What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MichaelD

Vessel Name
Athena
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4588
This was on the boat when I bought it. PO didn’t know what it was. Could it be a radar target?

[ IMG_2157.jpg

Does it have a wire running anywhere?

Nope. Just a hunk of aluminum on a SS railing mount.

Yeah, and what's the jackpot? are you saying it's a radar target?

could be but doesn't appear an effective design unless there are some orthogonal reflectors embedded in that cylinder. Maybe there are.

If you unscrew it off is there any label underneath?

Where on the boat is it? I was wondering if they were putting a spool of poly rope on it for a stern tie?

It wouldn't give a very good radar return. Does it turn or slide at all? Could it support anything like a Bimini or sun shade?

It is an aluminum rod on a stainless post with ratchet and clamp.
Maybe an experiment on dissimilar metals.

Phallic symbol

More like a phallic dream or phallic nightmare.
I agree with those who say it is a RADAR target. Once you confirm it is a target, might consider mounting it higher and more on the centerline
Just my opinion.

Not much of a radar target with no flat areas to bounce off of. I highly doubt that’s what it is.

Not much of a radar target with no flat areas to bounce off of. I highly doubt that’s what it is.

Hint: no wires to or from the thing.

They make reflectors in many shapes and sizes.

You never know if they work….. they just sit there like a bump on a log. LOL
I guess the only wat you could confirm the working is to see if your buddy sees you better on his radar.

Last edited:
It is akin to Coast Guard Aux safety stickers. When the aliens return this is so they know you have already been probed and no need to reprobe.

It is akin to Coast Guard Aux safety stickers. When the aliens return this is so they know you have already been probed and no need to reprobe.

I could say something but I would banned for life. (Innocent look)

Replying to several comments:
It’s mounted on upper deck railing, about 10’ above WL.
It appears to be a solid piece of Al threaded onto the SS part.

So, decent location for radar target. Not apparently a good design for radar target.

No comment on its various bio-analog interpretation functionality.

It looks like something serious so inthink I’ll keep it as a conversation piece.

You want a very effective reflector?
Put a metal trash can on your pilot house roof.
You can read up on radar reflectors, shapes and sizes if you wish.
I am so confident that is a reflector, I will bet a nickel.
Of course I will limit my lose up to a dollar total.
I’d hate to take everyone’s money and then I guess I will have to report my winnings to the Feds.

Last edited:
There are plenty of cylindrical radar reflectors on the market, but they contain a series of orthogonal reflectors. This appears to be solid.

There are plenty of cylindrical radar reflectors on the market, but they contain a series of orthogonal reflectors. This appears to be solid.

It’s can that screws down on the bass making it water proof….. the goodies are mounted on the base inside the can.

I really hate to take your money, sort of. LOL

When I don't know what something is I throw it away. Then next week I learn exactly what it was for and why I need one.

Another solution, cant find it, buy another and the first one wil show up

Put money on it?

It’s can that screws down on the bass making it water proof….. the goodies are mounted on the base inside the can.

I really hate to take your money, sort of. LOL

Nope. It’s a solid cylinder if Al, markings show turning on large. When unscrewed, it’s a 1” threaded hole that screws onto the stainless pipe. Inside is just the bottom of the drilled and threaded hole.

So nobody knows what it is despite a lot of clever surmises. Obviously, it’s a conversation piece.

At least it looks like it's adjustable with a ratchet mount. The non adjustable units tend to get in the way.

Back
Top Bottom