exhaust pipe on a CDH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulga

Guru
Vessel Name
DD
Vessel Make
Marine Trader Sundeck 40'
I had planned the pipe to come downward gently from the heater to the outlet. but the Espar d4 manual for marine installation specified a 90 degree bend with drain coils, and the exhaust pipe comes up and down forming an inverted U shape, before landing on a through hull that is higher than the heater. The same design concept is also demonstrated in this video. If I make the through hull lower than the heater exhaust and arrange the pipe in a downward slope, is this design admissible? does this design still need a drain coil for condensation?

Screenshot 2024-05-06 225829.png

does condensation come from thru placement of the thru hull exhaust?
"... when the heater is turned off, the hot gas in the pipe cools down, shrinks and sucks in moisture from the outside. the amount of condensation is purely dependent on the length of the exhaust pipe and the moisture content in the air"

the manual says this inverted U shape is to prevent water ingression

OK, so go ahead and put the thru hull anywhere you want as long as it is 1 foot above water line and keep the condensation coil.

OK, so go ahead and put the thru hull anywhere you want as long as it is 1 foot above water line and keep the condensation coil.
The exhaust bend and condensation coil are not included with my heater. Do you mean both are not needed?

Back
Top Bottom