Decks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoid

Veteran Member
Oh boy. This should be interesting.

The most knowledgeable person I know says my 1988 GB32 does NOT have cored decks. This is contrary to the accepted wisdom, but remember when everyone thought blisters were life ending?

So, is there anyone who has actually seen the cross section of a late model (85-95) GB32 deck. I’ve read all the posts that parrot the common assumption. I’m looking for someone that has actually seen for themselves what the 32 has.

Trying to decide how to proceed with deck repair/replacement so no speculation please.

Thank you,

James

......so no speculation please.
Everyone on here is going to tell you that they are cored, just like everything you found on the internet says they are cored. But you seem inclined to believe your friend, so there is only one way you can remove speculation. Drill into the deck and check for yourself.

The most knowledgeable person I know says my 1988 GB32 does NOT have cored decks. This is contrary to the accepted wisdom, but remember when everyone thought blisters were life ending?

So, is there anyone who has actually seen the cross section of a late model (85-95) GB32 deck. I’ve read all the posts that parrot the common assumption. I’m looking for someone that has actually seen for themselves what the 32 has.

Trying to decide how to proceed with deck repair/replacement so no speculation please.

Thank you,

James

Attachments

• IMG_0424.jpeg
    IMG_0424.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 60
Everyone on here is going to tell you that they are cored, just like everything you found on the internet says they are cored. But you seem inclined to believe your friend, so there is only one way you can remove speculation. Drill into the deck and check for yourself.
I'm inclined to believe whom ever has actually seen one. Everything I've ever found anywhere, including here, is not empirical. And I may have to core it, but wouldn't it be smarter to try to find someone who's actually seen one first?

Aloha Ray,

Mahalo plenty!

I know for a fact that 42s are cored but that's an interesting pic. Any idea what that core material is? Kinda looks like teak but that doesn't make a lot of sense.

There are multiple core materials. My previous 1981 Island Gypsy, in many ways a GB clone, had (original) foam cored decks. You`ll be lucky if yours are, but it`s not likely.

Pull up one of you deck fills and have a look. Probably a good time to reseal them anyway.

Look for one you have access to from underneath...sometimes you can see the deck layering just from there, if not it allows you to pull the fitting all the way out for a good look.

Just remember about 95% of people that are knowledgeable about boats may be about a few things, rarely everything so take no one for their word without meticulous verification.

One big issue here is there is a problem with what many called "cored". Many older trawlers had teak, some teak, probably plywood laid down with some thin glass on top, then screwed down teak decking over top. It may or may not have some sprayed on gel coat underneath. I would NOT call this a cored deck, but I believe some do so this is why you get a variety of answers.

I can't say for sure whether your particular boat has what .....so like I said, believe no one till you confirm yourself...but there is no reason most of the time to do a new coring if you have multiple attachments to your deck already. Look around all your current fittings that penetrate the deck and see which one gives you clues or is the easiest to remove.

Aloha Ray,

Mahalo plenty!

I know for a fact that 42s are cored but that's an interesting pic. Any idea what that core material is? Kinda looks like teak but that doesn't make a lot of sense.
“Sandwich” top to bottom: teak, fiberglass, mahogany?, fiberglass.

Pull up one of you deck fills and have a look. Probably a good time to reseal them anyway.

Look for one you have access to from underneath...sometimes you can see the deck layering just from there, if not it allows you to pull the fitting all the way out for a good look.

Just remember about 95% of people that are knowledgeable about boats may be about a few things, rarely everything so take no one for their word without meticulous verification.

One big issue here is there is a problem with what many called "cored". Many older trawlers had teak, some teak, probably plywood laid down with some thin glass on top, then screwed down teak decking over top. It may or may not have some sprayed on gel coat underneath. I would NOT call this a cored deck, but I believe some do so this is why you get a variety of answers.

I can't say for sure whether your particular boat has what .....so like I said, believe no one till you confirm yourself...but there is no reason most of the time to do a new coring if you have multiple attachments to your deck already. Look around all your current fittings that penetrate the deck and see which one gives you clues or is the easiest to remove.
Interesting that you wouldn’t call a lamination of FRP, wood, FRP a cored deck. I would call anything cored that is not solid glass. Beyond that it’s a question of core material which can be wood (all kinds), foam, manufactured honeycomb, etc.

I’ll bet this distinction in definition is why this one person is saying the GB deck isn’t cored.

As mentioned, the only way to do it without speculation is to examine your particular deck and see what you see.

The sample picture seems to show what I would expect, which is cored construction with what looks like blocks of mahogany scrap used for core. Very plentiful around an Asian yard that builds mahogany interiors, and thus ‘free.’ It would also be quite possible to drill into such a deck and hit one of the gaps between the core blocks and then think for all eternity you had proof the decks were not cored.

Or just keep asking the internet until you decide to believe someone. Not trying to be a jerk, just a pragmatist. (My wife doesnt always believe that, either;)

Interesting that you wouldn’t call a lamination of FRP, wood, FRP a cored deck. I would call anything cored that is not solid glass. Beyond that it’s a question of core material which can be wood (all kinds), foam, manufactured honeycomb, etc.

I’ll bet this distinction in definition is why this one person is saying the GB deck isn’t cored.
I may have not been clear... my deck and on other older TTs (like the superstructure construction) there was exterior glass but no additionl FRP layer underneath to make it "cored". Which in my mind, "cored" is made for structure and these older boats were just made differently.

The good news was on my boat, once the teak deck was eliminated, the teak plywood underneath dried out (no glass on the bottom) and retained it's strength so a complete deck rebuild was not necessary.

A lot of people tried to argue with me on TF...but I won out because I did my homework and tore into my problem to see what was actually there.

The subsequent owner and several surveys all confirmed.

This isn't directly helpful to the OP, but FWIW this is what my 1982 42CL looks like at the fuel fill.

Attachments

• PXL_20240213_231840334.jpg
    PXL_20240213_231840334.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20240213_231812864.jpg
    PXL_20240213_231812864.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 14
Back
Top Bottom