1997 Mainship 350 details

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

byron

Mooloolaba Marina, Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Aus
Vessel Name
No Regrets
Vessel Make
Sea Ray
Hello,

I missed out on a 34 and I am now looking at an older 1997 350 .

Is there a way to find any history on a boat using the HIN number MPT35027L697

The boat is 10hr drive and the owner doesn’t seem to know to much. For example he mentioned it has twin 170hp 4LR series Yanmars with 1,600 hrs on each but these engines seem newer than 1987.

The owner wants me to come and see the boat & answer all my question in person .

Attachments

• IMG_7756.jpg
    IMG_7756.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 18
I believe that there was an issue with the swim platform with that vintage 350s. I don’t think there is anything like carfacts for boats, but others may know of something.

We have a 1997 MS350 but with a single CAT. We have no issues with the swim step but is known to leak. The simple solution is to put some inspection holes in it and a small pump. Not a deal breaker. My buddy has the MS390, just a newer 350 with a single Yanmar.q600 hours is nothing on those engines. The only issue I see is with 2 engines there is not much access in the engine room. If it has a genset they are ijpossible to service due to lack of room. I use a Honda 2000 that works fine. If it dies, I just gonna buy another. Love the boat.

Thanks for the reply .

Yes 1 engine is my preference . Here in Australia not many Mainships come up for sale.

I will probably make the 10 hr drive in a few weeks time to see it for myself.

It has no genset or auto pilot. Where I live in qld auto pilot is really important to me as I do long stretches Eg 8 hours .

Genset is not as important , although in summer air con sure would be something special. Its get very hot here.

I’ve owned 8 boats and always said I would never have 2 engines again due to the maintenance and the fact I’m not handy.

Maybe it’s time I start to learn a few things about how to maintain engines .

Thanks for the reply .

Yes 1 engine is my preference . Here in Australia not many Mainships come up for sale.
I will probably make the 10 hr drive in a few weeks time to see it for myself....
I looked seriously at a 2012(?) Mainship 395 a few years back. Single 6cyl Yanmar, Kohler genset. ER a crawlspace, the genset had to be approached from either side for servicing.
I liked the boat,a lot, regrettably passed due to freshwater capacity of about 150/160L with a Vacuflush freshwater head. Tried but couldn`t find a place in the ER for extra tankage. Nice boat though.

Hi Byron, we are in Adelaide but owned a 2001 mainship 390 in the US over 2018-19 when we did the Great Loop ( fabulous trip btw). Happy to talk on the phone about mainships(or the Loop) if you like. Clive 0438100410

Hi
I believe the standard tankage is 150 gal on these models. We bought ours with out auto pilot or genset so plan on spending around 7 to 10 boat bucks on the A/P. There is plenty of room for the genset in the laz , mine is pre wired for it but just use a honda 2000 when needed. The only thing of concern to me is the low hrs on the engines at 25 years old. About 68 hrs per year!!!!
They are a great boat!!
Cheers J.T.

We have a 1997 MS350 but with a single CAT. We have no issues with the swim step but is known to leak. The simple solution is to put some inspection holes in it and a small pump. Not a deal breaker. My buddy has the MS390, just a newer 350 with a single Yanmar.q600 hours is nothing on those engines. The only issue I see is with 2 engines there is not much access in the engine room. If it has a genset they are ijpossible to service due to lack of room. I use a Honda 2000 that works fine. If it dies, I just gonna buy another. Love the boat.

I have a 1997/350 Twin Volvo diesels.
Those Yanmars might be replacements. Volvos and Cats where the options back in 1997 that I am aware of. Either way those are low hours and fine
There is more than enough room in the engine room for servicing. I do all my own. Im 5'10' and 210lbs and I fit just fine.
The gen set is under the cockpit floor not in the engine room. Two hatches give access to these.
The Hin number indicates it is a 97 mainship built in July of that year the 27th hull.

Last edited:
Twins in a MS 350 if rated at 170hp are Yanmar 4LHs. 200hp would be Volvos. My 99 350 has the upgraded horsepower 4lha-ste twins. 230 hp each. Fresh water tankage is 130gal US. Fuel 316 gals. Generators are serviceable if you do away with the sound shield. However , it is noisy. Swim platform does leak but has been a none issue in the 8yrs that I have owned the boat. Overall, a comfortable,roomy, accessible and easy to maintain boat. Very maneuverable with twins and no bow thruster.

There is a boat history website that can give some info, it's not complete but there's some details to be gained. I think it's only applicable to US based boats.

https://boathistoryreport.com/

Hi Byron, we are in Adelaide but owned a 2001 mainship 390 in the US over 2018-19 when we did the Great Loop ( fabulous trip btw). Happy to talk on the phone about mainships(or the Loop) if you like. Clive 0438100410

This kind of defeats the purpose of a forum. If you have anything useful or interesting to share, please feel free to share where everyone can benefit and contribute.

I believe the standard tankage is 150 gal on these models. We bought ours with out auto pilot or genset so plan on spending around 7 to 10 boat bucks on the A/P. There is plenty of room for the genset in the laz , mine is pre wired for it but just use a honda 2000 when needed.
Standard tankage is 150 gal water, 300gal+ a little on fuel. Most 350/390s are prewired for the genset as it is part of their standard wire loom. I disagree about plenty room for the genset, but it is immaterial. The genset and tanks were put in before the deck was laid on. There is no way to pull the tanks out or put a standard genset in unless you rip up the deck, IMHO not an option. I guess the right genset could be taken apart and installed in parts and there is room to get it in but almost impossible to maintain. No question the small Honda is the solution both for money and ease of use. Even if you gave me a new genset I wouldn't try to put it in instead of using the Honda.

Should be no problem getting a fully assembled diesel Genset thru the large lazarette hatch in the front of cockpit. You will lower it in and slide it into position. However, forget the sound shield enclosure. Limits access terribly. A "compact" generator would even be easier to fit in the space. I think northern lights makes one. Maybe other brands too. I believe the 97/98 MS 350 had Onan brand . My 99 has a Kohler 8000. Still working fine with 2300 hrs on it.

Back
Top Bottom