Where to go in the North East

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RickyD

Guru
Vessel Name
Aquarius
Vessel Make
Californian 55 CPMY
My wife and I are planning a 3 week trip from our home in California to the north east. We are thinking about landing in Quebec City, driving to Nova Scotia, then south and ending up in Boston for a flight home. What should we put on our itinerary? With arrival in Quebec on Sept 24th are we tempting the weather gods? Can we rent a car in Canada for a one way ending in Boston? So many questions, so little time. Please PM me with suggestions as I know this is not a travel forum.

What is your trip for? Not prying just wondering, just straight up land based vacation?

Yes, just flying and renting a car. Seeing the sights. Maybe take a ferry someplace. Love to be by the water before/after we see some fall foliage. Eat some lobster and other seafood. The boat stays in California, lonely she may be.

A nice drive through the Adirondacks is beautiful that time of the year. Lake Placid and I believe it’s route 9. Great short walks and hikes too if you’re into that. I really like the Adirondack experience museum in Blue Mt. lake. A ferry ride from Boston to P-town could always be fun.

I'd check the car rental thing first. I have tried to rent Seattle to Victoria or Vancouver and nobody would do a cross boarder rental. I don't know if it's always like that, or if that's a post-covid thing. Car rentals have also become VERY expensive. Anyway, the rental thing may suggest an all-Canada or all-US trip.

It's a hike to get out to the more interesting coastal parts of NS with only a single connection back to the mainland up at the more northern end.

There used to be a ferry from Yarmouth at the S end of NS over to Bar Harbor, ME or thereabouts. If the car rental works and the ferry takes cars, that could be a really good way to tour NS and not have to do a ton of backtracking. Don't underestimate the distances - it's a log way. You might also be able to turn in one car in Yarmouth, and pick up another in Maine to avoid taking a car across the boarder. Any you wouldn't need a car ferry either.

If all-Canada, Quebec City, Montreal, Ottawa, Kingston could make for a good trip. If all-US, then upstate NY, Vermont, and New Hampshire are all great that time of year.

Perhaps Quebec to Nova then leave the car there and take the ferry to Portland Me and rent a car and hit Coast of Maine and then Boston. Also consider trip to white mountains, cape cod etc

A couple days in Quebec City, I believe has some distinction for being the only walled fort city in North America. Then Saguenay Fiord. Ferry over to Gaspe. Follow coast around Gaspe then PEI. Other than Anne of Green Gables I just know PEI for mussels and oysters.

In Nova Scotia- Minas Basin, Cabot Trail, Bras D’Or, Baddeck, Loiusbourg, Halifax (good maritime museum), Peggy’s Cove, Lunenburg (good maritime museum) maybe Digby for Digby scallops.

The Cat Ferry goes from Yarmouth to Bar Harbor, about 3.5 hours.

In Maine- Acadia, Belfast (which we are preferring over more touristy towns lately) Camden, Rockland. Tenants Harbor, Port Clyde, Pemaquid Point, South Bristol are worth a look but be aware they are a bit of a drive out and back many of the peninsulas. Boothbay Harbor is very touristy but we’ve picked up a mooring or tied up and found some less touristy places to eat. Bailey Island is way out and back but scenic. West of there is our all time favorite place to tie up, Dolphin Marina. Not much there but nicest folks and great restaurant with outstanding view of Casco Bay. For a small city, we love Portland, walkable with a lot of dining choices.

Between Quebec (and by the way, if you get off the beaten path, you might want to brush up on your French even though Quebecois French is different) Nova Scotia and Maine, you won’t be more than a stones throw from salt water most of the time.

When referring to Ontario and Quebec, you should be talking about Central Canada; NS, NB and PEI are the Maritimes; NL is well, just Newfoundland and Labrador. South of the border is the NE.

On the Canadian side alone, you are looking at an area more than six times the size of California. You could easily spend two weeks just in the Maritimes and not see it all.

The regional Tripadvisor Forums, are a very good resource, especially the Ontario and Maritimes ones.
NB https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g154956-i833-New_Brunswick.html
NS https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g154967-i326-Nova_Scotia.html
ON https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g154979-i54-Ontario.html
QC https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g155025-i50-Quebec.html
NL https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g154962-i754-Newfoundland_and_Labrador.html

twistedtree, as far as I know, the major car rentals still do YVR to SEA, subject to availability.

Live here inside a park in “America’s Home Town” Plymouth MA or that’s what it says on the traffic signs. Please don’t come here. Weather sucks, fishing is bad, no worthwhile histrionic site, people are rude and don’t know how to drive, everything is too expensive, whales went home to Artic and the great whites to the tropics. No reason to come here.

As my old bump sticker said”they call it tourist season…..so when can we shoot them?

Just kidding. New England has as many diverse and singular clusters and micro environments as anyplace ve been to. Drive a few miles in just about any direction and the fauna/flora, culture, food and sights are quite different. This time of year would enjoy natural beauty. The historical sites can be seen any time of year. However concord/Lexington is a very pretty walk now.

I could write volumes on this subject being a lifetime resident of New England. Let me give it some thought and will post some favorites. I assume you are flying into and out of Quebec and probably not go much further south than Boston, are those good assumptions?

I could write volumes on this subject being a lifetime resident of New England. Let me give it some thought and will post some favorites. I assume you are flying into and out of Quebec and probably not go much further south than Boston, are those good assumptions?

Right now our plan would be to fly into Quebec City and out of Boston

When referring to Ontario and Quebec, you should be talking about Central Canada; NS, NB and PEI are the Maritimes; NL is well, just Newfoundland and Labrador. South of the border is the NE.

On the Canadian side alone, you are looking at an area more than six times the size of California. You could easily spend two weeks just in the Maritimes and not see it all.

The regional Tripadvisor Forums, are a very good resource, especially the Ontario and Maritimes ones.
NB https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g154956-i833-New_Brunswick.html
NS https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g154967-i326-Nova_Scotia.html
ON https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g154979-i54-Ontario.html
QC https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g155025-i50-Quebec.html
NL https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g154962-i754-Newfoundland_and_Labrador.html

twistedtree, as far as I know, the major car rentals still do YVR to SEA, subject to availability.

We are used to longer distances being in California. Used to driving 7 to 8 hours and seeing direct drive from Quebec City to Halifax at under 11 hours I think if we take 8-10 days to get there it should be doable still leaving time for Maine and Boston. Maybe.

Ok I'll take a shot at a few things. First, one way rentals are possible, but can be very expensive, so look into that. Some companies will charge you a per mile fee if you do not return to the same location. Since you asked such a broad question I'm going to assume you've never been to Quebec or the northeast and base recommendations on that.

Quebec is a beautiful city. Very walkable (assuming you mean Old Quebec). I recommend this hotel for both location and price. PM me and I can likely get you our corporate rate. https://www.hotelsjaro.com/palace-royal/ Park your car and spend a few days walking the streets, forts, museums, restaurants, etc. It's like going to Europe w/o leaving North America. I've never been to Nova Scocia. Another favorite city is Portland Maine. Again a very walkable old city on the water. Cobblestone streets, great food and breweries. Stay within walking distance to the old port and you can't go wrong. There are some sightseeing boats or you can go out on a working lobster boat. Great stop for a couple days. Boston is a great city, but like any major city, pretty expensive to stay. The subway system is old, but works and is not hard to navigate if you want to stay on the outskirts. A couple good to-do's are:

https://www.woodmans.com/about/the-story-of-the-fried-clam/
Allegedly invented the fried clam and harvest them in the waters out back of the restaurant. Can't go wrong for any seafood there, but the fried clams are a must. It's just north of boston so you might want to stop there on your way. (Needless to say order whole clams not strips!!)

In Boston make your way to
https://faneuilhallmarketplace.com/
lots of restaurants, shops, street performers, etc. You can also pick up the Freedom Trail which is a marked walking tour you can do yourself or with a guide through some very historical places. https://www.thefreedomtrail.org/
Whether you walk the trail or not, please visit the USS Consitution. An amazing an unforgettable experience. https://ussconstitutionmuseum.org/
Near Faneuil hall are some very old cool taverns, some of the oldest in the country. You'll know them when you see them. A favorite is Union Oyster House, Boston, MA :: Seafood and History at America's Oldest Restaurant
Walk around the few surrounding blocks and eat and drink! Stay away from the many bars called "Cheers"
That's all for now. Happy to provide more details or suggestions once you narrow your itinerary to more than "northeast"!

Last edited:
Few suggested places

We are planning a trip into that area in Canada late summer. I asked the same question to friends that have sailed through the area.
I have attached his suggestions. Just points, user has to do some research.

Which brings me to Something published by the the, I believe the Province. There are several versions depending on the length of the visit.
This one is seven days.

https://www.novascotia.com/trip-ideas/itineraries/seven-days-nova-scotia-vacation-inspiration

Attachments

• Nova Scotia.pdf
    38 KB · Views: 43

They might offer it on paper, but at least the times I have tried over the past year or two have always resulted in "no cars available". It seems to me that the major rental companies say they service everywhere, but when you go to reserve, sorry, no cars available. It all strikes me very much like the script that all call support people now follow. They repeat back a description of the problem you are having, act sympathetic, and say "I can definitely help you with that". But hey, I admit I'm a skeptical old fart.

If you want fried clams on the North Shore, I'd recommend Farnhams over Woodman's. It's also on 133, but a little before you get to "downtown" Essex when heading north from Gloucester. Cash-only, and very expensive. But very good.

If you want fried clams on the North Shore, I'd recommend Farnhams over Woodman's. It's also on 133, but a little before you get to "downtown" Essex when heading north from Gloucester. Cash-only, and very expensive. But very good.

There are a handful of places there that all compete for the best clams title. I've only been to Woodman's but I'd bet you can't go wrong in either place.

They might offer it on paper, but at least the times I have tried over the past year or two have always resulted in "no cars available". It seems to me that the major rental companies say they service everywhere, but when you go to reserve, sorry, no cars available. It all strikes me very much like the script that all call support people now follow. They repeat back a description of the problem you are having, act sympathetic, and say "I can definitely help you with that". But hey, I admit I'm a skeptical old fart.

One of my favorites

Last edited:
My wife and I are planning a 3 week trip from our home in California to the north east. We are thinking about landing in Quebec City, driving to Nova Scotia, then south and ending up in Boston for a flight home. What should we put on our itinerary? With arrival in Quebec on Sept 24th are we tempting the weather gods? Can we rent a car in Canada for a one way ending in Boston? So many questions, so little time. Please PM me with suggestions as I know this is not a travel forum.

Check Bar Harbor, Maine and Newport, Rhode Island to name 2 not on your list.

I have lived Quebec for 52 years and in addition to having boats for 39 years, I have been a travel agent for more than 20 years. So I allow myself to make some suggestions for the Quebec portion of your trip. I confirm some good suggestions that you have made to you. Atterizing in Quebec (in the place of Montreal) is a very, very good idea. The city is very beautiful, very clean and the people very friendly. Then with a car take the road 138 (north bank of the St Laurent river) in the direction of the very beautiful region of Charlevoix via Baie St Paul, La Malbaie then Tadoussac at the mouth of the Fiord du Saguenay. Attention Ferry Obligion of approximately 15 minutes to arrive in Tadoussac (no need for booking). This region is spendid and you can see a lot of whales and Belougas Whales in the mouth of the river. Subsequently continue on Route 138 to Baie-Comeau and take the ferry that crosses on the southern bank of the St-Laurent River in Matane. Continue east via route 132 towards the Gaspésie to Gaspé and pierced (and its famous rock). You then leave the east of Quebec by bypassing the Gaspé peninsula, still by router 132 to the limits of the neighboring province Le New Brunswick. Via route 11, many interests await you in this province and will take you to Nova Scotia, as suggested by other people to finish with the Northeast States of the USA to Boston for Take your return flight. Good preparation and happy holidays! Jacques NB: Excuse me for my poor English

A few suggestions

As I am from Ottawa, I happen to think it is a great place to start. It is sometimes part of a Great Loop tour at the head of the Rideau Canal where it meets the Ottawa River. National Gallery and museums are very good. Montreal is great, galleries, food are fantastic. Quebec City is a must. Make sure you drive through the Charlevoix region on your way to the Saguenay Fiord. Beautiful and great food. Maybe a little whale watching along the way. Cross over the St. Laurence and head for PEI, then down to Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail, down to Halifax/Peggy's Cove and then head for the ferry to Maine. Eat as much seafood as you can! Swing back through southern Maine and maybe a night in one of the Inns in Manchester Vermont, I love the Equinox Hotel. Up to Burlington hitting lots of picturesque Vermont towns and then back to Montreal or Ottawa for a flight home. Any of these spots is worth stopping for a few days. You may find you want to come back for an extended stay at many of them.

Ferry from NS to Bar Harbor is $400 but discounts available on the CAT ferry website.
Acadia should be sane in Early Oct but reservations may still be in place for Cadillac Mtn on weekends. Schoodic Point is far better than Acadia. No traffic at all. (actually nothing at all but trees and ocean)

Trip to Monhegan Island is a fun trip if the weather holds. It will be chilly, esp at night.

Day trip to Eagle Island from Portland (actually Freeport) is a nice trip but Admiral Peary's house is closed this year. Still a nice ride through Casco Islands.

Day trip to Star Island from Portsmouth can be fun. Check Isles Of Shoals Steamship Co for Oct schedule.

Agree that Farhnams in Essex is far better than Woodman's. Woodman's is an assembly line, but everyone goes there. It lives on past reputation. There are no Essex clams anymore. Clam beds were polluted long time ago. Clams are all Canadian no matter where you go.

Tour of Boston Harbor is far better than the zoo at Faneuil Hall, even in Oct.

Don't forget your covid card or you won't get through border. Canada makes it easy.
https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan.html

Last edited:
Cocktails on the lawn at the Inn at Castle Hill overlooking the entrance to Newport harbor are a go to for first time visitors

Where to go in the Northeast

My wife and I spent some time in Quebec a couple of years ago, and loved Quebec City. We stayed at a hotel called Le Germain in the old town, which we loved; very nice rooms, great staff, and really good breakfast buffets, plus easy to walk almost everywhere. East of Quebec is Montmorency Falls, which we enjoyed, and which has a zip-line ride over the falls, which we didn't do, but a lot of people enjoyed it. The old town of Quebec has some great restaurants, generally an easy walk from that hotel.
We did find that it gets cold earlier in the Fall than we expected, and stays cold later in the Spring,, and there was also less daylight than we were used to.
If you wanted to do less driving, there are some cruises that leave QC up the St. Lawrence and wind up down the coast in New England, some to Portland, some to Boston. Never taken it, but it would eliminate problems with one-way cross-border rentals.

Should be a great trip whatever you wind up deciding.

Agree that Farhnams in Essex is far better than Woodman's. Woodman's is an assembly line, but everyone goes there. It lives on past reputation. There are no Essex clams anymore. Clam beds were polluted long time ago. Clams are all Canadian no matter where you go.

If that's the case, why go to either? You can get great fried clams anywhere in New England if you look.

If that's the case, why go to either? You can get great fried clams anywhere in New England if you look.

I no longer eat fried food, but family owned a restaurant & clam shop in Essex many years ago and I lived near Essex for decades. The Clam Box, Woodman's, and Farnhams all serve clams. Woodmans is the high volume place.

CORRECTION: Most of the clam beds around Essex and Ipswich are now open. They may close for several days after heavy rain due to sewer plant overflows and during periods of red tide. Wasn't long ago that all clams had to be transported to the Plum Island Purification Plant.

I now stick with steamers or lobster rolls

Thanks. I don't eat much fried food, but will make an exception once in a while if it's clams, oysters, fish, etc.

Steamers are ok, but not my favorite. Lobser rolls only if hot. Mayo has no place in a lobster roll. Best lobster roll I've found in new england is at Lobster Landing in Clinton, CT.

https://www.ctvisit.com/listings/lobster-landing

I'd check the car rental thing first. I have tried to rent Seattle to Victoria or Vancouver and nobody would do a cross boarder rental. I don't know if it's always like that, or if that's a post-covid thing. Car rentals have also become VERY expensive. Anyway, the rental thing may suggest an all-Canada or all-US trip.

It's a hike to get out to the more interesting coastal parts of NS with only a single connection back to the mainland up at the more northern end.

There used to be a ferry from Yarmouth at the S end of NS over to Bar Harbor, ME or thereabouts. If the car rental works and the ferry takes cars, that could be a really good way to tour NS and not have to do a ton of backtracking. Don't underestimate the distances - it's a log way. You might also be able to turn in one car in Yarmouth, and pick up another in Maine to avoid taking a car across the boarder. Any you wouldn't need a car ferry either.

If all-Canada, Quebec City, Montreal, Ottawa, Kingston could make for a good trip. If all-US, then upstate NY, Vermont, and New Hampshire are all great that time of year.

You are correct. Rental cars are a problem. I could not do a one way rental out of Quebec City. So now we are flying into Bangor, driving to Quebec then Cape Breton, Halifax, etc. We may take the ferry from Yarmouth to Bar Harbor but $440 is going to hurt but backtracking is no fun either. Flying out of Boston for home after three weeks of touring. I know we could spend more time but we want to see all we can see. I'm just now going back and reviewing input from others here. Thank you all for your input and encouragement.

Thanks. I don't eat much fried food, but will make an exception once in a while if it's clams, oysters, fish, etc.

Steamers are ok, but not my favorite. Lobser rolls only if hot. Mayo has no place in a lobster roll. Best lobster roll I've found in new england is at Lobster Landing in Clinton, CT.

https://www.ctvisit.com/listings/lobster-landing

I agree with you about Lobster Landing. Thanks for that tip some time ago.

I do keep hunting for a better one. The thrill of the hunt.

And agree about mayo in a lobster roll. I will say I have found ONE (and only one) potential exception to that rule. Not better than no-mayo, but good enough one can say its "possible" to make a good one with it.

On Cape Cod.

http://https://www.braxrestaurant.com/home

Back
Top Bottom