Visibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donald Tyson

I heard somebody mention that raked windshields are difficult to see out of. I'm interested in men ship pilot 30 and a number of the Bayliner and series of the same size. Most of them seem to have camper tops on them or hard tops. It appears to me that most people stand while underway and look out the isenglass above the windshield. So if I sit in these boats and there is no Flybridge or Campertop is the visibility from the helm still okay.

I have a 1999 Bayliner 4788 and drive 90% from the FB, much better sight lines and nice to be in the breeze, inside only used if cold or rainy. Sitting on the FB helm, I'm 5'9", I can see right over the windshield. We don't use the isinglass as I prefer to not look through plastic. I can sit or stand in the PH and view through the glass windows however when standing am looking out the very top of the swept area.

We had a Bayliner similar to what you described for about a decade on the SF bay. When cruising, I would typically be seated for the 90% of the time that is just relaxed. If there was anything going on, I would be standing up. Even something as benign as being in an area with a few other boats, I would automatically stand up to have the best view. The view was not restricted at all.

The one thing that was an issue is salt water. Once the windshield and isinglass got splashed a few times, visibility would be reduced because it leaves a residue. In the years I had the boat, I can only think of one time that the salt water was really an issue. We were headed into a harbor for an overnight in SF going through an area with heavy commercial and recreational traffic. I ended up having to turn around and just hang out for a few minutes until there was a gap in traffic that I felt comfortable with given reduced visibility. A bucket of fresh water over the isinglass and windshield helps out a lot.

We had a Bayliner similar to what you described for about a decade on the SF bay. When cruising, I would typically be seated for the 90% of the time that is just relaxed. If there was anything going on, I would be standing up. Even something as benign as being in an area with a few other boats, I would automatically stand up to have the best view. The view was not restricted at all.

The one thing that was an issue is salt water. Once the windshield and isinglass got splashed a few times, visibility would be reduced because it leaves a residue. In the years I had the boat, I can only think of one time that the salt water was really an issue. We were headed into a harbor for an overnight in SF going through an area with heavy commercial and recreational traffic. I ended up having to turn around and just hang out for a few minutes until there was a gap in traffic that I felt comfortable with given reduced visibility. A bucket of fresh water over the isinglass and windshield helps out a lot.
Thanks for these cautioning remarks. I'm familiar with that area and hope to see my wet though the delta some year. I love that area. I visit all the Garden centers and Ace stores of that whole area and even my Dog is a California McNab Cattledog. So I understand the traffic issue as I see it from land. I don't see an issue but the wife may be more affected.
I would be wet a lot off Atlantic City or in Long Island sound but the largest portion of my boating will be in protected bays and rivers.

It appears to me that most people stand while underway and look out the isenglass above the windshield.
did not know most people stand while underway. I only stand in rough waters underway.
Isenglass above windshield? Do you mean the ventura on the CB? I hate looking through clear plastic and remove them during the cruising season.
Actually lowered the helm chair so my eyes are just above the ventura (which I can see thru) to better shield from wind. Great visibilty, and I can stand when more is needed.

Back
Top Bottom