Will the Titanic claim a few more?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My guess would be entanglement. If they ditched ballast and were bobbing along on the surface, an epirpb would have been sent. I suspect since they have done this trip many times, implosion isn't very likely. After 7 hours w/o communication I would think the chances of a positive outcome are very slim.

The rower missing in the Pacific was a decent story to follow and I'm sure most wanted a happy ending, which they got.

This crowd, I have no feelings for, at all.
https://news.sky.com/story/commerci...near-titanic-wreck-in-atlantic-ocean-12905471

NY Times online is providing stream of updates. This is from 5pm EDT:

(USCG Admiral)
Mauger said that the United States has deployed two C130 aircraft, with an additional on the way from the New York National Guard, and that the Canadians have sent a C130 and a P8 submarine search aircraft. “On the surface we have the commercial operator that’s been on site, and we’re bringing additional surface assets into play,” he said, adding that they will provide some “subsurface” search ability.
June 19, 2023, 4:46 p.m. ET

After looking for the tiny white row boat in the vast white capped ocean for days on end I can only say, please no more white boats. :facepalm:

Attachments

• IMG_8434.jpg
    IMG_8434.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 68
The problem with chasing extreme goals is that if things go bad, the number of people who can help you is very limited. I am not sure the original intention of the USCG was to bail out thrill seekers and extremists.

The problem with chasing extreme goals is that if things go bad, the number of people who can help you is very limited. I am not sure the original intention of the USCG was to bail out thrill seekers and extremists.

So far, four Herks and a 737. No indication of personnel committed. This isn't gonna be cheap.:facepalm:

The USCGs original intention was stopping smugglers....back in tbe 1700's.

After that, the USCG just does what it is told to do and while I loved all missions, I know me and most of the guys loved saving lives...didnt matter who or how or why. Give the mission and the USCG will figure out how to git'er done.

People have to stop worrying about the money with respect to rescues. USCG aviation is fully funded to cover most SAR and when stretched it asks for more to cover big searches or disasters, but it's a lot cheaper than one thinks as most costs are already covered/fixed.

Last edited:
So far, four Herks and a 737. No indication of personnel committed. This isn't gonna be cheap.:facepalm:

There is a billionaire on board, is that all they are sending? In this case charging back the costs should not be a problem in collecting.

The imploding comment however seems like a probable answer.

The USCG only charges for false distress calls/searches and certain other type issues.....all on a case by case basis.

Unless something is really different that I haven't picked up on since I retired...the USCG doesn't charge for regular rescues.....other countries I can't speak for.

There is a billionaire on board, is that all they are sending? In this case charging back the costs should not be a problem in collecting.

From his estate? Think: "billable hours. :socool:"

Last edited:
I keep reading reports that it was 1.75 hours into its decent when contact was lost. This is a totally useless piece of information unless you know how long a normal decent takes, and none of the reports seem to include that.

I must be sometwisted somebitch to be laughing at thisshit.

"I got down 37 feet." Godhep me.

OKay, the 37 foot "adventure" brought a smile, but I found it pretty informative, especially the interiors.
...and the idea that finding it may be the least of their problems.

Last edited:
I didn't get that sense of it, found it pretty informative, especially the interiors.

Oh I found it informative, I still think the whole adventure is a head scratcher, especially now having watched the Rube Goldberg version.

Besides, I think that old girl and the 1,200 lost souls should just be left alone. Bonafide research, fine, entitled tourism, uh uh.

My guess would be entanglement. If they ditched ballast and were bobbing along on the surface, an epirpb would have been sent. I suspect since they have done this trip many times, implosion isn't very likely. After 7 hours w/o communication I would think the chances of a positive outcome are very slim.

Entanglement does not tie in with loss of communications . . . nor does floating on the surface . . .

The typical descent was said to take about 2 hours, so they must have been close to full depth.

Assets being mobilised will, presumably, be unmanned underwater vehicles - ROVs (remote operated vehicle - attached to a cable from the surface) or AUVs (autonomous underwater vehicles - no cable). An ROV could help with entanglement, but the AUV would only bring back video.

Last edited:
The USCGs original intention was stopping smugglers....back in tbe 1700's.

After that, the USCG just does what it is told to do and while I loved all missions, I know me and most of the guys loved saving lives...didnt matter who or how or why. Give the mission and the USCG will figure out how to git'er done.

People have to stop worrying about the money with respect to rescues. USCG aviation is fully funded to cover most SAR and when stretched it asks for more to cover big searches or disasters, but it's a lot cheaper than one thinks as most costs are already covered/fixed.

And it is good practice/training for USCG personnel

I keep reading reports that it was 1.75 hours into its decent when contact was lost. This is a totally useless piece of information unless you know how long a normal decent takes, and none of the reports seem to include that.
G captain article has the decent taking 2 hours.

Apparently the occupants of the sub would be unable to open the main hatch as it is bolted on from the outside by 17 fasteners
Loss of communication on decent would lead me to believe a breach of the hull.

Interesting comment in the video: There are two types of people. Many say you couldn't pay me a quarter-million to go down in that thing. Others would jump at the chance.

I'm afraid I'd have to put myself in that second group. I would accept the risks, as I'm sure those five did. So as tragic as it's starting to appear, we can take some comfort in knowing it was at least an informed decision. I have no animosity toward them just because they're wealthy enough to do this.

That said, I assumed the risks were a bit lower than it would now appear. I've read about deep-diving submarines since I was a kid. Always fascinated me. I know all about the dangers. I know all about how things can fail under that kind of pressure. But there have been lots of these things built, and lots of people have gone to these depths in them. It would seem they had a pretty good track record. Until now.

Interesting comment in the video: There are two types of people. Many say you couldn't pay me a quarter-million to go down in that thing. Others would jump at the chance.

I'm afraid I'd have to put myself in that second group. I would accept the risks, as I'm sure those five did. So as tragic as it's starting to appear, we can take some comfort in knowing it was at least an informed decision. I have no animosity toward them just because they're wealthy enough to do this.

That said, I assumed the risks were a bit lower than it would now appear. I've read about deep-diving submarines since I was a kid. Always fascinated me. I know all about the dangers. I know all about how things can fail under that kind of pressure. But there have been lots of these things built, and lots of people have gone to these depths in them. It would seem they had a pretty good track record. Until now.

Captain,

In the other thread regarding the rower who went missing you had various criticisms of ocean rowers and the costs required to rescue them. Your last post saying they are more concerned with their GoPro cameras than lifesaving equipment which is flat out false but makes for a good sound bite.

But now you are saying you would jump in a privately built and maintained sub and pursue an adventure to see the Titanic which now has an all out search going on using resources.

Personally, I think these wrecks should be left alone but I dont get caught up with the costs to search for them. That’s what we do.

Apparently the occupants of the sub would be unable to open the main hatch as it is bolted on from the outside by 17 fasteners

As regards opening/closing the hatch, once the sub is submerged a few feet down the clamping effect of the external water pressure far exceeds the 17 bolts which just hold the hatch in place until that point.

The hatch on this sub is on the front, which would still be underwater when the sub is on the surface. To exit, the sub is lifted out of the water after surfacing.

To allow exit from the floating sub would require a top hatch inside a type of vertical trunk (similar to the "conning tower" of military submarines) which would extend above the splash height of the waves.

So in regards to the hatch needing to be opened from the outside......does this mean if they were fortunate enough to have made it to the surface intact and alive, they would still suffocate if not found in 96 hours ?

Back
Top Bottom