Winterizing Anchor / Cockpit Washdowns?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Papas

Vessel Name
Rhapsody
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 46 Classic
My GB46 CL, has both Sea/Freshwater anchor washdowns and H/C FW Cockpit shower / washdowns. Given the associated lines and fittings are exposed (either via anchor locker, or aft lazarette) and there are not isolation values/drains - I'm curious how others have approached winterizing just this portion of the FW system (the Seawater system is a bit easier for me to drain/isolate).

I suspect I'll end up installing additional drain / isolation fittings, so I can continue to utilize the pressurized FW side for interior usage while not worrying about these more exposed portions of the system.

I'd love to hear how others have approached, when seeking to winterize these exposed portions of the overall system.

Last edited:
The cockpit and anchor washdown lines can be T'd with a drain and valve to isolate them from the water lines inside the boat. I did it this way on another boat. I don't use my current boat during the winter so I blow out all the water lines with compressed air to winterize. Probably overkill in the PNW but it's easy and bulletproof freeze protection.

Thank for sharing Ken!

I have the same concerns with respect to the anchor and cockpit shower and also use my boat all year long, so I don't load up the fresh water system with cheap vodka.

My boat does live in a house therefore windchill is not a major factor, so I just run a 100 watt incandescent light bulb in a simple fixture mounted inside an open both ends Folgers coffee can. Place one in the anchor locker and one in the Laz. right under the cockpit shower fixture and for over 15 years while at rest, no problems.

I've had no issues with brief (6+/- hour) power outages.

Underway and at least for the overnight, the Laz. is heated by the residual heat from the ER, while I keep the anchor locker bulb lit.

Perhaps I've been lucky, which I can only attribute to the fact that I gave the coffee away, just to get the cans.

Being in Alaska I am big on T's with a blind cap to completely drain the water from lines at the low point.

Our boat is in the PNW, stored indoors offseason but I still go through the hassle of draining all the F/W system. I've installed tees with caps on the leg of the tee to facilitate using compressed air to blow out all the lines. It's a pain in the butt to do the work but the tees have made the process a lot quicker. I also have two small thermostat controlled heaters set at the lowest setting to prevent getting below freezing.

Back
Top Bottom