Weather station

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Currently have the Garmin wind speed and direction twirly bird. The first one (wireless) was a dismal failure that struggled along until the warranty expired. Second one (hard wired) has been very reliable.

I installed this during the refit so that I would know how bad a beating I was taking. :rolleyes: The advantage I see to having it is real time information for protected waterways. Whether at anchor or underway there are lots of areas on the AICW where you can have the wind but the land (sometimes marshes) protects the waterway. Then you enter a sound and get the seas to go with the wind. All I need now is the common sense to not "go for it". :facepalm:

Ted

Last edited:
For those that love tinkering, how about tinkering with one of these?

Plenty of this style of thing on ebay for under $50
Just need to figure out what type of screen to plug it into.
Some info I have found says cheap bicycle speedo, but screen is usually not much larger than a digital watch - gotta be something better

Would make the worlds cheapest "fixed" anemometer and being alloy, far more robust than the plastic ones that seem to lose cups fairly regularly or here in Oz, get trashed by cockatoos.

Pulse Signal Wind Sensor made of aluminium
s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pulse-S...990675?hash=item5489abcd53:g:cSYAAOSwNHpfRgZa

They also have wind direction sensors for similar coin.

The only time I do not enjoy my boat's voluminous interior and elevated pilothouse are when they act as windage while docking. My wind instrument helps me manage it. An advantage of the solid state (Airmar) instruments is near-instantaneous readings of wind speed and direction. Wind data, presented as an arrow and a number, is a leading indicator of boat movement; if I react to the wind I am often ahead of the boat, which is where I try to be. This data display might be less necessary if you dock from an open flybridge, where the relative wind on your face provides instantaneous qualitative info. From my pilothouse, it really helps me.

Ted said: “….Whether at anchor or underway there are lots of areas on the AICW where you can have the wind but the land (sometimes marshes) protects the waterway…” I have found this to be exactly the case most of the time, and occasionally not! Similarly, I have learned from my wind instrument that the wind on Tampa Bay is usually 7-10 mph higher than the wind in my home port, St Pete Municipal Marina. It is incredibly stress relieving to know while cruising in 22 mph gusts on the bay that arrival in our slip will be well within our comfortable operating range.

It occurs to me, reading all the prior posts, that this is another one of those cases where if you put marine in the name it quadruples in price, compared to a perfectly good domestic equivalent - a bit like cookers and fridges, etc. We find the same for medical equipment. Put the word 'clinical' or 'medical' in there and the price goes up more like ten times. Thinking vaccine storage, etc.

This is another example. We have used one of these with great effect at home for years now, and it's still going, and only needs a few AA batts replaced from time to time. Connects immediately via wireless connection, so no wiring. Appears remarkably accurate. Cheap enough if it did get damaged, simple as to replace.

I'm referring to the Holman WS5029 iWeather Station
example seen here...

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/324111256...6820&msclkid=c354b39a1db51d634398ec68f17afd8d

There are cheaper and dearer versions, but this one appears ideally mid position and tells you everything you need to know. We use it all the time at home to measure barometric pressure, rainfall, humidity inside and out, wind strength and direction, and also temp inside and out to guide use of the ducted aircon. Works for us. I can't see why it would not be superb for a boat as well. :thumb:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 8.53.34 pm.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 8.53.34 pm.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I think there is a divide here: static/location-specific data or dynamic/integrated boat data. Years ago, I had Davis system that gave very good static data but was not very useful underway. I grew bored with it, especially when the rain gauge took a digger.

What I do find useful for close-quarter maneuvering is relative wind speed/direction information. I'm having a Simrad system installed including a Airmar 120wx ultrasonic transducer. Data can be displayed on an MFD or a 4-inch data-display repeater.

Just depends on what weather data you need and how you plan to use it. For me, as psneeld states, Internet is better source for weather forecasting/conditions. While not necessary, I find wind relative speed/direction useful and interesting. I once clocked highly localized winds of 50+ kts off Pt Arena for about 30-mins. I knew it was windy of course, but being able to quantify was interesting.

Peter

I have the very reliable 'weather rock' installed both at home and on the boat.
Sometimes, old technology is best.
I replace the string every year.

This is another example. We have used one of these with great effect at home for years now, and it's still going, and only needs a few AA batts replaced from time to time. Connects immediately via wireless connection, so no wiring. Appears remarkably accurate. Cheap enough if it did get damaged, simple as to replace.

Works for us. I can't see why it would not be superb for a boat as well. :thumb:

[/QUOTE]Actually they are, Peter! I've had these for many years on my boats and can't remember any of them failing! The latest one I had is still on the boat I'm told and was used for about 5 years prior to the sale of the boat. It was in living color and the barometer told me 3 things, steady, rising & falling. (I wasn't interested n the actual barometric numbers) I have an old black & white station at home and can't remember the actual purchase date. Both my wife and I check it out every morning without a miss.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 5.41.35 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 5.41.35 AM.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 33
It occurs to me, reading all the prior posts, that this is another one of those cases where if you put marine in the name it quadruples in price, compared to a perfectly good domestic equivalent - a bit like cookers and fridges, etc. We find the same for medical equipment. Put the word 'clinical' or 'medical' in there and the price goes up more like ten times. Thinking vaccine storage, etc.

I'm referring to the Holman WS5029 iWeather Station
example seen here...

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/324111256...6820&msclkid=c354b39a1db51d634398ec68f17afd8d

There are cheaper and dearer versions, but this one appears ideally mid position and tells you everything you need to know. We use it all the time at home to measure barometric pressure, rainfall, humidity inside and out, wind strength and direction, and also temp inside and out to guide use of the ducted aircon. Works for us. I can't see why it would not be superb for a boat as well. :thumb:

$99 at Bunnings
https://www.bunnings.com.au/holman-iweather-digital-weather-station_p3110644

Its likely all the plastic bits that let you down
We had a similar , other brand unit on board when we got ours the head unit had gone all crumbly.
Black plastic often seems to hold up better in the sun for some reason

778da986-94ef-49af-9f1c-2a7cc1678684.png

Yes, Simi, that's the exact one we have and it's the original, and you're right, the plastic arms are vulnerable to the UV, and both broke over the years during different house moves, etc. But not the main one holding the wind vane and anemometer, strangely enough. However, the temp/humidity and rain gauge transducer/senders still work fine, so I just zip-tie them to the main body, and they are still churning out the data, day and night, and have done for about ten years so far. You orientate the horizontal arm holding the wind gear perpendicular to, (not in line with), North, and the wind direction is then correctly orientated.

Wow, so much for the eBay price in my link. That Bunnings price destroys that - what a rip-off on eBay..! I might even duck over to Bunnings and get a new one, because they are so good, and ours is so old, and one of the wind cups has got a few chunks out of it. :)

PS. Ours is out in all weather, 24/7 yet still going strong after about ten years. Imagine how well it would last on a boat it you demounted it, (very easy to set up), and stored it inside when not actually out in the boat..?

Attachments

• 0D4CA6C1-78EB-4BE2-8014-2BB04465DA6D.jpg
    0D4CA6C1-78EB-4BE2-8014-2BB04465DA6D.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
My boat came with a Danforth windspeed instrument. One of the anemometer cups broke off, and I did try to fix that issue but did not do it very well in getting the new cups balanced. Then one cup broke so i reinstalled one of the 2 original cups. More balance/vibration issues. That was 11 years ago.

So I fitted an Airmar WX 200, which is very good. But I'm looking at the Danforth again now to see if I can resurrect it. Its a nice looking unit. But not having much luck to date with any parts or info. such as a manual. I did see a facebook post from a place in Michigan that has repaired them, and have reached out to them. If I can get an idea of voltage & current, and whether its pulse or not then I might be able to fit a generic masthead unit.

The masthead unit I have may need a new roller bearing, although I'll try cleaning and lubricating the one thats in there. Then, if i could mount a set of cups that were well balanced it might be OK. I'll also try spinning it to measure voltage.

Does anyone have one of these things, likely 1980's era?

Attachments

• Danforth front.jpg
    Danforth front.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Danforth profile.jpg
    Danforth profile.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Danforth rear.jpg
    Danforth rear.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Danforth anemometer masthead.jpg
    Danforth anemometer masthead.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I recently repaired my dash mounted sr mariner unit that had broken cups and a bad pot for wind direction. I think it’s a bit different than yours though. I found a set of cups I could make an adapter to mount to my shaft. Lubed up the bushings and it’s good now. Mine was a pulse output, and no means to calibrate it, so I’m not sure the accuracy is perfect, but it’s close. It wasn’t exactly easy to find cups, I think I bought some Davis cups off Amazon. I only wanted something with a set screw so I could adapt it.
I believe yours is a voltage generator. It’s not powered by the boats 12volt system as far as I can tell by the pictures.
I think if you can find a new set of cups to fit your shaft it’ll work again. If the bearings are bad there are many replacements you could look at. I just put some all ceramic bearings in a sheave to test them in marine environment. No lube, no rust, cheap.
You should have screw adjustments behind the stickers. That should be a zero and full scale adjustment. So if the cups aren’t exactly the same size as the old ones, you should be able to get it pretty close.

It would be nice if the max wind were posted.
We have no idea unless we are looking at the wind readout when and while it is happening.

I recently repaired my dash mounted sr mariner unit that had broken cups and a bad pot for wind direction. I think it’s a bit different than yours though. I found a set of cups I could make an adapter to mount to my shaft. Lubed up the bushings and it’s good now. Mine was a pulse output, and no means to calibrate it, so I’m not sure the accuracy is perfect, but it’s close. It wasn’t exactly easy to find cups, I think I bought some Davis cups off Amazon. I only wanted something with a set screw so I could adapt it.
I believe yours is a voltage generator. It’s not powered by the boats 12volt system as far as I can tell by the pictures.
I think if you can find a new set of cups to fit your shaft it’ll work again. If the bearings are bad there are many replacements you could look at. I just put some all ceramic bearings in a sheave to test them in marine environment. No lube, no rust, cheap.
You should have screw adjustments behind the stickers. That should be a zero and full scale adjustment. So if the cups aren’t exactly the same size as the old ones, you should be able to get it pretty close.

Thanks for this. I did get some useful feedback from the Facebook post I mentioned above.

The instrument is in the vicinity of 50 years old. Speed sensors for these were made by a company called Nassau Instruments, who supplied a couple of other manufacturers as well. Originally they were White (Wilfred O White), before Danforth bought out White. But unfortunately Nassau is long out of business.

The critical piece of info is that the output is 1.5V DC. I had hoped it would be 3V as that is what some of the sensors I've found online operate at. So my plan now is to clean the existing bearings and modify cups that I have to see if the magnet/coil works OK. The 2 bearings are about an inch apart and although small I suspect they will be obtainable. The larger one, in pic below, is about 3/8" OD. Then get some cups as close as I can to the originals, of which I still have 2. They fit into an aluminium boss with small set screws holding them in place. And yes, beneath the labels are some screws for calibration. At this point removing the stickers and voiding the guarantee is not much of a concern!

Attachments

• Danforth sensor 1.jpg
    Danforth sensor 1.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Yes, maybe. I'd need to know the current to be able to add a resistor to drop the voltage from 2.5 down to 1.5. So Plan B at this point.

Right now I'm going to try and solder a wire to a broken terminal on the coil (or armature) in the base of the sensor unit. Then spin the cup section up to see if I get some voltage.

Edit: YES! I get some millivolts, and when connected to the wind gauge I get a reading. So now to sort out bearings......

Last edited:
Yes, maybe. I'd need to know the current to be able to add a resistor to drop the voltage from 2.5 down to 1.5. So Plan B at this point.

Right now I'm going to try and solder a wire to a broken terminal on the coil (or armature) in the base of the sensor unit. Then spin the cup section up to see if I get some voltage.

Edit: YES! I get some millivolts, and when connected to the wind gauge I get a reading. So now to sort out bearings......

Progress. It’s nice to bring back those old instruments. They were built so well and meant to last a lifetime.
I doubt you’ll have trouble finding new bearings, I’ve found that there’s a lot of the small ones available for use in robotics and radio control stuff. Lots of them come in ten packs for reasonable prices.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom