly and helpful and never act like they are looking for a tip. It's not that I need help to dock, but they are there to help if asked including hooking up water or electrical (which I always decline) or delivering ice or anything else you may need. Helping these kids out by giving them a tip and rewarding them for their service is good for everyone. Recreational boating is an expensive activity but this is literally a drop in the bucket. Skimp elsewhere if you really need to.

I don't have any issue at all with this type of work environment, I just don't want to have to tip anybody that I don't need or ask for. On the West Coast we typically pump our own holding tanks and the fuel docks they hand you the hose and you snake it around your boat yourself and monitor the fuel delivery. My spouse and I rarely speak when docking after we discuss the setup, All I hear is stern ( or spring) on and know she has it handled. When I have new crew aboard I train them the same way so it is a repeat of the above. Does this work for all, nope. We have all seen the shitshow docking circus that sometimes happens with the unprepared.

I will be honest that I don't really feel very bad for wait staff in restaurants. In my mind it is a job that is a stepping stone to further enhancement in ones employment life. It is a job you could train a monkey to do if you could keep them from eating the food, one might even get served without excessive attitude. Am I being harsh.. possibly. When someone can make over $30 for moving a plate from one place to another, and I have friends that have made well over that as servers. FYI, our MickyDees here has signs out that the minimum wage starts at $15.50 and I think that sounds about right.
HOLLYWOOD

I will be honest that I don't really feel very bad for wait staff in restaurants. In my mind it is a job that is a stepping stone to further enhancement in ones employment life. It is a job you could train a monkey to do if you could keep them from eating the food, one might even get served without excessive attitude.

Firstly, you have to remember most waiters are making far less in wages than the McD teen serving up fast food. Secondly, I don't agree that waitstaff are no better than trained monkeys. There are actually professional waiters that are not looking to move on to another job and take great pride in providing exceptional service. When you experience that, you'll know what I'm talking about. A good waiter can make the differnce between a good and bad and great dining experience, regardless of the food. It's much more than just carrying food to your table when done right. Maybe a lot of that attitude you are getting is more specific to the west coast that you embrace.

. On the West Coast we typically pump our own holding tanks and the fuel docks they hand you the hose and you snake it around your boat yourself and monitor the fuel delivery. My spouse and I rarely speak when docking after we discuss the setup, All I hear is stern ( or spring) on and know she has it handled. When I have new crew aboard I train them the same way so it is a repeat of the above. Does this work for all, nope. We have all seen the shitshow docking circus that sometimes happens with the unprepared.

What you're ascribing to the west coast is really only the PNW. Much different on the rest of the coast. Also, not true for some marinas in the PNW. Many marinas there with excellent service.

I will be honest that I don't really feel very bad for wait staff in restaurants. In my mind it is a job that is a stepping stone to further enhancement in ones employment life. It is a job you could train a monkey to do if you could keep them from eating the food, one might even get served without excessive attitude. Am I being harsh.. possibly.

You're not being harsh, you're being degrading and disgusting and show clearly you have no idea what many waiters and waitresses do, what their lives are like, or why they have those jobs. I respect them tremendously, but then I respect all workers.

I will be honest that I don't really feel very bad for wait staff in restaurants. In my mind it is a job that is a stepping stone to further enhancement in ones employment life. It is a job you could train a monkey to do if you could keep them from eating the food, one might even get served without excessive attitude. Am I being harsh.. possibly. When someone can make over $30 for moving a plate from one place to another, and I have friends that have made well over that as servers. FYI, our MickyDees here has signs out that the minimum wage starts at $15.50 and I think that sounds about right.
HOLLYWOOD
You're not being harsh, you show clearly you have no idea what many waiters and waitresses do, what their lives are like, or why they have those jobs. I respect them tremendously, but then I respect all workers.

DELETED you're being degrading and disgusting
Amazing how snipping from the complete post can change the intended meaning of the original post.

Last summer one of the gas attendants pumped fuel into some weekend warriors rod holder at my marina,plus fuel at marinas during summer is over priced,I fill up during mid winter at a commercial fuel barge in Gloucester,saves me money and the frustration of summertime fueling

Last summer one of the gas attendants pumped fuel into some weekend warriors rod holder at my marina,plus fuel at marinas during summer is over priced,I fill up during mid winter at a commercial fuel barge in Gloucester,saves me money and the frustration of summertime fueling

Stuff like that is why I'd never let them pump (not that I've ever been anywhere they've offered). At any gas dock I've seen, the attendant hands over the hose and it's the captain's job to pump.

Back
Top Bottom