Type of Dingy, Inflatable or NOT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vous parlez decidement un bien bon francais pour quelqu'un qui vit la tete en bas! Je prend en effet vos remarques avec le plus grand interet et je vous en remercie. :)

Ah, Merci, mais soyez prudent avec vos compliments, comme vie downunder, louange pourrait couler et me donner ce qu’ils appellent ici, une tête de swelled...*!

Croiriez-vous que j’ai ramassé la plupart de mes Français lors d’une visite à Nouméa... nah... :socool:

Pardonnez moi sil vous plait, posting in English (worse still in Australian English). We have 2 kayaks for fun,exercise,toys,and going places. Aussi, a 2.6M inflatable with outboard engine.We are working on storage issues, we like all of them.

The admiral would like 2 kayak very much to go on "exploration" while at the anchor or docking (we are cruising inland waterways for now so many lakes islands etc). I tend to agree with her as it would be fun to be docking somewhere and go in kayak for a little nap on a island in the middle of a lake. However a dinghy will also be more practical to bring goods aboard, even if at this point of time I do not think it will be our priority where we are cruising.
In our case my major concern about non inflatable dinghy is the weight as we need to get it up/down by hand.

In our case my major concern about non inflatable dinghy is the weight as we need to get it up/down by hand.

No matter what weight you might end up with... FWIW, St. Croix makes a portable winch/davit thing that you could leverage against a bow rail... to raise and lower a dinghy or kayak that you might store on a foredeck... or against an aft railing if you want to carry on a boat deck. It's still weight-limited, but might be worth a look for your consideration...

-Chris

I went with both. I have a RIB and a hard dinghy. Both have their uses, benefits and negatives. The RIB is more stable but a dog to row. The hard dinghy is pleasant to row, but a bit tippy. My Torqeedo electric outboard pushes both easily at 3-3.5 knots which is as fast as I need to go.

DD,
I wouldn't have liked that either.
But it may not be offensive where he comes from.

I went with both. I have a RIB and a hard dinghy. Both have their uses, benefits and negatives. The RIB is more stable but a dog to row. The hard dinghy is pleasant to row, but a bit tippy. My Torqeedo electric outboard pushes both easily at 3-3.5 knots which is as fast as I need to go.

TDunn,
I have a hard time finding room on Willy for one dink. Did think of having two kayaks though .. as in one for each of us. Too hard to get in and out of.
I have no use or respect for RIBs, duckies or any other variation of same. They are good when you're no using them on a painter next to the mother boat.

We have owned both hard support boats as well as inflatables and RIBS.
For us the inflatables always won hands down for our use and fun.
At this point we have owned at least a dozen inflatables with all but one being used at the time of purchase.

But inflatables and RIBS vary greatly in all aspects - size , speed, economy, capacity , range , weight, etc. I have found that taking your time and knowing what you really want in an inflatable or RIB will make you much happier with the one you choose.

After years cruising with a RIB and 10hp outboard, from Bahamas to the Great Lakes, I have to say it served us well. It was nice to have a fast dinghy on the rare occasion we had to cover a distance from our anchorage, or just wanted to explore in the area. Raising it on the davits was a bit of a chore (outboard attached) due to weight and I had considered replacing it with an aluminum-hulled one for that reason, but never did.

Now that we're on a different boat (Nordic Tug 32) and cruising in a different area (West Coast) I've just ordered a different dinghy - a Portland Pudgy (image below from their website).

You never know unless you try...

Screen Shot 2016-12-30 at 8.28.55 AM.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0417.jpg
    IMG_0417.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
dvd. Cruising from the Bahamas to the Great lakes with/in A RIB!! - I take my hat off to You sir, truly impressive! :)

If you're talking inflatables or RIB's I do highly recommend Hypalon or a Hypalon/Neoprene combination.

Sorry buddy, don't know the source of your web site but Martinique is not a country but a DOM (lookup DOM definition as I do not know the English translation) so its flag is French flag the same way Hawaii flag is US flag.
Same for Guadeloupe that is not even part of their list of supposed North American countries...
It was only a joke for Richard no need to start an anchor thread like mentionned by kev :)

Just like the Quebec flag is part of...Canada, and not France, right?

Richard

Thinking ahead to your trip up the west coast to Alaska, I think the RIB for a primary dinghy is the way to go. The one I have now is a fire breather with console and 20 hp Honda. It "go way fast". 15 Hp would be plenty even with 4 people because the 20 won't get on step with that much in the boat. The other thing to consider about a RIB is it can be towed relatively easily which I do for short hops in good water. For short hops from the boat to the beach with the dog, I use a ten year old inflatable called a Power Drifter or an inflatable kayak (Aire Outfitter 2). As you get further north you have to plan on big tide swings when going to the beach. I can't carry the RIB up the beach so I use an Anchor Buddy with a long rope to keep it floating. The inflatables I can carry up the beach above the high tide line, or down the beach to the low tide line.

Tom

... it would be fun to be docking somewhere and go in kayak for a little nap on a island in the middle of a lake. However a dinghy will also be more practical to bring goods aboard, even if at this point of time I do not think it will be our priority where we are cruising.
Restocking the boat with food and drink using kayaks could be a damp experience. Sit on kayaks easily get wet, but are great fun for recreation and exercise. We have been manhandling the inflatable to the FB, that`s about to change with the St. Croix crane(thank goodness). Even that is difficult so manhandling a hard dinghy anywhere will be a challenge. Get an inflatable, buy it a cover, look after it, it will last for years. Our non hypalon Korean made "Island Inflatables" brand is still good after 9 years.

Last edited:
...Thought Aussies called inflatables chew toys for crocs?
Fortunately crocs are confined to northern states. I always thought northerners used inflatables with hard external floors, like f/g or aluminum,to deal with coral etc, but it might dissuade the crocs, unless they use the hard floor for aggressive teeth cleaning, removing fragments of tourist from between the teeth, that kind of thing.:ermm:

Sorry, don't mind me for the little correction but you are in France not North America :rofl:

We are both right, it's still North America, even though it's a Department of France

Bullfrog rigid tender with aluminum hull and not inflatable. I have a 10' with 15hp four stroke. It's heavy but strong, and fast (21mph).

Well the outboard I have now is only 5 HP, and I can't spend big bucks, since the PC costs $2500 plus I need to put a little fuel in the boat, but thankfully not much.

I'll keep my eye out for used.

Here is the inspiration for our hard dinghy, a Trinka 10.

The picture is of my father in law, rowing his 60 year old Dyer 8' dinghy in Block Island, it was purchased second hand 45 years ago. This is my inlaws only dinghy and they have no engine beyond their oars. This dinghy has traveled to Europe and back by way of the Canaries, it has seen Newfoundland, the Bahamas, the Intercoastal Waterway, it's been to Bermuda several times and it has completed most of the Great Loop.
It has been gently down the stream and back up more times than many of us can imagine...
It is still being used by my 84 year old inlaws who are planning on cruising to Maine next summer, old oars and all!
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_0070.JPG
    IMG_0070.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 89
Here is the inspiration for our hard dinghy, a Trinka 10.

The picture is of my father in law, rowing his 60 year old Dyer 8' dinghy in Block Island, it was purchased second hand 45 years ago. This is my inlaws only dinghy and they have no engine beyond their oars. This dinghy has traveled to Europe and back by way of the Canaries, it has seen Newfoundland, the Bahamas, the Intercoastal Waterway, it's been to Bermuda several times and it has completed most of the Great Loop.
It has been gently down the stream and back up more times than many of us can imagine...
It is still being used by my 84 year old inlaws who are planning on cruising to Maine next summer, old oars and all!
Bruce

Just too cool :thumb:

I stopped in to Gig Harbor Boat works and chatted with them this afternoon. Unfortunately, I can't fit their 12' on my boat. But their 9.5' or 10' would both work nicely. I think that either of them would work with my Seawise Davits as well as being able to put it up on the boat deck with the crane.

The 10' Navigator weighs about 100 lbs with gear. My RIB has an empty weight of 135 lbs plus another 100lbs for the motor. That doesn't include battery and fuel. I like the idea of less weight to deal with.

DD,
I wouldn't have liked that either.
But it may not be offensive where he comes from.

News to me anyone would take exception to the use of the word 'buddy'. To me it is the American equivalent to the word 'mate' Aussies use all the time...
In the context used it does not denote one is a best friend or buddy, or best mate, but rather used as a slightly nicer way of saying, "hey you", or "hey fella".

I'm sure that's how Lou meant it anyway...

News to me anyone would take exception to the use of the word 'buddy'. To me it is the American equivalent to the word 'mate' Aussies use all the time...
In the context used it does not denote one is a best friend or buddy, or best mate, but rather used as a slightly nicer way of saying, "hey you", or "hey fella".

Indeed, and thank you for this well written clarification. :thumb:
As posted before, I never intended to be offensive in any way. That is maybe what we call being lost in translation.
Anyway, aren't we on this forum all buddy, mate, ami or any similar translation for the same meaning of frienship in any language as members of the great trawler lovers family :flowers:

Wifey B: I try to always assume people don't mean to be insulting unless it's obvious. You're very correct that buddy is used by many similarly to mate. However, there is a usage as "a condescending term used sarcastically to describe someone that you consider below yourself" and there's also a usage in arguments sometimes that is like trying to call someone a friend, who you don't know that closely, while telling them they're an idiot.

Like many words it's got different connotations to different people. Not meaning to imply it was used offensively, but also understanding how it could be taken that way.

There are also areas of the world in which using terms of endearment or friendship casually is not well received. Central and South America has some countries like that. Hubby traveled a lot on business and he was warned for offensive words or actions as he went to each country. He told me the hardest one for him was meeting with a group in Guatemala that expected formality and didn't think humor had any place in a business meeting. He said going two hours without laughing or making a joke was cruel and unusual punishment especially when it seemed like every thing said was a perfect setup for humor.

His mother was very offended by waitresses who would use terms like darling or honey speaking to her. Hubby just tries to top what they said. So if they call him honey, he'll reply and call them sweetheart. I thought I'd never stop giggling one day when the waitress took the challenge. It kept proceeding and he thought he had her with "lover" but she followed up topping that with an obscene but friendly name for him. I then said "You two get a room." :rofl:

Indeed, and thank you for this well written clarification. :thumb:
As posted before, I never intended to be offensive in any way. That is maybe what we call being lost in translation.
Anyway, aren't we on this forum all buddy, mate, ami or any similar translation for the same meaning of frienship in any language as members of the great trawler lovers family :flowers:

Wifey B: Ok, calling Donna or any other lurking females on this. What if someone here started a post to you as "Beautiful," or people you don't know refer to you in that way? How would you react?

Back
Top Bottom