where to move ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank’s Lou,
I suspected as much.
It’s been a long time.
Last time I went up to immigration & customs I had no paperwork. They said they had no record of me. That was several years ago. But several months ago I found everything.
But I did think it had been too long ago. As recently as 12 yrs ago I went to customs and the lady said after a long pause “as far as we are concerned you haven’t left”.
Always felt like I had one food in Canada. First went to Vancouver in 1949. Drank GingerAle out of ceramic “bottles” on a charter boat ride in Coal Harbour.

But for real I’d just like to spend time with our visits. Perhaps that's the answer is to just spend time “up north”. haha we have a little motor home now.
Don't worry you will always be welcomed up here (even in Quebec as it was stated in a previous post).

L

OMG Tom,
WAY tooo many people.
Not to mention $$$
Remember where we met? ... Thorne Bay.
That’s the other extreme.

Thank you Lou.
Would be fun to see your boat and especially her engine.

koliver,
Most likely

Florida gets hit by six or eight hurricanes every year. I’d avoid it.

After living on both coasts, Virginia to Florida and the West coast from LA to Alaska..

If I were working from the boat, other than commercial fishing, I would definitely pick the East coast. Internet and services everywhere. I would plan to move up and down the coast with the weather. Winter in Florida and summer up North. Others doing the same will give all the suggestions for a lifetime.

If I were retired and living aboard, it would be the West coast. With more time being retired, there is more time to explore. So much beauty and thousands of miles of shoreline if you count all the mainland, islands and fords that very few humans ever see. The Pacific Northwest has amazing sights that are majestic beyond explanation.
Although, many large areas are not connected to the outside world.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fa/fd/62/fafd629297c6b18816a4f070653555bf.jpg

Last edited:
Florida negatives — bugs, humidity, hot salt water fast growing bottom fouling, Department of Revenue stalking your boat for sales tax, higher than average fuel prices, brutal sun damage to boat exterior, sea food restricted to shrimp and tilapia (goldfish).
Pluses — semi tropical rain forrest, red tide beaches, blind mosquitoes and menus featuring fried mullet and shrimp and grits and sweet tea only.

Let's assume I have a job that allows me to work remotely as long as I have decent Internet. Let's also assume I plan to live aboard. Given the entire west coast, east coast, and gulf coast, where would you move ? I worry about hurricanes and winter. Flordia seems like a good choice. West coast seems near impossible to find live aboard. Thoughts from the experts out there?

Seems to me that the question isn’t where to move but rather where to move next.

pretty much every place has a list of negatives and positives......just have to match up what fits you.

I live on a boat to go where I want....I usually move along whenever the locals start bitching where they live stinks.

Have lived/boated in San Diego, Vallejo, up the Potomac in Dahlgren, Va Beach and now Florida. Moved here 30 years ago. Still get a kick out of being on the water in January. Observation: all of the bashing I read here was against Florida by none Floridians. Sour grapes per chance? Anyhow, Florida suits my style.

:iagree: 40 year Florida resident. East and West coasts, love the redneck rivera.

Last edited:
And no chance of derelicts or disintegrating float homes bothering your views.

Well, Tom... a couple of weeks ago, while Retreat was off the mooring bouy, along came a small sailboat, at dusk. Tied to our bouy, stayed the night. In the AM, there was a dinghy on the beach, bottom up, showing a layer of mussels that had to be at least a year old. Stayed another night, then all gone at sunrise. From the look of the boat and the occupants, the boat was older than the occupants, no money had been spent on appearances for a very long time, though they did have fuel for the small outboard.

A few years ago a 20' x 50' piece of disintegrating dock arrived while we were away in the winter and stayed a year or two. It took a pretty aggressive storm to remove it, but it did go.

The rest of the time, you are correct. The view often includes otters and other wildlife, many passing boats, all good. A small piece of dryer, warmer climate, calm most of the time.

We consider ourselves very lucky to have chosen this particular place. It has turned out well, so thanks for the reminder.

Reading the results of the survey and the chatter about FL, I wondered where would Travis McGee be, in a techno 2020 world.

Otherwise…
I'd pick the PNW somewhere, further north being better up to a point.
I'd be wandering somewhere between Cape Caution in BC to the top end of S.E. Alaska.

…I find it interesting, given the collective hair color on here, internet seems to be more important than medical services. Especially in relation to the BC coast.

It would need to be on the coast and in BC.
I love Sointula but I’ve done the small town gig for the last time in Alaska.
And basically there’s too many people most everywhere else.

Nomad Willy, with your preference for small and few people, if you converted the annual snowfall of Concrete, to rain, a saltchuck Concrete with half the population, would be Sayward.

The only negatives I see are, the doctor swings by twice a month and having such a small number of tightknit residents, gossip is tenfold

HaHa soin2la,
Loved Mitchel Bay and the road. We were there for a coupl’a days .. poured rain most of the time. Was there in the 70’s also and saw lawnmowers w four hp. Many cute old style housed ect. Now I like the store, harbour and the burger place at the ferry landing. Seemed to have recently changed hands. We camped in our tent at the campground across the island.

Concrete has little snowfall.
Sayward is too small and such a decaying community. Neat and tidy though. I stayed there in the 70’s one night when the PR ferry landed there on my way to a teaching job at Masset. Another small community but I got on well there. I remember one of my HS students .. Arnie Bellis. But re Sayward I’ve lived in communities where I WAS the doctor.

Last edited:
…I find it interesting, given the collective hair color on here, internet seems to be more important than medical services. Especially in relation to the BC coast.

Maybe it's because those people were trying to answer the OP's question, which highlighted the need for regular/good internet for work.

(That's why I wouldn't have mentioned the BC coast, even though it's a place I personally like.)

Last edited:
Have lived/boated in San Diego, Vallejo, up the Potomac in Dahlgren, Va Beach and now Florida. Moved here 30 years ago. Still get a kick out of being on the water in January. Observation: all of the bashing I read here was against Florida by none Floridians. Sour grapes per chance? Anyhow, Florida suits my style.

Shut up! You’re going to ruin it! Let them bash.

Shut up! You’re going to ruin it! Let them bash.

I think your hurricane forecast would scare them away...especially with this year having so many named storms....:hello:

Stay away from Fl. You won’t like it here.

I can’t imagine living in Florida.
But those living in Fl probably couldn’t imagine throwing away their bathing suits and moving up here.
The more I think about moving the more I think I’ll stay here.
Anybody want some pears? Our pear tree is raining pears.

Oh, one potential fly-in-ointment: Internet access at marina's is rarely adequate for business-level work. If your work requires Zoom calls (or even voice-over-internet), you will be frustrated.

Had my first Zoom board meeting this Aug. in Petersburg, AK using our marina Wi-Fi. No problem. We watch Netflix and stuff from our Xfinity recordings all the time at our slip. Not a hiccup.

Tator

Let's assume I have a job that allows me to work remotely as long as I have decent Internet. Let's also assume I plan to live aboard. Given the entire west coast, east coast, and gulf coast, where would you move ? I worry about hurricanes and winter. Flordia seems like a good choice. West coast seems near impossible to find live aboard. Thoughts from the experts out there?

On the east coast, if I were trying to avoid hurricanes and winter, I would probably select Norfolk, VA. As the southernmost point of the Chesapeake, winters would be cold, but tolerable. Also, very little risk of hurricanes, and they seldom travel further north than North Carolina.

Jim

I think your hurricane forecast would scare them away...especially with this year having so many named storms....:hello:

Wifey B: That's what Parks is trying to do and we're not going to tell them that not a single one of those storms has come near Miami or Fort Lauderdale. :lol:

Wifey B: That's what Parks is trying to do and we're not going to tell them that not a single one of those storms has come near Miami or Fort Lauderdale. :lol:

Wifey B, Shhhh, you’re going to blow it.

Wifey B, Shhhh, you’re going to blow it.

I knew she couldnt resist...very predictable.....like casting live shrimp.....:D

But I was hoping to keep it an inside joke for Floridians......:thumb:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom