1985 Ocean Alexander

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only thing better than owning a boat is having your best friend own the boat, they always need someone to hang out with and You ride for free! All kidding aside spend lotsa time looking at the tanks and motors and decks (those are the deal breakers) , most everything else becomes a somewhat moot point. Go in knowing everything is dated and new owners like new electronics , new A/C , new lotsa stuff. Also know it just may be getting significantly more expensive to get insurance. Anytime you buy a used boat you are buying what is left....Good Luck

On the engines,not a criticism,but intended to add some detail on what you would be getting. The advt says they are 185hp turbo Lehmans. My recollection is they were designated as SP225 hp, and some owners, including Comodave who has posted here, successfully de-rated them to 185hp, which included dispensing with(? bypassing) the aftercoolers. Power remains adequate, maintaining aftercoolers no longer required.

My last boat had Lehman 120s, reliable and simple, sounding so good at 2400 hours I could sit and listen to them, when I sold. i have no direct knowledge of the SP225, hopefully someone with more knowledge will contribute.

Last edited:
I think the idea of “straight lining” an average annual maintenance budget is way wrong.

Based in the suggestions above, come up with a specific budget for each of the first couple years of ownership. Each boat is different.

Take a look at YouTube for people who have done this. In Too Deep and Expedition Evans are particularly good.

Regarding mid 80’s OA and tank material … the boat I’m pursuing is listed as having aluminum fuel tanks … regardless of material perhaps 38 year old tanks are mostly ready to spoil … anybody have opinions / knowledge on this topic ?

Regarding mid 80’s OA and tank material … the boat I’m pursuing is listed as having aluminum fuel tanks … regardless of material perhaps 38 year old tanks are mostly ready to spoil … anybody have opinions / knowledge on this topic ?

I pulled my main tank on my Ocean 54 last year to gain access for another project. The tank was original and made of aluminum. There was absolutely no corrosion issues with the tank. That said, I can't be sure what was going on inside the tank. With my boat the tank fills are not exposed to the outside weather so the likely hood of water sitting in the bottom of my tank is very low. I am expecting another 25 years of service from my tanks.

Unfortunately major corrosion issues usually happen were it is impossible to inspect. Leaky fuel tanks is always a risk, usually a low risk but I have had it happen to me twice now.

What I look for is a reasonable path to removing and replacing a tank. On my first boat I had to remove the engine to remove the tank but everything came out the engine room hatches. On the second boat the tanks were midship. No engine removal required. Tank came up out of the floor hatch and went down the hall and out the back of the boat.

I passed once on a boat were the fuel tank had no exit other than to cut the fiberglass back deck off the boat, replace the tank and then reglass the deck. Some one else bought the boat for cheap and did exactly that.

I pulled my main tank on my Ocean 54 last year to gain access for another project. The tank was original and made of aluminum. There was absolutely no corrosion issues with the tank. That said, I can't be sure what was going on inside the tank. With my boat the tank fills are not exposed to the outside weather so the likely hood of water sitting in the bottom of my tank is very low. I am expecting another 25 years of service from my tanks.
Thats very helpful … appreciate you sharing. From what I’ve read there’s several factors involved with tank longevity regardless of metal and quality of alloy used … I’ve always tried to keep my tanks topped up to minimize condensation. Other posters on the interwebs indicate aluminum tanks can begin leaking at seams and steel ones with coatings can go bad too, like you indicated in your second post most likely impossible to inspect the tanks fully with many hidden spots. Great advice … think about difficulty in replacing and budget accordingly because it sounds like an eventuality for any vintage boat … I’ll keep the forum posted on what I find on this 1985 OA tri cabin … fingers crossed the tanks are elevated off the bilge for a start and that replacement wouldn’t involve cutting fiberglass , that would be a yikes for sure , cheers

I’m looking at a 43’ Ocean Alexander built in 1985. It has twin Lehmans with about 1000 hours. The asking is 80k. Am I crazy to consider a boat this old? Even assuming a decent survey, am I in for tremendous annual yard expenses? Thanks in advance for your input.

It's been over 90 days and looks like the boat is still listed.

I assume you did not move forward on this boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom