Volvo diesel question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NWpilot

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Yukon Jack
Vessel Make
30' Tollycraft sedan
I have a 1979 30' Tollycraft with twin Volvo TMD40A diesels and the temp gage on the port engine has quit working. I want to check for power to the unit but I cant seem to find the temp sending unit on the engine. I feel a bit silly about this as I've never had this problem with an engine before but would be grateful if someone could steer me in the right direction to finding it.

Thanks
Chas

So, you’re really stretching the grey cells asking about TMD40a engines......but here goes...

The TMD 40a was originally delivered with a rectangular plate type heat exchanger, and a plastic expansion bottle mounted directly to the rear of the HE on the side of the exhaust manifold. If memory serves me correctly the temp alarm switch and temp gauge sender were mounted in the underside of the exhaust manifold, more or less hidden behind the HE. Up behind the alternator.

Later on there was a program to replace the plate HE and expansion tank with a larger tube type HE that was used on the aftercooled TAMD 40 engine because it had much better real rejection capabilities. The larger heat exchanger tank had bosses cast into it to accept the senders, in which case the senders would be located right in the front, engine side of the HE tank. You couldn’t miss them.

But if the new HE was installed and the senders weren’t moved, they would still be found in the exhaust manifold.

In the event that I’m mistaken, the sender still has to be in that general area. The coolant flow in the engine came out of the front of the cylinder head into a casting that directed it down the inside of the exhaust manifold to the turbo, out of the turbo and up the outside of the exhaust manifold and into the HE casting.
The sender will be in the manifold or HE casting just before the thermostats.

Thanks Doug, I'll look for it and let you know where I found it.

Chas

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom