MMSI and PPO rant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Pacific Myst
Vessel Make
West Bay 4500
We bought a boat November 2023 with the MMSI account linked to the PPO, previous to previous owner. Attempts to reach out to the owner of the account to cancel it so we can get the MMSI # assigned to us have resulted in crickets. It seems the only option is to apply for a new MMSI # and pay techs to change the # on all of the equipment.

I know, I know, a familiar problem. I'm not the first.

Buyers, be sure you get the MMSI change over when you purchase.
Sellers, please cancel the account. There is no reason for you to hang onto it.

What to do when Selling or Disposing of your Radio or Radio-equipped Vessel

For many devices, there are programs which allow end users outside of the US to change the MMSI number in a specific manufacturer's devices. Of course I wouldn't recommend breaking US law or anything, but I've heard these programs can sometimes be downloaded from non-US sites.

For many devices, there are programs which allow end users outside of the US to change the MMSI number in a specific manufacturer's devices. Of course I wouldn't recommend breaking US law or anything, but I've heard these programs can sometimes be downloaded from non-US sites.
Yes I'm aware of that. The rub it should not be necessary to file for a new MMSI and change the settings in the hardware. DIY or by paid tech. The MMSI is not personal property. It belongs to the boat / equipment.

This is a really good thing to put in a purchase contract. Seller needs to sign over MMSI, buyer needs to change the registered info, and also needs to change the boat name in the AIS programming. I sold a boat in 2011 and it's been through several owners since then. To this day it's still broadcasting that it's "Tanglewood"

The same is true for navigation software licenses. Are they transferable, and is the seller transferring them or retaining them?

Also EPIRBs.

This is a really good thing to put in a purchase contract. Seller needs to sign over MMSI, buyer needs to change the registered info, and also needs to change the boat name in the AIS programming. I sold a boat in 2011 and it's been through several owners since then. To this day it's still broadcasting that it's "Tanglewood"

The same is true for navigation software licenses. Are they transferable, and is the seller transferring them or retaining them?

Also EPIRBs.
Agreed. If I buy another boat I will include those in the purchase agreement. When I sell this boat I will handle things properly on my end.

I ,just yesterday, finally got the FCC ships license cancelled for the Albin we just sold. The FCC could strive to make navigating through their menus a little easier...the language is structured in a typical government fashion which isn't the easiest to decipher and figure out which of the many forms they have is needed to cancel the license. (fcc.gov/uls and then to "forms" , where you sign in and pick the license that needs modifying). In the FCC's defense, once I got to where I needed to be, I was able to do everything electronically online ,including renewing my amateur radio license , which expired last month! Thank goodness for grace periods, which I'm also taking advantage of for my USCG MM licence, which expired last month ,too! Gee wiz.

I ,just yesterday, finally got the FCC ships license cancelled for the Albin we just sold. The FCC could strive to make navigating through their menus a little easier...the language is structured in a typical government fashion which isn't the easiest to decipher and figure out which of the many forms they have is needed to cancel the license. (fcc.gov/uls and then to "forms" , where you sign in and pick the license that needs modifying). In the FCC's defense, once I got to where I needed to be, I was able to do everything electronically online ,including renewing my amateur radio license , which expired last month! Thank goodness for grace periods, which I'm also taking advantage of for my USCG MM licence, which expired last month ,too! Gee wiz.
Yes, govt web sites are terrible. On a good day. I'm going to have to dig into the FCC site and get a new MMSI then dig into reprogramming all the gear on the boat that use the MMSI.

I guess I buy old boats. I end up replacing most of the electronics anyway, including radios, anyway.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom