What Are Your Favorite Foods For Longterm Storage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chocolates.
Preferably in a handy spot in case of emergency.
We are learning the art of forage.
At tide-line, we can forage:
* mussels and clams
* tons of sea vegetables.
With dive-gear, we are after:
* crab and lobster
* abalone
* any no-limit invasive species.
In the freeze-dried category, any of the MountainHouse-style entrees need help.
Similar to opening a can of tuna or soup, the ingredients are merely a foundation for the rest of the meal.
We like to build with:
* some bone-broth
* sausage, browned, juicy fluid added to the stew
* left-over steak, diced and tossed in.
The finishing touch is a handful of fresh greens, similar to a brothy Thai stew.

Costco pretty much always has shelf stable milk,
Tom

The irradiated "shelf stable" milk is a big seller at the Alaska Costcos; we used to fly it to Seldovia by the case, but haven't found it in the "Lesser 48", except for the 8oz lunchbox size.

One of my latest finds is True Lime, a powdered crystallized lime juice in little packets. It's intended to be added to water to add some zing. Powerful stuff. I haven't tried this yet, but I think it would work just like fresh lime juice and be great for ceviche, one of our favorites.

True Lime worked great for ceviche. What was missing was fresh tortillas. Turns out that I could make them on my induction stove top. Also, another hit for long term storage and ease of preparation was dehydrated frijoles. These have a little salt in them so just had hot water.

And, never been washed...

This is the secret! ^^^
Take a store bought egg and put it in a spoon then slowly lower it into boiling water until submerged. You’ll see a stream of air bubbles coming out of it.

Back
Top Bottom