Tough Marine Surveyor Anacordes WA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taras

Vessel Make
49' Kha Shing Europa
Hi All,
I'm looking for personal recommendations for a high quality, tough marine surveyor for the Anacordes WA area.
I don't mind paying extra to get a deep, indepth analysis of the boat.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thank you!

Just don't send the surveyor to Anacordes.
You would want to direct the surveyor to Anacortes.

Interesting trivia, Cale Mather is from the Mathers Controls family.
I think Matt Harris might be retired.
I've used Steve Berg couple of times , he seems pretty good though he likes to talk so prepare for it to be a long process
Berg Marine Surveys

I used Allison Mazon out of Portland. She came to Anacortes to survey a boat for me. I thought her to be very thorough.

Second Steve Berg. He wrote a very thorough report on my boat (which we bought) and was very willing to chat about the issues and how to deal with them.

Many surveyors need specific guidance if you are concerned about particular items.... make sure that is spelled out in the request.

Even the toughest never see or look at everything in the same manner.

I used Matt Harris when we purchased last fall and was very happy. Mathers name came up several times as well. I think Matt’s in Bellingham but he came to Seattle good luck!

Every surveyor will miss things. And misinterpret things. Even the best surveyor. Sometimes the missed and misinterpreted items turn out to be expensive. Very expensive.

I require the seller to spend as much time with me as I need going over records. Best done on the boat. If you treat the seller with respect they will often open up and tell you more than any records. If they hold back proceed with caution.

I also require as much time as I need on the boat looking at everything. Preferably alone without seller or broker. But that isn't always possible. Some will insist on being present. In that case I need them to leave me alone.

After I've done my evaluation I take my findings to the surveyor.

I have used one of the surveyors mentioned in this thread. One of the best in the area. He missed one expensive issue that honestly there was no excuse for missing it. I too should have seen it, it was very obvious. But on that purchase I hadn't done what I'm suggesting a buyer do. He misinterpreted another issue that also turned out to be expensive.

All super great suggestions! Thank you all for your comments. Any other suggestions are welcomed.
My appreciation!!

Every surveyor will miss things. And misinterpret things. Even the best surveyor. Sometimes the missed and misinterpreted items turn out to be expensive. Very expensive.

I require the seller to spend as much time with me as I need going over records. Best done on the boat. If you treat the seller with respect they will often open up and tell you more than any records. If they hold back proceed with caution.

I also require as much time as I need on the boat looking at everything. Preferably alone without seller or broker. But that isn't always possible. Some will insist on being present. In that case I need them to leave me alone.

After I've done my evaluation I take my findings to the surveyor.

Eeh Gads!!! Thankfully, I don't bother to keep receipts. So you need to see that receipt for a pump that was replaced 5 yrs ago? Isn't that the purpose of a visual inspection and a survey? Either the item looks worn and weathered or it doesn't. It either works, or it doesn't.

Eeh Gads!!! Thankfully, I don't bother to keep receipts. So you need to see that receipt for a pump that was replaced 5 yrs ago? Isn't that the purpose of a visual inspection and a survey? Either the item looks worn and weathered or it doesn't. It either works, or it doesn't.
Ah but when the missed items are expensive. As in all of the fuel lines from tanks to engines and all fittings need to be replaced. Or when the bottom paint "blooming" is misdiagnosed as being over zinced when in fact the entire bonding system needed to be redone. That's a couple of not so minor items the surveyor should have found. By one of the surveyors mentioned in this thread.

Our last survey out of Anacortes was 7 years ago and was exceptionally well done. You might want to check out:

Captains Marine Surveyors
Captain Galen Tyler
P.O. Box 480  LaConner, Washington 98257
Phone 360 202-1648  Fax 360 466-0348  Home Phone 360 466-3752  Email captaingalen@yahoo.com

4 years ago had purchase survey done by Tom Johannessen, Hemnes Marine Surveys LLC. (owner)
360-684-2925
Everything he noted turned out to be accurate and no subsequent surprises. I had a very good feeling about him.

Also had engineering survey done by Kevin Ambrose - Marine Diesel Engine Mechanic Member - Diesel Systems LLC. Likewise for his results: accurate and complete. Based on his findings, I did quite a bit of somewhat deferred maintenance in the engine room so that I started out with confidence in the the baseline performance of the boat. Don't know if he's still practicing as he was making "time to retire" noises at the time.

4 years ago had purchase survey done by Tom Johannessen, Hemnes Marine Surveys LLC. (owner)
360-684-2925
Everything he noted turned out to be accurate and no subsequent surprises. I had a very good feeling about him.

Also had engineering survey done by Kevin Ambrose - Marine Diesel Engine Mechanic Member - Diesel Systems LLC. Likewise for his results: accurate and complete. Based on his findings, I did quite a bit of somewhat deferred maintenance in the engine room so that I started out with confidence in the the baseline performance of the boat. Don't know if he's still practicing as he was making "time to retire" noises at the time.

We also used Kevin for the engineering survey. Well done. But, it was about the same time you did and he was making retirement comments to us, as he did to you. He is very well known and respected in the area though, so would be a good choice if he's still doing that kind of work. This was pre-pandemic.

Our last survey out of Anacortes was 7 years ago and was exceptionally well done. You might want to check out:

Captains Marine Surveyors
Captain Galen Tyler
P.O. Box 480  LaConner, Washington 98257
Phone 360 202-1648  Fax 360 466-0348  Home Phone 360 466-3752  Email captaingalen@yahoo.com

Sadly, looking him up, I found this: https://www.evanschapel.com/obituary/galen-tyler

Looks like he had a great 78 years though! RIP. And a reminder to all of us to "go now".

We also used Kevin for the engineering survey. Well done. But, it was about the same time you did and he was making retirement comments to us, as he did to you. He is very well known and respected in the area though, so would be a good choice if he's still doing that kind of work. This was pre-pandemic.
Kevin Ambrose is still working. Just talked with him today about doing a survey.

Hi All,
I'm looking for personal recommendations for a high quality, tough marine surveyor for the Anacordes WA area.
I don't mind paying extra to get a deep, indepth analysis of the boat.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thank you!

We have used both Steve, and Cale, and recommend either.

Recommended Surveyor

As a broker for over 25 years I have had the privilege of working with many different surveyors nationwide and of all skill levels. Some of my qualifications include manufacturer training, ABYC Standards Certification, have attended SAM's & NAMS continuing education credits. I also have owned for R & R (To Flip) over 40 boats, so I at least know which side of the wrench to use.
I found a beautiful Trawler is La Conner Washington for my client. Being in So Cal, I also had to find a surveyor in the area. After multiple calls and phone interviews, I hired Ed.
As a Broker we can't really "recommend" a surveyor, so let me say this: If I had to take money out of my own pocket for a vessel for myself, I would gladly pay this person. I would use him again.
Ed took his time, was very complete and showed respect to both the buyer and vessel.

Ed Gonsorowski, SAMS-AMS
Edwards Marine Survey, LLC
9611 241st PL SW
Edmonds, WA 98020
206-890-5777
www.edwardsmarinesurvey.com

Back
Top Bottom