John Deere 6404DF-02 parts availability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TrawlerDavid

Veteran Member
I am in the process of purchasing and surveying a 1976 GB 36 Classic with twin JD 6404DF-02 engines with about 2500 hours each. From what I've been reading, these are dependable engines and assuming proper maintenance and care should provide dependable power. The only issue I've seen discussed is availability of parts, as the JD's were not widely used in later GB's. For anyone with these engines, have you been able to find the necessary maintenance parts (fuel and oil filters, impellers, hoses, etc.) either at the boat yard or through diesel supply companies? Thanks for sharing any experiences you may have had with these engines.

The local John Deere Marine Distributor in Tukwila WA (Cascade Engine Center) covers the whole west coast, and though the 6404's are an old spec, they would be the first ones I would call and ask.

Impellers/Filters/Hoses/Belts are all available aftermarket if OEM parts are longer lead.

John Deere

Thanks for the excellent information and advice. As a potential new trawler owner (after 50 years of sailing) I am so appreciating this forum as a resource and the generosity of members in sharing knowledge.

I have JD6404s in my 1974 GB42. There are 2 types of parts:

- the original JD tractor engine - lots of parts, including some aftermarket parts (ex: injectors). Good availability for the normal rotation engine. Less easy for the few parts that change on the reverse rotating engine (ex: starter motor).

- the marinisation parts - (exhaust manifold, heat exchanger, exhaust elbows, etc). The marinisation was done by AmMarine who no longer exist, so no availability for these. Having said that, the hex and the manifold seem to be very robust. Also the raw water pump parts are readily available, or the whole pump can be substituted by a better setup (I posted a thread on this).

We also have the same engines.
No problem getting fuel and oil filters through NAPA.
For antifreeze use the basic old-school NAPA green.
As Nick said above, all the "tractor engine" components can be found, but the marinization parts not so much.
But with some creative thinking you can solve those dilemmas.
For example, am in process now of replacing exhaust mixing elbows with a custom dry hot riser setup.
If Heat Exhanger ever failed would simply get another one of similar capacity off any other engine type and bolt it on somewhere nearby as it is all just connected with hoses anyway and does not need to be in the exact same location to function.
I like the fact that the engine is basically a work-horse low RPM tractor engine; that is appealing and the other stuff can be figured out as needed if you are handy.

No glow plugs.
No electronics.
No turbo.
Low compresion ratio.
Less to go wrong.
Easy to work on at sea.
Plenty of room around them in the engine room.
Basic reliable propulsion.
Have friends in our marina that need a technician with a computer to fine tune or figure out what is wrong with their engines.
So far, knock on wood, we just push a button and they start every time.
My criteria for switching from sail to power was engines I could work on myself.
These are old-school and perfect for our needs.

You can find spare used parts and whole engines on ebay.

Besides JD, there are many farm suppliers that have JD parts, and cheaper than marine parts.

I have the same engine in my 1977 GB36CL, single engine. I have not found any problem with filters (oil, fuel) which I get from the local JD dealer. I had the exhaust water mixer fail and could not find a direct replacement (no longer manufactured). I got a custom exhaust elbow/mixer from MESA (Marine Exhaust Systems of Alabama, Fairhope, AL). They turned it around quickly and I am very pleased with the result. It was a custom made item, but this is what they do, and they were spot on with the part.
Doug Jewell
M/V Belle
1977 GB36CL
HN 496

For antifreeze use the basic old-school NAPA green....

Be careful picking coolant by color. Color is not an indicator of the correct coolant chemistry required for an engine.

My Ford truck has an International engine that came with gold colored coolant. Ford has a green colored coolant and the two are not interchangeable.

My JD tractor, with a Yanmar engine, uses a green coolant that IS the same as the Ford gold coolant but it is NOT the same as the Ford green coolant.

Make sure the coolant meets the engine specification and don't go by color.

Be careful picking coolant by color. Color is not an indicator of the correct coolant chemistry required for an engine.

My Ford truck has an International engine that came with gold colored coolant. Ford has a green colored coolant and the two are not interchangeable.

My JD tractor, with a Yanmar engine, uses a green coolant that IS the same as the Ford gold coolant but it is NOT the same as the Ford green coolant.

Make sure the coolant meets the engine specification and don't go by color.

Agreed, although referring to the old school green stuff is the one time color means anything. There are other green coolants out there (like the "universal" Prestone stuff), but the old school IAT coolants are always green, so referring to them as the "old school green stuff" is common.

That Ford gold coolant is a good example. Ford Motorcraft Gold, Zerex G-05 (which I think is a bit lighter in color than the Ford stuff) and Mopar HOAT coolant (which is pink) are all the same coolant. And apparently that JD tractor coolant is the same stuff as well.

Agreed, although referring to the old school green stuff is the one time color means anything. There are other green coolants out there (like the "universal" Prestone stuff), but the old school IAT coolants are always green, so referring to them as the "old school green stuff" is common.

That Ford gold coolant is a good example. Ford Motorcraft Gold, Zerex G-05 (which I think is a bit lighter in color than the Ford stuff) and Mopar HOAT coolant (which is pink) are all the same coolant. And apparently that JD tractor coolant is the same stuff as well.

Yep they are all of the same, Ford Gold, JD Green, and Zerex G-05. I don't know about Mopar though. :) I forget the brand but there is/was an orange colored coolant that was the same chemistry as these.

Some of the Prestone green should not be used in my diesel engines since it was for gas engines only. Gots to read the manual and the coolant label.:D

Yep they are all of the same, Ford Gold, JD Green, and Zerex G-05. I don't know about Mopar though. :) I forget the brand but there is/was an orange colored coolant that was the same chemistry as these.

Some of the Prestone green should not be used in my diesel engines since it was for gas engines only. Gots to read the manual and the coolant label.:D

Yup, always need to know what the coolant is and what's suitable (and make sure you don't mix different types, as some react badly and produce nasty sludge). As a note, most systems that originally used old school IAT green coolant can safely use the G-05 type coolants after the system is thoroughly flushed.

Back
Top Bottom