Troubleshooting Perkins Fuel Shut off Solenoid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 38'
My Starboard fuel shut off solenoid has decided to quit working. I was checking it with the voltmeter and have 11v when the stop button is depressed (engine is not running), but the solenoid itself does not move. Checked the Port side and it does activate OK. I was thinking that it just needed cleaning and some lubricant, but the fact that it doesn't move at all makes me wonder about that. You can manually slide it up OK, so it's not bound, actually feels a little sloppy. Do these typically wear out?

Reactions: PNW
Not sure of your engine but I have an 1981 T6.354 and my solenoid went out a couple years ago and a new replacement was around $70. Just replace it

Not sure of your engine but I have an 1981 T6.354 and my solenoid went out a couple years ago and a new replacement was around $70. Just replace it
Where did you source it for $70? I purchased one and a spare from TAD and it was quite a bit more (done remember exactly).

Peter

@mvweebles Peter do you advocate using an automotive part on a boat (he says tongue in cheek)! Undoubtedly Neptune will reach out and send you directly to Davy Jone's locker.

On my boat I use only the best parts designed and made for America's finest tractors (Ford Lehman engines).

You could remove the power and ground wires and check the solenoid coil. I don’t know what resistance it should be but if its an open circuit the coil is shot and youll need a new solenoid.

Nothing marine specific about that solenoid assembly. They get weak with age. Buy 2 and carry a spare.
And yeah it's scary the first time one fails and you are trying to shutdown the engine. Fortunately the arm is hand operable.

Believe this is it?

Attachments

• Perkins stop solenoid.jpg
    Perkins stop solenoid.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 48
Thanks for all the suggestions. I did test the resistance and it is showed open circuit, so assuming it is toast. I bought a new solenoid off Amazon that was supposed to be a direct replacement, but of course was not. Had to re-drill the mounting holes and swap the rubber boot, but is seems to work just fine, at least for now. Was cheap enough that I got and extra for back up.

My Starboard fuel shut off solenoid has decided to quit working. I was checking it with the voltmeter and have 11v when the stop button is depressed (engine is not running), but the solenoid itself does not move. Checked the Port side and it does activate OK. I was thinking that it just needed cleaning and some lubricant, but the fact that it doesn't move at all makes me wonder about that. You can manually slide it up OK, so it's not bound, actually feels a little sloppy. Do these typically wear out?
Had same issue, replaced one. After rebuilding fuel pumps found ground wires not completely clean. Corrosion from years of neglect. Cleaned all ground connections with a sander to Rae copper and cleaned ground to engine block.
The shut off nearly jumps out the boat when I touch the button. Instead of holding down for a few seconds. Clean all grounds you will be surprised how well things work that didn't before.

Just today on my P 6.354T my fuel shut off solenoid started chattering when energized. It still works, just has a new noise.
Could be a bad connection somewhere but I'm thinking seriously if installing a cable for manual stop. I've had that on other diesels,. pretty much fool proof.

Check resistance across the solenoid. (powered down) you may find that the coil is open. That is the diag process. Likely remedy is to just replace it. Another post suggest that it is rather inexpensive.

Thanks I'm working on this as well as other ghosts in the wires on my 85 Range4-200 twins and this is helpful! Just also learned that the engines (at least in my setup) are NOT entirely grounded (but they are part of bonding system or something like that) but stop solenoid requires ground path so there is a relay that triggers an active ground path only when the stop solenoid is being energized! Rewiring my harness definitely required many hours starting at these engines following wires with fingers and replacing bad but connections!! o_O
Good luck out there OP!

Attachments

• PXL_20240718_012221883.jpg
    PXL_20240718_012221883.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom