Wanted to say Hi!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Merlin

Vessel Name
Merlin
Vessel Make
2008 Mainship Trawler 34
Hi everyone! My name is Richard and I am joining in your great Trawler get together! With a good friend from New York he is also wanting to enjoy some boating time by doing that really appealing Loop!

I managed to find a 2008 Mainship Trawler 34 with 2 engines and hopefully she will be finished with being 'prepped' by Bridgeton Boats works in New Bern, nc where she has been for the last three months!

I'm scared about doing something like this, and I'm not some captain although I'm also not without all experience of boating, but I have a suspicion it's going to be something to be learned by experience.

Anyway, I hope i will hear from and learn about many of you as I'm sure we all are looking for enjoyment and satisfaction and I am certainly willing to help out if my help is needed! I am a friend of Bill's for all who understand that and we are both proud to be Americans too! God Bless!

Welcome aboard. While some may have been born aboard, we all had to learn boat stuff. You'll do fine. Somehow I've survived my many learning curves.

Welcome Aboard! Lots of Mainship owners on T.F.

pete

You'll be fine... but you'll also make mistakes, embarrass yourself in front of others and find yourself diagnosing problems in tiny spaces. It's inevitable... but common sense and humility goes a long way. Boat owners tend to be a very helpful and supportive group because we've all been there.

It's all worth it, however, for the beautiful anchorages and serene passages where nothing bad happens at all!

Welcome. Post some pics of the boat when you can. Is that a 34 Pilot?

Hi everyone,
Thanks so much for all the positive responses too! My dilemma is that I must now do this all alone and I'm wondering if I can run such a large boat with only ME! I am considering using a cutwater 26 since it's only me instead. I had to say this, but any suggestions? ha ha.... I know we can all do it alone but that seems a rather large boat if it's only me? Is it just normal or am I correct in this?

Richard

Last boat I singlehanded was my 27' sailboat. Annapolis MD to Sarasota FL. That was in '89. Basically no boating til purchasing a GB 36. Singlehanded that from Marathon FL to Crisfield MD last September.
For me, it is how easy is it to get around the boat? Wide side decks. Do you have to walk a 6" side deck to get fore or aft? Or is there 18" and good side rails to grab on to?
How maneuverable is the boat? Twins are nice, but you can achieve nearly the same result with a single and bow thruster.
Have lines and fenders ready early.
The more you practice, the more comfortable you will become with singlehanding. I am a rookie next to most on here. Hopefully have all boat projects done by mid June, to start the Loop from Crisfield.

Back
Top Bottom