When Does it Become Cost Prohibited?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Who would go back to a 'rag top' whatever the price of fuel.?

No.

While I don't spend much time in the ocean, the vast majority (4 out of 5) of cruising sailboats I see are motoring. Think they sail on nice sailing days. See a higher percentage sailing on the Chesapeake, Lake Champlain and the Great Lakes.

Ted

No.

While I don't spend much time in the ocean, the vast majority (4 out of 5) of cruising sailboats I see are motoring. Think they sail on nice sailing days. See a higher percentage sailing on the Chesapeake, Lake Champlain and the Great Lakes.

Ted

Obviously on the ICW they're motoring. We occasionally do day charters for sailboats in prime sailing areas like the Chesapeake. Even recently chartered in the Bahamas while there on a powerboat. Elsewhere along the coast you can enjoy sailing but the time required to get to sea and then to raise your sails and lower before you come back in eliminates most day sailing.

Obviously on the ICW they're motoring. We occasionally do day charters for sailboats in prime sailing areas like the Chesapeake. Even recently chartered in the Bahamas while there on a powerboat. Elsewhere along the coast you can enjoy sailing but the time required to get to sea and then to raise your sails and lower before you come back in eliminates most day sailing.

I'm not expecting them to sail in narrow waterways, but the AICW has large areas that one could sail for hours, and most don't.

Ted

I'm not expecting them to sail in narrow waterways, but the AICW has large areas that one could sail for hours, and most don't.

Ted

On older blow-goes, where new tech elect rigging manipulators are not so much present, sailing for not too many hours between engine runs can entail a lot of physical effort. Much depends on physical condition, age and number of hands aboard. Grandpa and grandma not likely to desire unfurl, furl and do it all over again too often. Lots easier to listen to gentle putt, putt while the deep keel effortlessly glides through water with mast at 90 degree angle and 'hors d'oeuvres' at the ready!

Jus sayen!! :D

I just delayed our Bahamas trip at well over $8/gal and possibility of fuel shortages in outer islands it does not make sense to risk the taking trip with the uncertainties.

Will stay in Florida but enjoy going to some places on my Florida bucket list.

We get what we voted for

Unfortunately, this is thier plan.. Make fuel cost so much we won't and can't use it.

After all, we have only 12 years until New York is under water.. Wait, that was 3 years ago.. OK.. 9 years left.

Everyone has different experiences with sailing so I don't see the point of debating. There were days that I would raise sails and sail off my mooring and sail back to it at the end of the day and never start the motor. YMMV. What I do find interesting in New England at least, is that certain harbors are very sail-centric. Some harbors and marinas will have only a few scattered sailboats where others are mostly sail. I guess it's like owning a Harley. If I have to explain it, you wouldn't get it!

Last edited:
Thinking about it we will probably modify our cruising a bit, however I wouldn't think of cancelling the season. It may mean staying at a location on anchor for a longer period, shortening or narrowing the cruising field, etc.
And for us, cruising at a slower pace.

Since my home is solar powered and my cars are electric, I'm not as affected by the price of fuel as much. Even the boat is powered by solar for onboard systems when on anchor. So, it's just all about the engines and cruising. The most expensive part of boating.

Enjoy!

Everyone has different experiences with sailing so I don't see the point of debating. There were days that I would raise sails and sail off my mooring and sail back to it at the end of the day and never start the motor. YMMV. What I do find interesting in New England at least, is that certain harbors are very sail-centric. Some harbors and marinas will have only a few scattered sailboats where others are mostly sail. I guess it's like owning a Harley. If I have to explain it, you wouldn't get it!

The closer to shore and protected waters more powerboats. Particularly express style. The further out you get, like Nantucket the more sailboats and trawlers. Also distances. You see a lot more trawlers and sailboats in Cuttyhunk because it's a natural stop over for slow boats. planing boats can cruise on by. I never stopped at Cuttyhunk when I had a planing boat, at 8 kts it's a mandatory stop-over for me now.

Plan is to go to Glacier Bay, Alaska late Spring, then back to Puget Sound, then to Sea of Cortez in Fall . . . Roughly 7000 miles. 7.5 kts, 2.4 gph. you do the math

Loosing another boating season for whatever reason . . . Covid . . . .price of fuel . . . THAT expense is too much, so we'll be doing it pretty much whatever fuel costs. Does that answer the question?

Scot,

At least when you make it South of the Border (SOB) there will be no major increase of fuel prices for diesel at marinas. My local marinas here in San Carlos are priced the same as any station in town. Current diesel prices are around $21MXN pesos/liter.

That equates to 3.7854/liters per gallon = $79.50 Mxn/ US Gallon or $3.92USD/US Gallon. Much, much better than the reports of nearly double that.

My guess is that by the time you get to cross over from SoCal to Ensenada you will see fuel prices SOB less than half of the California prices.

I am kicking myself for NOT filling up before I put "Ramble On" up for the Winter. Could have paid for a few months at Swantown Boatworks storage fees.

Hindsight is a major PITA. Jaja ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
It becomes cost prohibitive when YOU can no longer afford it.

Since my home is solar powered and my cars are electric, I'm not as affected by the price of fuel as much. Even the boat is powered by solar for onboard systems when on anchor. So, it's just all about the engines and cruising. The most expensive part of boating.

Enjoy!

Meanwhile Florida is passing a law to make solar less affordable and easy to justify.

Thanks Art. I tend to believe in capitalism and laissez-faire in principal. I do have to admit that I am disturbed to hear that oil companies are hauling in record profits right now. I expect prices to rise with the cost of oil but that doesn't mean that profit margins have to rise as well. I may be getting this wrong by just listening to the news. But if the price of oil doubles, but the cost of producing and supplying gas to consumers only goes up 20%, why should the cost of gas double? Just because consumers think it's a 1 to 1 relationship to the price of crude? Or is it a money grab by big oil? I generally don't demonize big business or deny their right to maximize profits, but not if they are taking advantage of us just because they can.

And what's wrong with making a profit. While I don't believe in gouging, I don't believe we have that. Oil prices have doubled in the past year, why wouldn't we expect to see gasoline prices double, too? And who was helping the oil man when oil went to negative $35 a barrel a few years ago.

And, if you were in the oil business, you'd want to maximize your profits? It's supply and demand.

If you want to "hedge" yourself against oil price, invest in some.

One nice thing about the boat, is one can have a good time without ever leaving the dock... or take a short run out for a sunset cruise. Cheap.

I'm not giving up on the boating.

And what's wrong with making a profit. While I don't believe in gouging, I don't believe we have that. Oil prices have doubled in the past year, why wouldn't we expect to see gasoline prices double, too? And who was helping the oil man when oil went to negative $35 a barrel a few years ago.

And, if you were in the oil business, you'd want to maximize your profits? It's supply and demand.

If you want to "hedge" yourself against oil price, invest in some.

One nice thing about the boat, is one can have a good time without ever leaving the dock... or take a short run out for a sunset cruise. Cheap.

I'm not giving up on the boating.

I'm guessing you didn't really take the time to read my post. I never said there is anything wrong with a company making a profit. I'm not an oil or gas expert, but I can make a reasonable assumption that the cost of crude oil is one of many cost components that go into producing gas. So you may make an assumption that if oil doubles so should gas and maybe much of the public does as well. But if that's not the truth and oil companies are doubling the price of gas when their production costs have gone up 20%, then they are price gouging and taking advantage of the situation. You can argue that any company should be able to charge whatever the market will bear and maximize their profits, but some items like food and energy should be regulated. (And I happen to hate govt regulation!)

Hindsight is a major PITA. Jaja ;)

But it is 20-20! I have always filled in the fall before storing my boat for the winter because right or wrong, I've been told that is best for the fuel and the tanks. Regardless of whether you agree, over the past few years I've never regretted it and wished I had waited till spring instead. Even if the price did come down some over the winter, there's plenty of spring boating expenses so starting the season with full tanks is always a nice feeling.

The three phases of life

Remember, it's just numbers on a piece of paper. Life is real. This is not a dress rehearsal.

A friend was planning his retirement and paid a visit to a financial planner. After the planner introduced himself he announced that he knew exactly what was going to happen in the next few years.

He stated that three things were going to occur and that no matter my friend did these three things we unavoidable.

He said that the first was the go-go years. Good health and finances. Followed by the go-slow years and finally the no-go years. So true.

Again, the duration of each would be determined by health and finances. Sage advice. As we get older and witness the passing of friends and family we realize that the real barriers are in our minds and that nothing will reset the clock. No one gets out of this alive.

But it is 20-20! I have always filled in the fall before storing my boat for the winter because right or wrong, I've been told that is best for the fuel and the tanks. Regardless of whether you agree, over the past few years I've never regretted it and wished I had waited till spring instead. Even if the price did come down some over the winter, there's plenty of spring boating expenses so starting the season with full tanks is always a nice feeling.

Same here. Of course, this was the one winter we had to store with nearly empty tanks so we could transfer the remaining fuel out so the tanks were light enough to move (to permit a water tank replacement)...

Gas and petro prices are behaving exactly as commodity prices have done for ever. Whether tulips, coffee, pork bellies, copper or crude oil supply and demand fundamentals remain in place. When imposing government placed constraints on a certain industry (such as sanctions, wars or political agendas) with constant demand remaining, unnatural price increases occur as supply artificially decreases.

For boat fuel price decreases, increase volumes of oil being pumped with refining and transportation configured to accommodate demand. Petro prices will drop as a result of supply exceeding demand. Go to an over the road trucking forum if you really want to hear tales of the devastation resulting from fuel shortages. Sadly, Econ 101 still works.

Over on this side of the pond, we have always been envious of your fuel prices.

Today's price in NSW is $2.35 a litre, up from $1.70 three weeks ago.

Simi, your point is? I am pointing to pump prices here in NSW for diesel, not for 97 RON petrol.

'Lo All, I went from a 36' wooden sportsfisherman to a 46' sloop rigged sailboat, then a 43' trawler and now to a 22' cuddy cabin with a 200 hp outboard. I also still have a 14' sailboat.

The 36' sportsfisherman was really a 1958 35' Owens, with an extra foot added in the saloon and an added flybridge. It was the 1958 Owens entry in the New York Boat Show. Came with old Hercules updraft-carbureted engines. Varnished bilges, kick plates over the props and a host of other "upgrades". Changed the engines out for 270 hp Crusader engines, which necessitated new running gear. Sold that when I bought the sailboat.

The sailboat was a Starratt and Jenks 45, but measured 46' with the bow pulpit/anchor roller. That boat sailed like a dream. I brought her to Panama City from the Chesapeake and sailed her for many years. I could sail her from the dock on occasion, but normally motored out to be free of the dock and a near-by point of land. After that, I sailed when there was at least a little bit of wind. Often, there would be wind out on the Gulf of Mexico, but it would die inland in the afternoon, so often had to motor in from the Gulf. On the Gulf, I usually set the sails for the favorable wind, set the autopilot, and threw out one or two trolling lines. Caught lots of fish. I earned enough seatime to qualify for a USCG 100 ton captain's license. Unfortunately, on an attempted trip to the Dry Tortugas Islands (west of Key West, FL). I ended up getting "near" heat stroke, which seriously affected my ability to be in the sun and heat for years. Ended up having to sell the sailboat for lack of use and bought the air-conditioned Celestial.

The Celestial was a 43' Albin sundeck trawler with twin 6B5.9m engines and a generator. For a long time I had to run the boat from the lower helm in the daytime because of my intolerance to heat, but eventually I could run her from the flybridge some in the daytime. We did run her to the Dry Tortugas and lots of other places in the Gulf. Hurricane Michael destroyed the Celestial. During the hurricane, she was well tied, so ended up pulling 2 and breaking 2 40' pilings and flying downwind into still more pilings where she was holed and sunk.

I now have a 22' Cobia cuddy cabin with an outboard and a 14' Scorpion (like a Sunfish) sailboat. I take then out whenever I can. :thumb:

The point being - just being out on the water is cathartic.

"Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth;
whenever it is a damp drizzly November in my soul;
and especially whenever it requires a strong moral principle
to prevent me from methodically knocking people's hats off--
Then I account it high time to get to sea.

There is nothing surprising in this. If they but knew it,
almost all men, in their degree cherish very nearly the same feelings toward the ocean with me." (I think I got that mostly right.)

Melville
Moby Dick

Wayne

Jeepers! I've just worked it out in gallons and in New Zealand we pay $8.50 a gallon.
And my boat takes 1000 gallons..

When will fuel be too expensive?

It’s just a matter of priorities!

Attachments

• E1F2FF0D-8602-46E9-BD92-29B637CECE05.jpeg
    E1F2FF0D-8602-46E9-BD92-29B637CECE05.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 30
Simi, your point is? I am pointing to pump prices here in NSW for diesel, not for 97 RON petrol.

I quoted diesel prices in Malaysia
You quoted diesel prices in NSW
Others are quoting diesel prices from all over

Your point is?

in the PNW, we found commercial docks receptive and significant savings. If you needed large quantities, they were the best choices.

Where can I find those commercial docks in the PNW? Could you direct me to one of them where you had good experience?
My boat can take 1600 gallons (soon around 2000 gallons with the custom bladders I’ve ordered), so any penny can make a difference.

Back
Top Bottom