Helmsman Trawlers in the Wild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was pretty sure Lilly was a special dog, but I had no idea she was such a talented poet. Bravo!

I was pretty sure Lilly was a special dog, but I had no idea she was such a talented poet. Bravo!

"A pirate can do anything," they say,
As they sail through night and day.
With cutlass gleaming, eyes ablaze,
They chase their dreams through ocean haze.

Upon a helmsman's yacht so sleek,
A pirate's dreams find what they seek.
With a Garmin in hand, they chart their way,
Across the NW passage, both night and day.

lilly pirate.jpg

A milestone. With enough commissioning projects completed, we are making our first overnight anchorage.

St Michael’s Md.

Life is good.

Congrats. Let's hope it is a calm night. Otherwise you will obsess about every creak, groan, anchor chain noise and wave slap, coupled with getting up to check the batteries and all the other obsessive things you do on your first night on the hook. Plan a nap for tomorrow.

Sleep soundly!

Jeff

Moon rise over the home port

Attachments

• IMG_3501.jpg
    IMG_3501.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 31
A milestone. With enough commissioning projects completed, we are making our first overnight anchorage.

St Michael’s Md.

Life is good.

A memorable milestone. I keeps getting better with each trip. This week we were moored at Sucia Island with thunder, lightning and pouring rain. It was blissful.

In St Michael’s MD. View from first use of the dingy.

Attachments

• IMG_3352.jpg
    IMG_3352.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 36
What a pleasant surprise. We met Off Leash heading up the Swinomish Channel. We traveled in formation for several miles. We wish we could have joined them at Sucia but we have visiting Italians aboard who have to get home.

28403-albums1128-picture8077.jpeg

Yes Doug, Off Leash is a beautiful 38E, as is Alba Bella. Glad to hear that both of you are having an enjoyable summer cruising.

Memories: Looking through our 2022 cruise photos. Kiskadee at the Sawyer glacier. Thinking about a return in 2024 after shakedown of the H46.

Attachments

• Kiskadee-Sawyer-DSC_8338.jpg
    Kiskadee-Sawyer-DSC_8338.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 44
Blue Flames

Nice photos everyone. We have had a couple intense red tides this summer/bioluminescent. Photo in San Pedro, CA.

Attachments

• IMG_1447.jpg
    IMG_1447.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 36
Vol Navy

We took the Mishy Jean upriver to the Vol Navy last week. The cruise over three days was some of the best cruising we have enjoyed. Beautiful weather with glass like water, and the fall colors just starting to pop. The Vol Navy is made up of about 150 boats who converge on the free docks below Neyland Stadium at the University of Tennessee. UT beat South Carolina in a night game.

The interest in the Helmsman was a bit overwhelming! There were a lot of compliments and questions about the boat. Many, many folks stopped by to tell us it was their favorite boat of the “show”. The people we met at the docks were incredibly gracious, fun to hang out with, and we met several new boating friends!

On the way back down the Tennessee Sunday we got a crash course in disturbed seas, as everyone hurrying back to the marinas down river to get back home waked us. Fifty to seventy foot boats passing in narrow channels can create a pretty good wake, with little room to maneuver, so the great handling characteristics of the 38e was certainly reassuring.

Attachments

• IMG_3752.jpg
    IMG_3752.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3708.jpg
    IMG_3708.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 38
A few days ago we met up with Larry and Nancy aboard Waterhorse in Roche Harbor. They were returning from Canada and, for a short time, there were two beautiful blue 38Es in the marina, Hulls 50 and 52.

28403-albums1128-picture8081.jpg

A blue hull is a thing of beauty to behold. I'm anxiously awaiting the time when I can post a photo of the 46, with its Kingston grey hull!! Hopefully in December 2023.

Alba Bella resting at Roche….

Attachments

• IMG_0097.jpg
    IMG_0097.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 38
October has always been my favorite month of the year for boating…

Attachments

• IMG_1450.jpg
    IMG_1450.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1449.jpg
    IMG_1449.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 43
Step child

Not sure this qualifies . Whale Cut Abacos

Attachments

• IMG_2591.jpg
    IMG_2591.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 50
A memory from the 2022 visit to the Sawyer Glacier, Tracy Arm. Planning for the next SE Alaska cruise has begun, with a mid-April 2024 departure from Port Ludlow.

Attachments

• Kiskadee-Sawyer-DSC_8338.jpg
    Kiskadee-Sawyer-DSC_8338.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 33
Ok, not quite the wild, but the lock operators at the Fort Loudon lock wished us well on their FB page. Beautiful day on the trip back down the river. The wild part is further south. We saw one thirty footer and a few fishing boats. Otherwise we had the river to ourselves. The fall colors were epic. Forty degrees in the morning, then 72 by 1:00. Perfect few days on the boat.

Attachments

• IMG_0680.jpg
    IMG_0680.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 37
Emma B….. Desolation Sound in the fall.

Attachments

• 204A635A-6123-4727-AF8E-0727BC7E0839.jpg
    204A635A-6123-4727-AF8E-0727BC7E0839.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 21
My 2024 Helmsman 38 Sedan (hull #1) has arrived stateside, offloaded in Norfolk VA this week. I'm on my way to meeting it. Someone just happened to see it pass by their boat in Norfolk VA this morning, and out of the blue sent me this photo -

Attachments

• IMG_6309.jpeg
    IMG_6309.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
My 2024 Helmsman 38 Sedan (hull #1) has arrived stateside, offloaded in Norfolk VA this week. I'm on my way to meeting it. Someone just happened to see it pass by their boat in Norfolk VA this morning, and out of the blue sent me this photo -

I like the style of the 38 Sedan. Color is perfect for it!

Back
Top Bottom