Tow boat US warning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe BoatUS uses a computer to evaluate customers, but as a personal friend of 2 Sea Tow owners, they don't.

Pretty sure I have seen members released for being abusive to the dispatch person.

Sometimes I thought members were released unfairly and others should have been exiled from boating for numerous reasons.

I knew a guy that got towed 5 times in one year. Sinking, aground, dead battery, out of gas and sucked up his ski rope in the jet. Boss kept him because he was a nice guy, all tows were simple and we figured year 2 of the boat would be better. I am pretty sure he still holds the record. Then I have seen members be refused service till they showed proof of mechanical work on their engines after 2 consecutive tows in a short time.

These were all "owner/manager" decisions....not computer driven.

If I were the OP, if both companies service his normal cruising area... I would go with the other one for the next season. In the meantime, I would talk to the owner/manager of the BoatUS franchise and make sure all the correct info was passed along the chain...sometimes that can be the problem.

Last edited:
Insurance is a despicable industry.
I can't agree. Insurance is an industry, like any other, that offer a service in exchange for money. They are there to make a profit first and foremost. I see nothing wrong with that.

If you hired a weekly housekeeper, but then decide to throw large parties every weekend. You wouldn't be surprised if the housekeeper decided that they were tired of cleaning up after you every Monday morning and dropped you as a client.

If you have repeated auto accidents, you insurance carrier will eventually drop you, even if some of those accidents aren't your fault. Some folks are just bad risks.

I don't see that as despicable. If we want insurance, just good business sense. In the OPs case, it certainly wouldn't hurt to talk with Tow Boat and see if he can explain that it was simple a series of unfortunate, unforeseen, and unavoidable events that are very unlikely to occur again.

FWIW, I've had to be towed twice. Once when my recently serviced engine blew, and another when a raw water hose that was 3 years old ruptured. I was very glad to have the service available both times.

Why do the British drink their beer warm? Lucas Electrics also made refrigerators (sha-boom)......uh-oh.....thread drift alert.

Peter

This reminds me of an old article in Motor Boating & Sailing. Once in a while they would do an article and include us (kid on boat was rare in those days) ... well they wrote Mother "fetched the beer out of the river" and that made Mother crazed. We had actually served her a cold beer -- we had just gotten a reefer (power on the boat!!!) and it was COLD.

Anyway, thanks for making me laugh all these decades later. And yes, Lucas is the Prince of Darkness.

Use an anchor alarm. If your chartplotter doesn't have one, there are free apps you can put on your phone.

hmmm

I see both sides of this. You have reasonable explanations for all the things that happened but...

three tows in 6 weeks is a lot of avtivity.

It will be interesting to see how others feel about this.
These were not acts of operator negligence...Bad treatment by Boat US. IMHO...

I know mooring buoys are becoming the standard in many countries, but I personally don't like them. Most of the time the maintenance and/or inspection of the mooring buoys does not exist, leaving you basically with a Russian roulete option............will the mooring buoy hold or not ?
Only in good weather will you find me on a mooring buoy, if bad weather is announced I either want to be in a marina (stern to on our own anchor) or in an anchorage on our own anchor. I know our anchor is going to hold us, we won't drag at least until 80 or 90 kts, have not seen that windspeed in the Med happening too often.

Here in Croatia sometimes all the bays of an island are covered with mooring buoys, many times illegal mooring fields, resulting is us having to continue until deep into the night to find a suitable anchorage. But that is the way it is.

These were not acts of operator negligence...Bad treatment by Boat US. IMHO...
There might be a connection here to the very strict insurance attitude toward boaters these days.

Seemingly it seems like operator negligence and maybe it all was... but it doesn't matter who's fault it is when insurance or BoatUS membership still has to pay out.

Thus maybe a harsh decision, but like seemingly widespread unfair pricing or business practices these days.... in the long run better to lose a customer at less than $200/year than one that costs thousands.

I can't agree. Insurance is an industry, like any other, that offer a service in exchange for money. They are there to make a profit first and foremost. I see nothing wrong with that.

If you hired a weekly housekeeper, but then decide to throw large parties every weekend. You wouldn't be surprised if the housekeeper decided that they were tired of cleaning up after you every Monday morning and dropped you as a client.
If I had a housekeeper and I threw large parties every weekend, I would expect to pay more for the housekeeper's services. Of course, the housekeeper is not in the risk business. Insurance is in the risk business, and they are winning in a very big way. Part of risk is recognizing that you lose some bets. Insurance is despicable in that they cancel the Customers who win some bets.

To me, that reasoning comes awfully close to wanting all businesses that provide vital services to be non-profit orgs.

No insurance expert here, but my understanding is that insurance is already pretty tightly controlled. Their profits are made by investing premiums...so avoiding or dropping high risk people may be one of their only options.

Insurance is despicable in that they cancel the Customers who win some bets.
Insurance companies benefit consumers by pooling risk. Ideally, premiums reflect risk and competition limits profits. Those who believe that insurance companies have at least 3 choices: 1) don't buy insurance and take the entire risk of loss, 2) invest in the most successful insurers, and 3) buy from a mutual insurance company (where the company is owned by policy holders). Ironically, the most dysfunctional insurance markets are the most highly regulated -- California, for example, where many homeowners can't buy adequate insurance.

Hello,

I decided to share this warning about Tow Boat U.S. here.

As a gold unlimited member for around 10 years, I haven't really utilized their services much. However, during my recent trip on the loop from the keys to the trent severen waterway in Canada, we encountered some unfortunate incidents departing from Florida.

Firstly, our 57ft cruiser ran aground and ended up breaking two props. We had to get a tow from Key Largo Sound entrance to Key Largo sound. After locating and purchasing two used props for $12,000, we hired a diver to reassemble them.

Next, while in Key Largo sound, our mooring ball line snapped due to heavy winds, and we got blown onto the beach, damaging the newly replaced props. Luckily, we were able to get a tow to a new mooring ball in Key Largo sound.

I then drove the boat, with the damaged props, to Key Largo marina for a haul out. We had to repair both props again and have the shafts straightened. This cost us $20,000, including accommodation expenses.

To add to our troubles, the fuel pump malfunctioned at Bal Harbor anchorage, and we needed a tow for 5 miles to North Bay Village.

All of these mishaps occurred within a 6-week period.

However, despite being a long-standing member, Tow Boat U.S. has decided to cancel my membership and even shut me out of my login portal on their site. When I spoke with "Joseph," he refused to provide his full name, title, or phone number. He stated that the reason for this action was not because I may have not completed the repairs or that all the incidents were related, but simply because I used their services too much within a 6-week span.
A friend in the insurance underwriting industry told me that insurance companies don't object to a single large claim but they have a problem with several smaller claims. Perhaps it is indicative (to them) of a lack of care or attention? You can't fight city hall or an insurance actuary.

I’m not looking for or suggesting additional regulation, just observing that this story and others I have heard paint the insurance industry as despicable. It’s not like the insurance industry is going broke bailing out irresponsible policy holders.

My Dad was dropped from Allstate insurance in 1966 after 16 years of no accidents, tickets etc. this is not a new thing. They said he was due for an accident.

I don't understand the towing membership. Tow companies get thousands of dollars for one tow, yet they sell the service for $200 a year. Doesn't make sense to me.

My Dad was dropped from Allstate insurance in 1966 after 16 years of no accidents, tickets etc. this is not a new thing. They said he was due for an accident.

I don't understand the towing membership. Tow companies get thousands of dollars for one tow, yet they sell the service for $200 a year. Doesn't make sense to me.
The vast majority of tows don't cost thousands and the vast majority of members don't need tows for several years. It works out, but not necessarily enough to make all owner rich.

Tow companies spend most of their time sitting on their hands waiting for a call. They get paid nothing for sitting on their hands, so they have to make it up when they finally get a tow. Tow insurance solves that, or at least addresses it significantly, and thereby reduces transaction costs for everyone.

For people who don't get the assistance tow business model...I was pretty close with 2 different franchise owners who thought completely different how to run each one as far as customer service and employee management as well as supplemental income to the business.

My last one had to adjust how captains were paid every couple of years to the next to get good captains and keep them.

Also.... franchises where boating is an all year-round activity have different models as those with much shorter seasons.

Plus ethics do factor in, while I know some act as uncivilized pirates, probably many more, and thankfully the 2 I worked for were VERY honest, hard working guys. From me, that is a GREAT, well earned compliment.

Why do the British drink their beer warm? Lucas Electrics also made refrigerators (sha-boom)......uh-oh.....thread drift alert.
Once asked my mountain bartender "water for my Morgan." Everyone thought I had a horse. No, English car, oak frame, I then had to explain 'Lucas Prince of Darkness' electrical components. (excuse drift anchor drag)

Hello,

I decided to share this warning about Tow Boat U.S. here.

As a gold unlimited member for around 10 years, I haven't really utilized their services much. However, during my recent trip on the loop from the keys to the trent severen waterway in Canada, we encountered some unfortunate incidents departing from Florida.

Firstly, our 57ft cruiser ran aground and ended up breaking two props. We had to get a tow from Key Largo Sound entrance to Key Largo sound. After locating and purchasing two used props for $12,000, we hired a diver to reassemble them.

Next, while in Key Largo sound, our mooring ball line snapped due to heavy winds, and we got blown onto the beach, damaging the newly replaced props. Luckily, we were able to get a tow to a new mooring ball in Key Largo sound.

I then drove the boat, with the damaged props, to Key Largo marina for a haul out. We had to repair both props again and have the shafts straightened. This cost us $20,000, including accommodation expenses.

To add to our troubles, the fuel pump malfunctioned at Bal Harbor anchorage, and we needed a tow for 5 miles to North Bay Village.

All of these mishaps occurred within a 6-week period.

However, despite being a long-standing member, Tow Boat U.S. has decided to cancel my membership and even shut me out of my login portal on their site. When I spoke with "Joseph," he refused to provide his full name, title, or phone number. He stated that the reason for this action was not because I may have not completed the repairs or that all the incidents were related, but simply because I used their services too much within a 6-week span.
That is some story. Many of us, purchase our boats and really explore far beyond our comfort zone. Earlier this year I too grounded, tore off my strut and have made my repairs. In my situation I was able to avoid towing. In fact I had no coverage, and the local wanted $2,700 for a 30nm trip to haul out. However, since then my wife and I, cancelled slip reservations as an unusual summer storm was headed our way. Today, we’re leaving early as both our propane tanks are not working, one being empty. Anyway, choices are what build character. Better days are coming ; LinaseaII

Friends of mine found out last year the Boat US Unlimited Towing isn't unlimited anymore.

Unlimited towing is written around some fine print.... distance no....tows yes unless you haven't proven yourself an unreasonable risk or have run into one of the less ethical towers.

Short story. Had a client with a last name of Lucas. Big important client too. Took the client to dinner and after a couple of drinks related my experience with Lucas electrics in my MGB. Said Prince of Darkness. Turns out it was the client's family! Now it's ex-client. True story.

Friends of mine found out last year the Boat US Unlimited Towing isn't unlimited anymore.
It hasn't been for at least 50 years. At that time, it was only unlimited within a limited coverage area.

From BoatUS online membership agreement.......

"service area includes the navigable waters within 25 continuous nautical miles of the responding TowBoatU.S. service provider’s port. Service areas vary depending on location and are subject to change."

" Our Right to Cancel: We reserve the right to immediately cancel this Agreement for abuse of privileges. This includes, without limitation, misrepresentation of vessel condition, excessive towing, lack of care and diligence in the operation and maintenance of the vessel, and fraud."

So distance or necessary tow and excessive towing, lack of care and diligence in the operation and maintenance of the vessel can all affect a tow.

It right in the agreement and has been since I was towing decades ago as far as I remember.

Amazing that so many people are unfamiliar with an agreement they sign and pay for.

The basic model of boating has changed. This is reflected in the consolidation of marinas into chains. Service vendors going “corporate “ and the disintegration of having long term relationships with the folks you dealt with while boating. At one time my insurance broker, local tow, wrench and marina owner were friends. We would shoot the breeze, bend elbows together and knew each other over years and years. We were actually concerned about each other. I would refer business and might even contract business I could do myself. They knew what was important to me and do whatever necessary to keep me happy.they knew I was stable returning business.
At all levels of boating that’s gone. There’s an absence of pressure to retain business.
So between no lack of customers, increasing difficulties running a business and increased risks of massive losses due to man made climate change marine businesses be they marinas, tow services or insurance want the “golden customer “. Low risk and little incurred expense. This will not change until the business model changes. The business model will not change until consumer demand decreases and/or risks from massive losses decreases. Know of several small marine businesses that have folded as they couldn’t make a decent living between their insurance costs, regulatory obligations, land based costs etc. you are complaining about your tow insurance. Might be worthwhile to think about the Joe who comes out to get you insurance costs. Some are in the same boat. Get dropped with no claims or can afford the hike in their premiums.

Back
Top Bottom