Trawler versus Tug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crappierod

I'm a new member looking for ny new boat. Been looking at tugs & trawlers.
They seem to be equipped the same. I noticed tugs have a shorter foredeck
then trawlers. I'm I right? I'm looking to move to the north west to do the
NWP & to enloy the great fishing. At this time, I'm both captain & first
mate.
I have seen some boats talk about a wing engine as a second power source.
How does that work?
thanks for any help that I can get.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. IMO, "trawler" and "tug" are simply marketing terms used to describe recreational vessels based on appearance similarities.
Perhaps, rather than style, you might post what you will be using the boat for and what you want the boat to do for you. I would suggest: https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/boat-search-101-a-14905.html as a starting point and you'll get numerous suggestions in fairly short order.
Enjoy the fun!

Welcome aboard. You've come to the right place to ask questions and get respectful answers. Good crew here on TF.

In my opinion, "Tug" and "Trawler" are marketing terms. For example, I consider the Grand Banks classic trunk-cabin to be the quintessential "Trawler." But the word “Trawler” does not appear in Grand Banks advertising – they call them a Cruiser (as did Willard for my Willard 36 trawler). Yet Beneteau calls their entrant in this category a "Swift Trawler." And then there are sub-groups such as Sundeck Trawlers which are more or less identical to Aft Cabin Motoryachts (ACMY).

Tugs are another sub-group, albeit a bit more defined. American Tug, Nordic Tug, Lord Nelson Victory Tug (no longer made) all have classic lines to them that look like they could sport a bow-pudding (the rope-mesh protection on old-style working tugs). Pilgrim 40 falls into this category though does not have 'tug' in their name. Adding a down-sloped brow over the forward windshield really seems to give the tug a character feel to them.

To my thinking, the differences are all cosmetic and lay-out. It's whatever you like.

As to wing-engine, this is a method of emergency back-up for a single-engine vessel. A wing engine is an entrely separate drive train with engine, transmission, shaft, and prop. It's called a "Wing" engine because it's necessarily offset, and usually half the size (or smaller) than the main engine. There are other methods of get-home. The further you venture from populated areas the more interesting a get-home setup becomes. Most single-engine owners in the PNW are content with an annual subscri[tion to SeaTow or the like.

Hope the above helps.

Peter

I would say that a Tug is modelled after a specific type of work boat "Tugboat". Other types of Trawlers are modelled after different types of boats, like 'Downeast' boats.

I would consider a Tugboat a 'style' of boat. A Trawler is a 'class' of boats. A cruising tug is a type of Trawler (While Trawlers are NOT a type of Tug).

Think Tanker, Container Ship, Cruise Ship. They are all the same class (Ships), but you would never confuse a Cruise Ship with a Tanker.

All the commercial tugs I’ve seen basically operate at displacement speeds. Some push tugs can be considered a single unit when pushing a barge so a different math is used. Due to the weight of their extremely large engines usually are full displacement hulls or some variation. Their job is primarily to move vessels or barges much larger than themselves and have huge engines for size.

All the recreational “tugs” I’ve seen are semi displacement hulls meant to operate above their theoretical hull speed when asked to. Because of this they also have large engines but proportionally nowhere near as large as true tugs.

Commercial trawlers generally operate at displacement speeds. Some recreational “trawlers” do as well. Although heavy their engines are proportionally smaller.

In general full displacement hulls are more efficient than semi displacement. Most true trawlers are full displacement. Most recreational “trawlers “ are semi displacement so the name trawler is not justified strictly speaking for all those recreational boats.

Beyond aesthetics I choose a Nordic tug because the design with its plumb bow has a longer water line length for its size (loa). I choose a Nordic over an American because it’s narrower and slightly more efficient in my thinking. I believe both Nordic and American have a better build quality than other tug offerings. This is an opinion.

Last edited:
Tugs can be FD or even planing.
The Lord Nelson is FD .. no hint of SD.
The small trawler tugs are only tugs by their manufacturers in the pursuit of sales. Most rec tugs in that length range are on planing hulls.

Rec tugs can be and can claim any hull speed category mostly to increase sales. Cute sells. Re rec trawler types 24 to 28’ long a manufacturer’s boat can be cute and nostalgic, SD, FD or a boat riding on a planing hull thus giving the boat unlimited speed range depending on how much power is installed or how far the helmsman pushes the lever fwd. The actual speed can be from water skiing to almost trolling for salmon.

As several have said it’s mostly a sales department game to snare as many buyers as possible.

But for the last 15 years or so it’s been mostly fun to try to pinhole rec trawlers into legitimate categories like Fd or SD. Some think a true rec trawler is a FD craft but if ine takes stock in the matter rec trawlers are more legitimately called semi-displacement boats.
The only legitimate feature that identifies a rec trawler is her weight/mass and of course that automatically puts the boat in a slow speed range. So rec trawlers seem to be cruisers that look a bit like a fish boat and are heavier than typical cruisers. Rec tugs are just what the manufacturers call them and rec trawlers are heavy Cruisers.
That’s what they were called in the 50’s … before somebody committed the terrible sin of calling them trawlers.

Last edited:
My bad of course you’re right Willy. Forgot about that one and I’m sure there’s others. Said I’ve seen.

Tugs almost never have flybridges.

pete

Thanks for all the inputs. fishing wil be one of the top things on my list, + seeing the great NWP. Thinking of a 30-40' boat.

Respectfully, a few thoughts:

Lots of trawlers aren’t good for fishing, either because they have no cockpit, or a tiny cockpit, or because their decks are too high out of the water. You don’t want to have to climb down a ladder with a net or gaff onto a skinny swim step to land your fish, and then climb back up the ladder with your big fish. Some trawlers have a sun deck on the back raised high out of the water, which to me wouldn’t work for fishing. Generally, though with some exceptions, aft cabin trawlers aren’t great for fishing.

Second, PNW = Pacific Northwest, which to me means the Salish Sea, or the Inside Passage. That is, Puget Sound, the British Columbia coast, and Southeast Alaska. Fabulous cruising grounds.

NWP = the Northwest Passage. Meaning the northern route along the Arctic Ocean coast of Alaska and northern Canada. Not usually considered fabulous cruising grounds.

I think it will be difficult to find a boat with a wing engine in the 30-40 foot range unless you are ordering a new build. Twin engines are common but that's 2 engines working all the time rather than a seperate propulsion system for emergency use.

You may want to familiarize yourself with terms like aft cabin, sundeck and sedan. ( there are also convertibles, but I still can't get a handle on what they are ) A sedan will have a larger cockpit which can be great for fishing, where as an aft cabin has more interior space but a very limited amount of space for fishing. A good first question to answer is how many adults and children will be sleeping aboard full time. Just about everything has a stateroom in the bow. Then some models like an aft cabin or sun deck will have another stateroom in the back. Some styles will have more of what I would call a "bunk room" just behind the forward cabin that would be suitable for kids or short term guests.

Enjoy the search process!!

Here is an example of the same hull (Grand Banks 36 ) with 3 different styles of "house" on them. from top to bottom its a sedan, aft-cabin and sundeck. Interior space and fishability are opposite ends of the same spectrum and you'll have to choose where you want to be on that spectrum. I've heard it said that when it comes to speed, efficiency and space, you can pick two.

Also, when it comes to fishing, that can have different meanings for different people. For some its putting a line in the water at the end of the day as you enjoy a beverage and the sunset. It is almost a nuisance if something actually bites. For others it involves tens of thousands of dollars of equipment and 2 dedicated line handlers with 16 lines in the water at all times. Both approaches are equally valid, just pointing out that "fishing" isn't the same to everyone.

Attachments

• sedanvsaftcabin.jpg
    sedanvsaftcabin.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 69
If you want slow and relatively affordable, look for sedan trawlers, Europa trawlers or tugs. Down East style boats (rare around here) would be fine too. They all have cockpits which make salmon trolling with downriggers or jigging a reasonable. Europas have a cockpit overhang which makes them less desirable for fishing, but great for cruising, as it has been known to rain around here.

If you are seriously into fishing, like to go fast, and have deep pockets, just get the yachty version of the commercial (water taxis and crew transport) boats they build up here. CoastalCraft and EagleCraft come to mind first. There are dozens off aluminum boat builders in coastal BC that build custom boats as well.

We were where you are a year ago. We are not hard core fisher folk but want to fish, wanted a boat for two and are new to boating . Also liked the idea of being able to go a bit faster than 8 knot—we are both still full time employed so flexibility in speed was deemed useful. We are not especiallyvhandy and wanted something in good condition. We also wanted a boat we could grow into rather than sell in a as few years. The dream that started it all was cruising the inner passage after doing a small boat cruise of it. It was amazing! It’s still the dream.

t was about trade offs. We chartered a Ranger tug 27, which has an outboard and it felt too small. We ended up with a very well maintained 2006 Nordic tug 32. We are very happy with our choice. Chartering while expensive was totally worth it. It may not be designed for fishing but I think it will serve us well. We are planning to fish , crab and shrimp off it this summer. Other owners do fish, but I suspect the hard core fisherman choose another boat.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 65
Well Mr soin2la
You’ve graphically proven your point.
Like the pictures.

Nice pics. I’ve always loved tugboats. salty and strong and reliable.Comforting. Romantic, even.
Was all over an American tug before we bought a used GB.
Not a huge ranger tug fan but I get why they sell them as fast as they can build them
AT 395 is an excellent trawler that has the tug look, but no part of it is just for FOR looks. The Smaller one is great too. Nothing wrong with Nordic either. Good luck.

Oh. Yeah the wing engine.
If you think you really must have two , especially at that size , get twins. Or twin outboards which are to some ugly but undeniably very reliable. Wings are for passage makers like nordhavn etc.
you’ll never get a consensus on single v twin here but I doubt anyone would advocate a wing engine sub 40 feet
Unless it was like a 9.9 outboard kicker

I think form a recreational boater perspective its mostly just looks and floor plan. I like my current boat which i guess sorta follows the tug them. I like having a high pilot house for easy view and more of a standup style piloting .The forward rake windshield keeps heat down. Our previous boat have a real steep aerodynamic windshield and shape. Lots of heat and difficult to see everything. There all good just have to find what fits for you and have fun. Life is shorter then you think.

Tugs almost never have flybridges.

pete

Mine does as do most I’ve seen on the east coast. Think the flybridge thing is regional. A lot on boats doing the AICW, in warmer +/or drier climates. Fewer where it’s wet or cold. Also in the subtropics as it’s good to see coral heads.
. So the NT company markets was first aimed at the Pacific Northwest and many of the initial ones didn’t have flybridges. But when the market expanded nationally and even internationally many were built with flybridges.

The 42 and the 44 NTs are mostly the same. Same hull. A major difference is on the 42 you need to go outside to get to the flybridge. Whereas on the 44 you climb up to the flybridge from inside the pilot house.

Last edited:
Maybe give a nod to your 'inner fisherman' for a moment and consider Sport Fishers?

Some here do, but speedwise, operate them as trawlers.

There was a Viking 42 for sale in Chattanooga...a close sister to this one but without all the fighting chair rigging....perhaps you can get an idea of interior layout? Good Luck!

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1985-viking-convertible-8627860/

What's in a name?

In one sense, call it whatever you like. A lot of boats labeled "trawler" have the identical look of others labeled "tug".

To me, its a class of boats where form follows function. Practical aspects come first and resultant look comes second. (To a point.) One simple issue is the common forward rake windshield, that is done for very practical reasons that is the opposite of sleek design.

By contrast, the bubble boats with sleek exteriors appear to have the aerodynamics of something designed to fly at 250mph, but travel at 25mph. Reminds me of early 1960's Caddys with tail fin wings.

But within the class of tug / trawlers there are big differences to sort out. To name just one, some are designed with a hull intended to have a cruise speed into the upper teens. Others designed to travel below or just above hull speeds in the single digits. That hull difference can carry over into different operating characteristics.

But in another sense, names can matter when doing a search of what you like. Limit the search to "tug" and you might not find something labeled "trawler."

You "can" make them do things they were not designed to do.

If fishing is the priority, why not look for a sport fishing boat that is designed to optimize that, but with the interior you want to go with it?

Have 6 pole holders on aft deck. 6 rocket launchers on boat deck. Inside 12 rod holders on overhead. Can do 2 down riggers. Have flyfished off swim platform.

She’s a tug but you can fish off of just about anything. Look at Scotty stuff We trawl but see express boats do it too

Our NT37 is set up similarly. We fish BC and SE Alaska for salmon and halibut, and we do crab and shrimp too.

Just buy a trawler already

To me, form follows function. Unless you're buying a tugboat to push barges around, buy the trawler. I'm no expert, but a tugboat's form is purposed towards it's job. A trawler, towards it's. I suspect a trawler will have better resale value.

Also, I would buy nothing but a twin screw. One reason, from my own personal harrowing experience, having two engines is a matter of safety should one fail. But more importantly a twin screw offers much, much better control than a single screw. I moved from a life-long single screw 33' sailboat with a 10' beam to a 46' trawler twin screw with a 15' beam. Guess which one was much easier to dock.

I know much of this is like my dog is smarter. But will say this.

I’m quite pleased I chose a single screw NT 42. On multiple transits having that single screw was most reassuring as branches, logs, and other debris slid down our hull and no drama occurred. This was true in the ICW and going north via the C+D after a release from the holding pools. Wife’s job was to spot them but sometimes you miss one and hit another that doesn’t show on the surface. On that a nearby twin screw wasn’t as fortunate and asked us to stay in touch until we reached Cape May.

I also enjoy the better mpg we get with when we throttle down but still have high double digits when needed.

She’s a bit narrow compared to other vessels but this allows us to keep the SeaKeeper off went going through chop or waves to windward.

I like that the LWLis so close to the LOA. I have more interior than those boats with a lot of overhang.

The inside and outside helms are both near the center fore and aft so perception of pitching is decreased.

It’s a clean purposeful design with an intelligent interior for long duration cruising. There’s a reason even used they command a good price. It’s a quality build. I just finished replacing the sanitation hose. Previously a mix of pipe and hose with numerous fittings. It leaked air. Now have a single run of hose. It meant deconstructing parts of her. This was done without any injury to her. Not even a scratch as she’s stick build. So take out the square head screw driver and you need no other tools for access. Got to see the wire runs, fresh water runs and the rest. Well organized and accessible.

So after looking at several twins think going with single screw works just fine for us. Yup need the bow and stern thrusters at times. But spend more time moving than docking. Yup sometimes wait or plan for no or little current to dock. But I’m retired so not a biggie.

I understand there’s benefits to a twin screw beyond redundancy and for some they won’t like a single. But the contrapositive is true as well. There’s no best boat. But there’s the right boat for you. Different folks-different boats.

Last edited:
I’m quite pleased I chose a single screw NT 42. On multiple transits having that single screw was most reassuring as branches, logs, and other debris slid down our hull and no drama occurred. .....

I moved to Florida in 2005. Originally, I thought Florida was 'go-fast' country and would be no place for a trawler - I started looking around at smaller boats such as the Rosborough 245, the Albin TE 32, Atlas 25, and even a few others. Nice boats and would have been a blast.

But as I cruised with a friend, I realized that for me, a single seemed to fit right in. Tons of skinny water - nothing feels better than a full keel and a single screw. I also came to realize that with no-wake zones and bridge openings, 7-kts wasn't so slow overall. Over the course of time, I did a 180 and thought my Willard 36 with its mammoth aft deck would be ideal for tropics - just needed some sun shade so added the hard-top, and added a generator for AC, and some opening ports for ventilation.

Not a recommendation, just sharing my thought process. A lot depends on where you plan to cruise. Much as the classic tri-cabin Trawler has great interior space with separation of cabins, but the outdoor space just doesn't blend well for my tastes. There's a lot to be said for a pilothouse layout, but I find them a bit chopped-up with stairs on the interior. Sedans like my Willard probably have the least amount of interior living space going - and the staterooms (if there are two) are adjacent.

Very personal decisions and priorities. I could make any of them work.

Peter

I'm a new member looking for ny new boat.

I think you'll get more useful information if you give us more information. How do you realistically plan to use the boat, what size boat are you interested in and what's your budget like for starters?

Back
Top Bottom