Cleaning Racor filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mambo42

Guru
Vessel Name
Endless Summer
Vessel Make
1979 Defever 49
I went about changing all the fuel filters in the racors and saw that the bottom part of the filter housing (the transparent part) is becoming a bit frosted. The housing is probably 10 - 15 years old, they function fine, but I would like to clean up the transparent part. Currently it is not that easy to see debris or water in the filter, I really have to get close and hold a light against it.
Of course I can buy complete new filter housings, but since I have 6 of them it is going to be a pricy undertaking, which I would like to avoid, especially since they do the job perfectly.
Is there anything that I can use to remove that frosty look ? (almost like cleaning head lights) On top of that, I will need to disassemble the whole housing, is it possible to find the O-rings or are they special order ?
Thanks

I put an LED behind my Racors in our last boat it made it easy to see what was in them. You could use a headlight polishing kit to clean them up. I got parts from racorstore.com.

Attachments

• IMG_0502.jpeg
    IMG_0502.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 22
The bowl is replaceable as a separate item. If you go online and search "Racor and the model number", you will find a schematic for each model with the associated part numbers. Then Google Racor and the part number. In addition to the bowl, I would get the seal to the housing and the seal to the drain assembly.

If you plan to clean the bowl, be cautious of what chemicals you use. I tried carburetor cleaner and had to replace the bowl on my charter boat separator. As a general rule of thumb, I only use diesel fuel as a cleaner with a soft rag.

Ted

If it's a Racor you can buy the bowl.

Attachments

• Racor Bowl Kit.JPG
    Racor Bowl Kit.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 8
I put an LED behind my Racors in our last boat it made it easy to see what was in them. You could use a headlight polishing kit to clean them up. I got parts from racorstore.com.
A light behind it is indeed a great idea. At the moment the background is dark, so that would definitely help. Thanks.

The bowl is replaceable as a separate item. If you go online and search "Racor and the model number", you will find a schematic for each model with the associated part numbers. Then Google Racor and the part number. In addition to the bowl, I would get the seal to the housing and the seal to the drain assembly.

If you plan to clean the bowl, be cautious of what chemicals you use. I tried carburetor cleaner and had to replace the bowl on my charter boat separator. As a general rule of thumb, I only use diesel fuel as a cleaner with a soft rag.

Ted
Will pass the info to my chandler in Corfu, maybe he can order it for me. Since we are continuously on the move I cannot order it myself, it would arrive when we are long gone again. We will see him again in a couple of weeks, so perhaps it can arrive by that time.
Thanks for the tips of trying to clean it, will forget about that now, cannot have it that I need to replace it, because I don't have a spare onboard at the moment, can't run the risk.

If it's a Racor you can buy the bowl.
Will see if I can order it via my chandler, so that it will be there when we arrive in a couple of weeks.

through the years I’ve just replaced them. My concern is not only hazing but think they get brittle. Can envision a crack causing an air leak or breaking altogether. So when hazy would replace. Same with the plastic tops of strainers.

A light behind it is indeed a great idea. At the moment the background is dark, so that would definitely help. Thanks.
I put the LEDs behind the Racors on the engine room light circuit so whenever I turned on the ER lights the Racors would light up yoo.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom