Vetus bow thruster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dkk3000

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1987 Grand Banks 36 Classi
I’ve got a grand Banks 36 classic with a Vetus bow thruster model number BOW50112. The solenoid went bad and the bow thruster stop working. I bought a very similar solenoid from the auto parts store and hooked it up and I’m getting no power to the thruster I’m wondering if anybody has had this issue or is it a special solenoid? It is not the solenoids in the main unit, but looks to be one in front of that. It’s a aftermarket installation. I can jump. The two large cables and it will work. But I’m having no luck with this aftermarket solenoid. I have attached a picture of both solenoids. The one on the right is the one that came with the unit or was installed before I purchased the boat.

Attachments

• Resized_Resized_20240914_142958.jpeg
    Resized_Resized_20240914_142958.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 13
Appearance is not a good way to find a suitable replacement. I suspect the key specs you need to screen for are:
1) voltage 12v?
2) current rating. Thrusters are high current draws. Find the max amperage draw on your thruster (specs should be online)
3) as far as I know most thrusters will provide a reversible output. This will change how your motor spins to move port or starboard
4) I would probably stick with one built for the marine environment. Often they are in high moisture environments with salt exposure unless you are in fresh water.

It sounds like a bad solenoid due to the fact that you can jump it and it works. OR you have a bad connection at the switch that operates it.

The two little posts are for the control signal. You should have 12 volts there to close the relay.
I take it that this is a remote disconnect? There should be a switch to operate it. Maybe that is bad or doesn’t have any power.

The two little posts are for the control signal. You should have 12 volts there to close the relay.
I take it that this is a remote disconnect? There should be a switch to operate it. Maybe that is bad or doesn’t have any power.
Should I have 12 V at both of the small post. The other thing I was thinking, it might be a bad control module at the helm. Does that sound like a possibility?

No, one is 12V, the other ground. Polarity not important. If wired this way should "click" when powered, no need to attach high current cables for this test.

So the original solenoid went bad and the new one is also bad? Maybe the original wasn’t really bad but the problem is elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom