Yanmar 370 Alternator upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seevee
What I have found out is that the multi battery isolator has a drop of over .62 volts. I have a different one coming which has voltage drop of 0.02 to 0.1 volts. With that over half volt gain should put me in a good shape. We have a single Yanmar, no inverter, plan on anchoring out often but to travel daily on our loop journey. I’ve changed all dc lighting to LED. The biggest user will be the refrigerator while traveling. Going to travel on some cool mornings so Running the Generator to keep main cabin warm . Grateful to those that have commented.
Jerry

Seevee
What I have found out is that the multi battery isolator has a drop of over .62 volts. I have a different one coming which has voltage drop of 0.02 to 0.1 volts. With that over half volt gain should put me in a good shape. We have a single Yanmar, no inverter, plan on anchoring out often but to travel daily on our loop journey. I’ve changed all dc lighting to LED. The biggest user will be the refrigerator while traveling. Going to travel on some cool mornings so Running the Generator to keep main cabin warm . Grateful to those that have commented.
Jerry

Kick,

the .62v is insignificant, with a good alternator. I don't like isolators and would prefer an ACR or a 12v to 12v charger to charge the second or third bank. You have 3 battery battery banks? what to they serve? With a single I could argue strongly for a start and house only.

For anchoring out, there's a HUGE argument for an inverter. Provide power to any 120v appliance. But question: What voltage does your fridge, micro, computer, TV, run off of? If there's some 120v stuff, the inverter is nice. We used it to run our crock pot while under way... minimal draw and a great hot meal when we anchored.

Unrelated question: Where are you on your loop trip and what's your boat name? On Nebo? I'll watch for you when you come thru the Tampa/St. Petersburg area and hopefully connect. I'm on the ICW, marker 16 in Maderia Beach.

Seevee
1) 8D AGM, 3) 8D AGM house. and bow and stern Thruster AGMs. Range is LP, we use IPad for our TV with unlimited data,
Still in Michigan won't leave till Oct. We will use NEBO as Kickback. This MS is a month old to us and I just trying to help with the voltage loss.
Jerry

Kickback,

For SURE, you'll want an alternator with an external regulator. If not, your AGMs will overcharge.

And, again, I could argue strongly to get a good marine electrician for help. When you're on the loop is a lousy time to fix things and can be difficult.

Kickback,

For SURE, you'll want an alternator with an external regulator. If not, your AGMs will overcharge.

And, again, I could argue strongly to get a good marine electrician for help. When you're on the loop is a lousy time to fix things and can be difficult.
I wondered / debated need to change to externally regulated alt when I installed 3 8Ds in my MS in 2014. Currently finishing our 10th season with these using the stock Yanmar / Hitachi internally regulated alt.
The house bank shows a little more capacity loss than my thruster/ start 8D.
I thought the bigger problem is under charging but I'm on shore charger often and normally never exceed weekly to fully charge.
I'm pretty happy with longevity of my AGMs with stock alt and they last 6 mos over winter without ability to charge.

Don,

You've done exceptionally well. Perhaps your alternators aren't putting out very high charging voltage.

I've gone thru the unregulated alternators killing AGM batteries, so I replaced with Lifeline AGMs and regulated alternators with excellent luck.
The AGM battery manufacturers say you should have a regulated alternator.

Don, do you have a regulated source for charging on house or generator?

Don,

You've done exceptionally well. Perhaps your alternators aren't putting out very high charging voltage.

I've gone thru the unregulated alternators killing AGM batteries, so I replaced with Lifeline AGMs and regulated alternators with excellent luck.
The AGM battery manufacturers say you should have a regulated alternator.

Don, do you have a regulated source for charging on house or generator?
Larry
House and Start / thruster banks charged by internally regulated Alt via Sterling CVSR when cruising and shore charger when ashore ( most of the time & periodically when cruising)
I like my AGMs and feel comfortable having had 10 seasons with good performance. Granted we only cruise for a month at a time and 1-1/2 mos max in 2019. I'm more than satisfied, especially since switching start to thruster bank & adding Balmar monitor. I've had tentative plan for housevreplacement for a few years but so far not necessary.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom