Video cameras with CE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ka_sea_ta

Guru
I'm trying to find which or what type of cameras to purchase. I would like a pair of cameras to view the engines while underway and also one or two cameras to view the the stern while docking. If possible I would like to view the images in the CE instrument screen. I have several questions; IP cameras seem to offer the best solution but I can't find any that mention the ability to mirror the image (think back up camera).... standard ntsc cameras I can find with reverse image but the CE computer doesn't have a video port. I can find a ntsc to HDMI converter but this would require an hdmi switch or multiplexer and I can't find the answer on how or if CE would resolve multiple video sources on one HDMI input. I know that there backup cameras with a monitor available but I really don't want to find space for another monitor... I'm sure someone has done this and any suggestions would be appreciated....

I have experience with only a few IP cameras, Samsung and Hikvision in particular, and both have the ability to mirror an image.

As for CE, I didn't know it can display IP cameras, so you learn something new every day.

Search on camera installation April, 4,2020…. Lots of information there and it ended up working…still does after 4 years if use

When I got the Raymarine axiom chartplotter I saw in the manual that it would display video. When I started looking for a WIFI camera I quickly found out it had to be a specific camera to work at all. At $600 + I still do not have a camera.
I do have a cheap wifi backup camera that works with android tablet. Only I have to remember to setup beforehand to see back of boat as tablet is not dedicated to the camera.
Before you buy, make sure it will work as you expect it to.

You might even look at some security systems that have their own display.

What is a CE?

I have a garmn system and installed an Irius camera system. Is expensive but Ip cameras all ran through cad 6 wire, Through a gig switch, includes security and recording. All through the Garmin screens.

I have reolink cameras they're cheap and very good quality pictures light or dark . I have 6 mounted around the boat going to a dedicated flat screen, its all monitored to a 2TB hard drive, wifi connected with alarms that send you an email if desired all setable. Video quality is excellent. Price for 4 cameras and hard drive was 500.00 Cdn it will do up to 8 cameras. Extra cameras are cheap depending on what you want ie; wide angle etc. You just have to wire the cameras in it takes a bit and would cost a fortune if you hired someone to do it. I've had it now for 2 years no problems, I can check them anywhere I'm at in the world. It also stores about 2 weeks of video and loops over itself after that.

Not sure what a CE is but you can connect non-Raymarine cameras to a Raymarine display. It has to support a specific but standard protocol, check the manual. The issue with IP cameras is that there is a delay, around 0.5 seconds. So, if you want to use it for docking, you do want an analog camera. You can get a quality video converters cheaply on Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom