Troubleshooting Perkins Fuel Shut off Solenoid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 38'
My Starboard fuel shut off solenoid has decided to quit working. I was checking it with the voltmeter and have 11v when the stop button is depressed (engine is not running), but the solenoid itself does not move. Checked the Port side and it does activate OK. I was thinking that it just needed cleaning and some lubricant, but the fact that it doesn't move at all makes me wonder about that. You can manually slide it up OK, so it's not bound, actually feels a little sloppy. Do these typically wear out?

Not sure of your engine but I have an 1981 T6.354 and my solenoid went out a couple years ago and a new replacement was around $70. Just replace it

Not sure of your engine but I have an 1981 T6.354 and my solenoid went out a couple years ago and a new replacement was around $70. Just replace it
Where did you source it for $70? I purchased one and a spare from TAD and it was quite a bit more (done remember exactly).

Peter

@mvweebles Peter do you advocate using an automotive part on a boat (he says tongue in cheek)! Undoubtedly Neptune will reach out and send you directly to Davy Jone's locker.

On my boat I use only the best parts designed and made for America's finest tractors (Ford Lehman engines).

You could remove the power and ground wires and check the solenoid coil. I don’t know what resistance it should be but if its an open circuit the coil is shot and youll need a new solenoid.

Nothing marine specific about that solenoid assembly. They get weak with age. Buy 2 and carry a spare.
And yeah it's scary the first time one fails and you are trying to shutdown the engine. Fortunately the arm is hand operable.

Believe this is it?

Attachments

• Perkins stop solenoid.jpg
    Perkins stop solenoid.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom