Dumb Newb Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yugpmoc

I’m retiring (running away) soon. I want to do it on a boat. I’m a big fan of solitude and anticipate long stretches of me wandering with no particular destination in mind or land in sight. Dock and slip fees seem pretty ridiculous that I have found so far. In my mind, I envision anchoring somewhere and motoring in on whatever tender I end up with for groceries and such, at least most of the time.

I’m fighting the urge to buy the biggest thing I can afford although I really do want lots of workshop and workbench space. I’m an endless tinkerer. I’m currently seesawing between a big trawler or a cat covered in solar panels or perhaps some sort of workboat that I convert. The project part will be fun for me. I can afford an old trawler (the 65ft Burger on Pops being my current favorite), I cannot necessarily afford, with any living expenses left, a giant cat. I’ve yet to find a motorsail or workboat that appeals.

The engines listed are 2 6V71 @ 225hp although the pictures appear to be inline motors. They do look like 671s to me. I’m not ever going to be in a hurry, except maneuvering and storms I expect. Obviously it’s a big heavy boat. It does have a steel hull. But the pictures of it out of the water don’t really look like the trawler profile I’ve seen on others.

Can I get the efficiencies I’m going to be needing out of this thing tooling around at whatever, I’m not certain of the word ‘headway?’ speed is? Perhaps on one motor?

What is the minimum horsepower I would need to push this thing with to make a few knots? Is it practical to add solar and some sort of electrical propulsion? I should be able to get 10-15ish kW on top of that thing. I’m going to be adding thrusters anyway if I get the boat…. Is Hybrid a thing?

I am on fire, but I can wait for the right ship. And budget wise if it had some sails that might be nice, but that has always looked like more work than I want to do and quite a bit easier to die out by myself. How often do you have to replace all those ropes and all that fabric?

OK, tear me up, I can take it.
-w-

Welcome aboard. I am not an engine expert but I think that the 671s are indeed an inline 6 cylinder engine. They are old old technology but really good reliable and relatively cheap to maintain engines.

Welcome aboard. I am not an engine expert but I think that the 671s are indeed an inline 6 cylinder engine. They are old old technology but really good reliable and relatively cheap to maintain engines.
I love that sound. That’s the real diesel sound. They stopped making them in the mid 90s but I’m assuming there’s not a continent on the planet that I can’t find spare parts. I’m hoping I can more or less set one at idle and make headway when my pants aren’t on fire…

I’m retiring (running away) soon. I want to do it on a boat. I’m a big fan of solitude and anticipate long stretches of me wandering with no particular destination in mind or land in sight. Dock and slip fees seem pretty ridiculous that I have found so far. In my mind, I envision anchoring somewhere and motoring in on whatever tender I end up with for groceries and such, at least most of the time.

I’m fighting the urge to buy the biggest thing I can afford although I really do want lots of workshop and workbench space. I’m an endless tinkerer. I’m currently seesawing between a big trawler or a cat covered in solar panels or perhaps some sort of workboat that I convert. The project part will be fun for me. I can afford an old trawler (the 65ft Burger on Pops being my current favorite), I cannot necessarily afford, with any living expenses left, a giant cat. I’ve yet to find a motorsail or workboat that appeals.

The engines listed are 2 6V71 @ 225hp although the pictures appear to be inline motors. They do look like 671s to me. I’m not ever going to be in a hurry, except maneuvering and storms I expect. Obviously it’s a big heavy boat. It does have a steel hull. But the pictures of it out of the water don’t really look like the trawler profile I’ve seen on others.

Can I get the efficiencies I’m going to be needing out of this thing tooling around at whatever, I’m not certain of the word ‘headway?’ speed is? Perhaps on one motor?

What is the minimum horsepower I would need to push this thing with to make a few knots? Is it practical to add solar and some sort of electrical propulsion? I should be able to get 10-15ish kW on top of that thing. I’m going to be adding thrusters anyway if I get the boat…. Is Hybrid a thing?

I am on fire, but I can wait for the right ship. And budget wise if it had some sails that might be nice, but that has always looked like more work than I want to do and quite a bit easier to die out by myself. How often do you have to replace all those ropes and all that fabric?

-w-

While I’m here, what kind of success? do people have with container gardens and such at sea?

Dock and slip fees seem pretty ridiculous that I have found so far. In my mind, I envision anchoring somewhere and motoring in on whatever tender I end up with for groceries and such, at least most of the time.

I can afford an old trawler (the 65ft Burger on Pops being my current favorite)...

You'll want to do some reading about life at anchor. Groceries aren't the only issue; there's fresh water, sanitation, fuel, electricity, etc. to solve. And then carrying (lifting, securing, deploying) or towing a dinghy... a significant subsystem in itself.

A Burger would never have been originally marketed as a "trawler." "Motor yacht," probably. (And I thought they had aluminum hulls, not steel, but I don't really know that much about 'em.)

2x 225-hp doesn't sound like much to me, for a boat of that weight. Are they original to the boat?

Running on one engine comes with potential issues, too. Depends on whether gears will tolerate free-wheeling, or whether you need to lock one gear, and/or provide a cooling water source for that shaft, etc. And steerage on one engine often sucks. It's not necessarily as simple as just shutting down one engine.

Solar is a thing, more often to keep batteries charged and to service current loads at the same time. Less common to service propulsion loads but there are indeed all-electric and hybrid vessels (and conversions) emerging. See Greenline, for example.

-Chris

Hey, thank you. I feel like I’m somewhat prepared for the pita part. I spent years living in a diesel pusher before I moved into a corner of warehouse where I keep my biz. I’m single and frugal except in my electronics and need for the occasional nice thick ribeye.

I agree that doesn’t look like many things I have seen described as trawlers. Most of those having a deeper hull profile and a single engine. But then you boat people seem to be pretty free with your terminology. Especially if you’re trying to sell it.

What I want a lot of space that I can push around the world relatively inexpensively with the power to do it safely when needed but otherwise slow and efficient is my goal.

I’m not going to pay anyone $1000 a month to park my boat ever. As that is freaking insanity. So suggestions on reasonably priced moorings for a 50-60 footer would be appreciated. The more remote the better. I don’t even really care where although Florida seems dumb to an okie that sits down with a bag of popcorn to watch live hurricane newscasters get pummeled with debris.

I liked the 225 because I felt a set of lower hp engine should have a lower consumption at low rpm. I have since read some articles that talk about the more modern engines having better efficiencies at low speed. There are a few single engine Chris Kraft out there that I could pop something modern in.

I am open to recommendations if there is something on the market I should look at. Whatever I end up with needs to be able to hold a large battery bank and lots of panels. Seaworthiness and open space is more important than fit and finish to me. if I knew more about the sorts of things available and what they were called, I would probably be more interested in a workboat conversion. I’m not certain how to shop for one. I’m not opposed to a few sails, as the wind is free, but I will almost certainly be alone. And even a land bound Okie has seen people knocked off of sailboats by that big swinging boom many many times. Maybe that’s just TV.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Read this: Boat Search 101

First thing that pops to mind is forget about POP yachts. Mostly a scam site with boats being posted that have been sold YEARS ago. There are a few similar sites. Complete waste of time IMO.

I think I've heard you need 1HP/ton to move a boat to hull speed. I also "think" reasonably priced dockage/mooring is a thing of the past. Insurance, IF you can get it isn't cheap either. Fuel? Meh. VERY small part of your expenses.

I'm an inveterate tinkerer, as well, and once you get your boat watertight (below and ABOVE the waterline) you will have lots to keep you busy even with a newer vessel. Water tightness could be a long and expensive process.

It seems you're keeping your options open and not fixed on "trawler". Good plan.

Last comment: EVERY boat is a compromise so don't get too fixated on any one must have option.

Enjoy.

Edit: There are NO dumb questions!!!!!

Last edited:
Where do yo plan to operate this boat? Can you share your boating experience to date?
This info might help members to give you better info.

This isn't criticism, but just the hurdles to cross. Anything envisioned can be achieved with enough effort and budget.

You describe needs that say big (workshop). You also describe being cheap, which says old. Insurance is very hard for a newbie trying to go big. Insurance is very hard for very old. You are trying to go big and old as a newbie. That might be challenging and worthy of figuring out limits before getting deep into specific boat selection.

For starters, think of the basic systems in a dirt home. Electrical you seem to have a focus and handle on. Engines seem to hold little mystery for you. But then you have fresh water, which means you either need to make it (and that gear isn't cheap) or assume a marina stop every few weeks. And you need to deal with septic. There will be a bill for pumping your poop, regularly (every 7-14 days with a normal sized tank).

Then as said above, you need to keep the water out, topsides and bottom. The bottom will require its own maintenance, which I point out for budget purposes. Haulout periodically, and at least a diver for zincs every so often.

Old and big. Budget heavily for maintenance supplies and parts replacements.

Lots to figure out. Be realistic with your budget even if you assume you do much of the needed work yourself.

A mooring for a 50-60 ft powerboat that is also cheap and secure will be a rare bird. You better start looking now. A mooring for that will be at least $1000/month.

W,

My suggestions are to take your time making a decision and to spend half of what you think your boat budget shall be. Find local boating groups and clubs and go hang out with the folks discussing boats and boating. We all love to do that. Ask to see their boats, ask about the good and the not so good. Ask for a ride. The more you look at the more your dream will firm up.

Buy a smaller boat than you think you want. If you will be alone most of the time you will want boat you can handle and you will be amazed at the hidden costs that show up that you have not even thought of. All boats need constant attention and they like to move. Engines and other moving parts do not like sitting still for long periods of time.

Dream but dream realistically and feel free to ask us all about your dream.

This is a common reoccurring post. I never know if I should respond or not. Usually the poster is so out of touch with reality that I come off sounding like some sort of monster hell bent on trashing the posters dream. It’s just that the realities are so different than the dream.

First off, 9 out of 10 people who have dreams of boating off into the sunset fail horribly. The one who succeeds almost always had lots of past boating experience. Past boating experience is not a guarantee of success but it helps.

Secondly, if a $1000 slip fee is annoying or out of the budget, a 65’ Burger is too expensive for you. Slip fees are just the beginning of the expenses.

Third, weather is everything in boating. In the PNW we have violet winter storms that last weeks, you are not going to ride these out on the hook. Florida and south have hurricanes. Mexico sounds like a wonderful year round place if you can take the heat and your boat can make the long open water run.

Can the posters dream be realized? Yes, but it is such a difficult life style that it is only for the few. It is hard enough to live on a boat tied to a dock next to good grocery and marine stores with a car parked out front. Now try it with no car, no mail service and the nearest store of any kind is miles away.

This is a common reoccurring post. I never know if I should respond or not. Usually the poster is so out of touch with reality that I come off sounding like some sort of monster hell bent on trashing the posters dream. It’s just that the realities are so different than the dream.
I had the same thought. The OP clearly hasn't done any real research and run the numbers of boat ownership - this isn't even close to a dream ---- it's a fantasy. "Gee - $50k for a 65-footer that's the size of a nice 2-bedroom house. Such a deal!!!! I can anchor for free and save even more money!!!"

Here's the listing for the 65-foot Burger - $55k. https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1958-burger-65-9077737/

My suggestion to OP: you may want to ask questions on ownership, not just purchase. Assuming the Burger is legit - there's a reason it's on the hard and just $55k. Decent chance your fantasy was preceded by dreams by a couple prior owners......

Peter

You can get a smaller boat like ours and have plenty to tinker with. Keep the forward cabin for your living/sleeping quarters and turn the aft cabin into your workshop. Running costs are fairly low, and per foot expenses are less(dockage, haulout, bottom painting, anodes ect.)

You asked......There is no free rides. As a newb, you won't be able to get insurance for a boat that big, and you would have a hard time insuring a steel hull that old. I would start by calling a insurance company to see what you would qualify for before wasting any more time looking for boats. I like your thought process though. Steel, heavy, twin economical engines etc. Forget about conversion, installing a new engine, going electric engine, etc. unless you are rich and like to spend lots of time in the boatyard. It will take you years to get to know any boat you buy and make it shipshape (part of the fun for me). If your by yourself, something close to 40 feet would be more then adequate to do what you want to do. Plenty of systems for comfort (watermakers, heater, ac, main engine, generator, LifePO4 batteries, solar panels, etc) will keep you busy. I would also think about the PNW. Year round cruising with 700 miles of protected water on the inside passage. Good luck.

Something Dreamers should do is search Youtube for trawler videos. Mostly what you will find are either rich people on million dollar yachts or well to do remote workers with youtube being a good side hustle.

Now its important to watch all of their videos. The first thing you will note is that most of them run for 6 or so episodes and then they simply disappear. Were did they go? My guess is they ran into a financial problem and simple abandoned the boating life.

Most of the low end water borne travelers are on sub 40' sailboats. This is probably the most financially reasonable portion of boating. For me I equate these people to backpacking and camping around the world. Nothing wrong but not how I want to live in retirement.

If you want to get a real good idea of what low budget trawler life is like watch Tula's endless Summer. Billy, the star for the program is extremely capable, he runs into all kinds of real life issues and due to his wealth of talent he survives in a very economical fashion. Mind you, Billy had an extensive boating career before he decided to wander the world in his trawler. Also, take note that Billy is only in his 20's and now that he is in his 30's he is stepping up to a half million dollar yacht in his slightly older age. Also take note, Billy only had one engine not two and only 4 cylinders not 8. Meaning every pound of engery and every dollar that Billy sent is exponential, meaning that if you doubled from Billy's 34' trawler to a 65' boat you will need 10x the money and effort that Billy put out. Remember these things when you watch his videos.

Again, I am not saying the dream can't be achieved. I am just saying there is a monumental difference between the dream and reality.

Why do I appear to care? I guess, I find it painful to see people jump into the liveaboard lifestyle unprepared only to be financially destroyed. We have a joke at my marina you are not a liveaboard when you move on to a boat. You are a liveaboard after you have survived the winter and you still think the idea is great.

All I can think to add is "You don't know and you don't know you don't know." I wish you good luck, seriously I do.

If you think $1000/month for a marina is too much money, don't even think about a 65' boat. Buy something 30-40' long. Plenty big for a single person.

Deal breaker, no queen bed in master stateroom. :D
A lot of single bunks, waste of space for a single boater.
But, get an old engine block, attach a chain and have a liveaboard. Who need insurance for that.

My first boat was 65', I was 13. Long story. I prefer large boats. Current is 83'. Get someone to teach you boat handling. If you read find a Naval Shiphandling book, probably ebay, I think is better than most yacht based books. Any publishing date after WWII. The older ones are probably better. Most shiphandling covered is destroyers and most long yachts handle much like a destroyer. Many diagrams, situations. Book is written to train young officers.
Detroit 671 inline engine is now called an IL671 since the V 6v71 came out. the IL671 is more long lasting and has more torque. I run twin IL671s naturals (no turbo) and I view them as economic and the most reliable marine diesel. They can be rebuilt forever. But actual Detroit mechanics are getting scarce. Most marina mechanics have no idea how they work. You should acquire service manuals. Parts for the inline engine are available everywhere, even Russia. Ebay is a good place to find used spares.
If you're going to live anchored out, you need a fast small boat to make supply runs. And you need a place to keep a car. Some marinas will rent you a space for a small boat and allow you to park your vehicle.
Sometimes you can find a private dock for less than marina rates and then you'd have electricity and maybe water. I have a private dock with power, but no water. I have a watermaker. You can't rely on untreated river water, you'll get sick, maybe dead. If you're in fresh water only, you can get a house type reverse osmosis water maker for a few hundred $. It won't work in salt water. The membranes that separate the fresh water from salt needs 900 psi. Start reading up now. Some public docks may have free water. In cold weather you'll need an economic heat source. Most yachts are made for weekends, not year round living.
Boats take a lot of maintenance. In salt water with good bottom paint, the boat needs to be hauled every 2-3 years. In warm salt water every year. Paint alone is hundreds a year.

Naval Ship Handling.JPG

Mariners of old, gazing at a flat map of the world while pointing at the edges were oft heard to observe: "There be Dragons". There are other boats.

With insurance, consider purchasing 'liability only'....no hull or machinery....if you lose the boat, could you handle the financial hit? Same as an older vehicle, carry plenty of liability, but no collision.

As for engines, I would insist on 'mechanical' rather than 'electronic' versions of whatever you buy.

Take a look at Sean Welch's blog....full time liveaboard/cruise...50' steel hull...he does almost 100% of maintenance on all systems.

Traveled 10yrs prior in a converted bus of his own design. Lots of good reading here...

With insurance, consider purchasing 'liability only'....no hull or machinery....

Slight diversion, but does anyone have recent experience with actually getting liability insurance? Given the restrictions on full insurance, I figured I'd never really collect on a claim if I had one so I checked into liability only. I found only one company willing to underwite and it was only a modest discount on full coverage and oddly carried the same geographic restrictions.

Just curious. Idea of inexpensive liability coverage seems a bit mythical, at least with US underwriters.

Peter

First of all, welcome to the idea of boating as a way of life. Indeed, your post is a recurrent post and one that tugs on the heart strings.
I am quite confident that I have the knowledge to comment on your post. I can fix any system on a boat and have the boating experience and the funding. I have been at this since I was a child 60+ years ago and I still dream of living aboard alone tucked into some cove in remote locations. Here is the thing, dreams are cheap and for that reason alone, never give them up. Your mind can take you to Mars and beyond dirt cheap. The thing about dreams is that you can enjoy the serenity and only have to imagine problems and hardship.
The problem is the realities of those problems and hardships must be endured before and during the dream. A 65' boat is beyond the capabilities of a single retiree, even a single non retiree. That is why that boat has a crews quarters section in it. You would have twelve hour days and not time to enjoy it. Do you really want another full time job with overtime and no benefits?
Remote? The problem with remote is that fixing anything in a remote location, even if you have the parts is much more difficult. You never have exactly what you need with you.
Age? I don't care how big the boat is you will be crammed into tight spaces working on stuff. It's a fact, the things most likely to break are the stuff that is not very accessible and therefore never properly maintained. Even with all of my expertise and experience I fell into this trap with my current boat. I could have easily afforded a turn key boat. My current boat is less than 2% of my net worth but OH NO, I had to have a project. This time I was going to do this the right way. The problem is that at 68, I am not flexible and twice as slow as I was 20 years ago. I can't fit everywhere, nor am I strong enough and had not counted on that.
Case in point, I just removed the rudders to put new bearing in. Simple job, just remove the steering arms, remove the retainer collar and the packing nut and drop the rudders out the bottom. I an on a beautiful concrete floor in heated indoor DIY storage. The ideal situation. Removed the steering arm, easy, put a jack stand under the rudder, removed the retaining collar, loosen the packing nut----ahhh, I have to stand on my head to do that as it's under the support for the upper bearing. The packing nut is also tighter than I have strength without getting 2X4's into the picture. Finally got the rudder loose enough to be able to pull it down. I put a board on the concrete to let the rudder down onto and wiggled it till is dropped the last couple inches to the board. The top of the post was still about two inches into the lower bearing. wiggled the rudder sideways until it cleared BUT, the rudder was too heavy for me and kept on going over until it was on my right thigh and hand. I was now pinned, cell phone on the swim platform. Fortunately, the place is busy and ideal working conditions. Someone assisted in lifting the rudder off of me within 5 minutes. This is on a 42' boat, a 65' would have been hiring help.
This point is that many things on big boats are too heavy to lift or too tight to loosen. We are not even talking about the problems of constant fouling in saltwater you deal with just to move. That alone now bars me from looking to spend time anchored in a remote cove miles from the nearest Medicare doctor.
I still have my dreams, a nice boat, $1k per month to have the boat somewhere attached to land and happy with what is possible.
My suggesting would be a boat no larger than 36' single engine. You can have your shop or no guests, not both but, it's doable for $600-$800 per month storage or dockage and $55k will buy you a worthwhile boat without too much work to enjoy it. Even if you move much of the time, fuel on a single engine trawler styled boat is cheaper than dockage.

Slight diversion, but does anyone have recent experience with actually getting liability insurance? Given the restrictions on full insurance, I figured I'd never really collect on a claim if I had one so I checked into liability only. I found only one company willing to underwite and it was only a modest discount on full coverage and oddly carried the same geographic restrictions.

Just curious. Idea of inexpensive liability coverage seems a bit mythical, at least with US underwriters

I have liability only with State Farm, $550 per yr..... and with Boat/US on a different boat a Stamas 288, $150 per yr.
An umbrella with SF extends liability to $3mil over both base policys of $300k

when i started playing with boats in the 70s things didnt seem that expensive and perhaps i was just to young but fast forward to today and just a couple dock lines can cost a couple hundred bucks. It seems like something is ordered for the boat every couple of weeks and i have a boat thats only a few years old. Between moorage,insurance,and just stuff i have to spend over 2k a month and i don't even count fuel. Not trying to discourage you but you need at least have a realistic budget. You don't mention in your post what kind of income you will have for retirement. If you have the money and your doing it just for fun and the experiencing then problem solved.

I can give you somewhat of a realistic budget from the standpoint of a single DIY'er retired boater leading a good liveaboard life. First of all, you are never a liveaboard, you are a full time cruiser. North in fresh water in the summer and south to fresh water in the winter. Fresh water is much cheaper and salt water exists in transit.
This budget is for a $50k 36' Taiwanese trawler being north in the rivers or the Great Lakes in the summer and south to the rivers near the ocean in the winter. About 4,000 miles a year. Docking every three days or months at a time not in totally post card prime locations. All work is performed by you. The boat is fairly simple without a lot of complicated systems.
Dockage $4,500
Fuel $4,500
Oil Changes $300
Gen Maint $7,900
Insurance $750
Total about $1,500 per month.
A word of caution: Nothing will get you rejected and shunned quicker than a deck garden, cloths pins on the life lines or trash stored in the dinghy. That screams future derelict.

That Burger 65 is located at my Marina (Northpoint Marina). She is made of steel and needs a lot of work. It has been for sale for several years and originally was brokered by Skipper Buds at around 100k and was kept indoors. It moved outside last year and is now down to 55k. I'm guessing the owner is starting to run out of money to store it. I pass it every time I head up to work on my boat in winter storage. Her condition has been deteriorating over the winter. From first glance she needs at least 100k to get back to an acceptable condition.

The surveyor I used to purchase our OA last year surveyed that boat twice and the purchase fell through both times. He did not get into specifics. He also used to work for Burger Yachts in Manitowoc so was pretty knowledgeable about them.

On a positive note it is a really cool boat and would be great to see it back on the water, but she is no small project.

-w-
Check out this site. Lots of info.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom