Wiring Run

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nveater

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Pathfinder
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 30
I have a 1999 Mainship Pilot 30 and I am installing a new battery charger which comes with a status monitor that I would like to put in the cabin perhaps under the radio or somewhere in that vicinity. I know how to get the wire from the battery charger into the cabin area but don't know how to access behind the area in the cabin (see picture). Would appreciate any ideas or thoughts.

Thanks

I am adding a new battery charger to my 1999 Mainship Pilot 30 and it comes with a monitor to check status and operate the charger. I would like to put this monitor in the cabin perhaps near the radio (or in that vicinity). I was wondering how to access the area behind the radio or that area. Any ideas ?

Thanks

Attachments

• Panel.jpg
    Panel.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 41
hi,

we have a 34 not a 30 so i can't give any real advice. that said, barring any 30 owners jumping in, i would start by taking the radio out and seeing where the wires go. on the 34 there is a cavity between the wall in the cockpit and the wall in the cabin. this is where all wires come from.

I do not know your boat, in general from only that picture I would unscrew that breaker panel and tilt it away. You will need to do that to pass the wire along to the final point anyway. If that area is above an accessible area below, look there for wires heading up to the breaker panel. keep going like that until you find a route to run wire. BTW if you need to use a fish tape to pull wire, attach and leave a string inthat route for future addons.

SteveK makes a good point about about pull strings that reminded me...
Our 2008 MS 34HT has a number of pull strings left in strategic locations.
There is likely some sort of chamber behind the elec panel that directs all the wiring to distribution/ collection point(s). I'm guessing that behind that area could be the engine room which would be a place to look for wire bundles and possibly pull strings.
Follow the large main / batty cables.

wiring

a very inexpensive gizmo I use, around $ 30 in Amazon

NIDAGE Wireless Endoscope for Automotive Inspection Semi-Rigid Flexible Waterproof 5.5MM WiFi Borescope Camera Compatible Android and iOS Smartphones, iPhone, iPad (4.92FT)

Just remove the radio and/or the panel as suggested and manipulate the endoscope.

Use your cell phone as the screen

I think the electrical panel it is- I was hoping there was some magic door that I hadn't found yet. I wanted to go in thought the radio however it appears that the PO not only screwed the wooden surround to the bulkhead he/she also glued it

Fishing tape is the only way I can run wires around a boat. Take it in smaller, logical steps. I'd remove the stereo temporarily, to gain access to behind that wall. Then run a fishing tape from behind the stereo, down into the bilge or engine compartment. Once the fishing tape is down there, I affixed the wires and a pull string and pull it all up.

If you can get the wire to that spot, then I would check behind and drill the mounting hole. Run the new wires through the mounting hole. Then install the monitor. Install the stereo last because that hole will be used to gain access while installation is going on.

Back
Top Bottom