Portland to Cabo anchorages?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeoKa

Guru
Vessel Name
Ironsides
Vessel Make
54' Bruce Roberts steel sailboat hull, coastal LRC, 220HP CAT 3306.
I understand it is a bit early, but my plan is to cruise down from Portland OR to Cabo San Lucas next summer.
I am looking for suggestions/advice on nightly anchorages during this trip. I can go into marinas, if necessary, but my primary goal is to stay on anchor overnight and continue sailing during the day. I do not plan to sail at night, unless there is no other way. I am single handed, single engine, 6 knots, LRC. I am retired, so there is no schedule. Takes as long it takes. I am pretty much off-grid, so rarely need to get supplies. I can store plenty of fuel about 1600 gallons. 1200 in tanks + 400 in bladders. Ideally, I would sail starting early morning till late afternoon and drop anchor. Although, I managed to cross the river banks at Newport and Columbia river, I would like to avoid this experience again.
I am asking for recommendations for fairly safe anchorages on this route. I am totally flexible and not in a hurry. Any advice is also appreciated.

PS: since my boat is a roll type, I plan to keep my tanks full all the way. If you have recommendations for refueling on the way, please share. Price per gallon is to be considered.

Thanks.

Find a copy of Douglass"s "Exploring the Pacific Coast: San Diego to Seattle." It's out of print but excellent information.

Hopefully, KSanders on this forum will chime in. He's done this run single-handed on his Bayliner 4788. It's a faster boat though.

Challenge you'll have is not just the miles between harbors and anchorages, but the harbor entrances and exits often need to be timed to around slack water. This is especially challenging for afternoon arrivals since the winds are at their height. And departing before daylight can be challenging too. There are a lot of good reasons to run straight through along the West Coast.

There are quite a few anchorages along Baja, though many are open roassteads and not always comfortable (or even tenable). Some sort of at-anchor flopper stoppers is advised. The Shawn and Heather Breeding cruising guide is recommended as are their o-charts electronic chartlets from Blue Latitude Press.

It's a great run. But you may want to do some soul searching on how badly you want to avoid running at night. I understand the desire, but there are some practical limitations.

Peter

commended as are their o-charts electronic chartlets from Blue Latitude Press.

It's a great run. But you may want to do some soul searching on how badly you want to avoid running at night. I understand the desire, but there are some practical limitations.

Peter
Thanks Peter.
I could handle occasional overnight sailings, but not several nights.
I will look into those books.
The reason I want to find anchorages (even down Oregon and N.CA is to avoid the hassle). Newport was a nightmare to me and I do not want to experience that again. I can handle anchoring, even if it is not much peaceful. As you get old, you don't sleep well anyway...

If I understand you, you are asking about overnight anchorages without the need to cross bars or make other challenging entrances. The short answer is no, there aren't any.

Under extremely favorable weather conditions, with local knowledge and a willingness to roll hard all night you might find some.

Reality is to try to transit the west coast in short hops you will be crossing bars.

To be blunt if you found Newport difficult you should rethink your plans. It is one of the simpler bars to deal with.

Reality is to try to transit the west coast in short hops you will be crossing bars.

To be blunt if you found Newport difficult you should rethink your plans. It is one of the simpler bars to deal with.
I see. It is not the answer I was hoping for, but I accept it.

Newport was not difficult because of the bar. It was 2 a.m., very dark, first time there, NW winds, no radar, crab pots, strait down from Neah Bay solo.

I took a quick look at my Coastal Explorer on my PC. I like it for this type of planning because it pulls in ActiveCaptain reviews and some third party information from Coast Pilots. I found one or two anchorages that were always rumored to exist when I delivered but was impossible to verify within the time constraints of a delivery, but not many.

I think you have to have a candid conversation about your risk tolerance around either leaving or entering an anchorage or harbor at night. Tillamook, Coos Bay, Eureka, and Ft Bragg are all good examples of harbor bars that reasonably reliable but I personally wouldn't be comfortable entering or exiting at night (perhaps near full moon in calm would be workable). Newport and Crescent City are examples of harbors that are open enough that entering at night is feasible though risk of human error is pretty high if helmsman is single handed and exhausted. I recall seeing a sailboat hard aground in Bodega Bay - they missed the hard dogleg in the channel which is probably because they were tired on nighttime approach.

In addition to KSanders who did a single handed run, TF member AKDoug also did it both directions on a Willard 30 - a 6-kt boat. But he did some long legs which you're trying to avoid.

Keeping legs down to 100 nms (14 hours of so) is mostly possible. But in practical terms, difficult because of coordinating entrances. Looks easier on paper than actually doing it. You'd have to be very diligent about weather to avoid a situation where you arrive later than expected of weather is worse than expected and you make a bad decision. Fatigue is a prime reason boats are lost.

Peter

I see. It is not the answer I was hoping for, but I accept it.

Newport was not difficult because of the bar. It was 2 a.m., very dark, first time there, NW winds, no radar, crab pots, strait down from Neah Bay solo.
I understand the difficulty of running an unfamiliar entrance in the dark. And the exhaustion of running solo.

One solution to entering unfamiliar areas in the dark is to depart the previous harbor in darkness. You have seen it, run it and have a track line on your plotter. I have on occasion departed at midnight to make a favorable entrance next stop.

The solution to running solo is don't do it. Find some one to make the trip with you. Even someone with limited experience can steer for a few hours to give you a break.

Crab pots are always a problem. They're damned hard to see at night. Maybe a spot light would help. Mounted high on your mast or on the forward rail as opposed to the typical roof top mounting. The roof top mounting often puts too much glare on the fore deck.

Radar. You don't say whether it was inoperative or you don't have one. I wouldn't do that run without a decent, functioning radar. Expensive but in my opinion well worth the cost.

Beyond the usual advice to get good weather forecasts, to know the tidal currents at your next stop and realistic SOG and fuel burn numbers the advice I will give is to arrive at your next bar crossing early. A slow boat can always slow down more if running ahead of schedule. It can't speed up if running late.

At the risk of insulting you for telling you something you already know I will caution you to know the difference between high or low tide and slack tide. On many bars they don't happen at the same time. It is slack current or favorable currents you care about, not high or low water. I mention this because I've seen seasoned inshore boaters with no coastal experience, recreational and professional, make that mistake. Arriving at high tide or low tide facing a strong ebb. Drop "high lack" and "low slack" from your lexicon and use "slack before the ebb" and "slack before the flood". It will help get your head in the right place for solving the puzzle.

I took a quick look at my Coastal Explorer on my PC. I like it for this type of planning because it pulls in ActiveCaptain reviews and some third party information from Coast Pilots. I found one or two anchorages that were always rumored to exist when I delivered but was impossible to verify within the time constraints of a delivery, but not many.

Fatigue is a prime reason boats are lost.

Peter
Great info and guidance. Thanks!

- is Coastal Explorer a software or website?
- I do not plan to enter any shelter in the dark again,
- I have changed my mind and willing to go into harbors, if there is not alternative,
- I have read those threats back and forth several times and I will do again,
- my goal is to sail out early and arrive before darkness.
- I have one year to gather all the tools I can for weather condition predictions.

Drop "high lack" and "low slack" from your lexicon and use "slack before the ebb" and "slack before the flood". It will help get your head in the right place for solving the puzzle.
Excellent and very useful info, thank you!

- leaving in the dark early is not a problem, I left Neah Bay at 4.30 a.m.
- I hope to avoid hiring someone, if I can. I plan to sail only in good weather and I have a new autopilot system. Of course, it did not help much in the following seas last June and I had steer most of the 23 hours run. Reminded me when I was an OS at young age on cargo ships. Steering was plenty there.
- I do have a spot light mounted on my mast. It does work well, but not much help on open water. It works only to a distance. Crap pots appeared out of the dark about 100-150 feet away and it was pretty tight to avoid them in the dark.
- Yes, I do not have a radar now. I will have one by next summer. Technology improves and I want the latest I can afford. All my navigation instruments are new RM, so a new radar and AIS transmitter will be incorporated into the network. I also plan to buy the well known satellite dish for internet.
- The plan is to have internet connection all the way, so weather predictions and planning should be available all the time.
- Thank you for the correct terms. EBB and W-NW wind was a pain when I left Port Townsend too early. The boat handled it well, but pitch was ' jumpy '. Spray was constant and I really had to slow down. Learned the hard way about better timing. I will follow your advice.
- Timing is the key for this plan to work.

I understand the difficulty of running an unfamiliar entrance in the dark. And the exhaustion of running solo.

One solution to entering unfamiliar areas in the dark is to depart the previous harbor in darkness. You have seen it, run it and have a track line on your plotter. I have on occasion departed at midnight to make a favorable entrance next stop….
We’ve done the trip twice. Leaving in the dark was something we did several times to arrive with the right tides.

The USCG is your friend on the trip. They will readily give you bar conditions. We were stuck in Coos Bay for 2 weeks because of weather. The bar was closed at times to all vessels and then there were times it was closed to only recreational vessels less than 45’. We left there at 3 am to head further south.

We never crossed a bar on an ebb tide. We used the “flood is fine, ebb is evil rule. With the prevailing winds out of the west, and an out going flow (ebb) across the bar, it can be very ugly as things get stacked up at the entrance. On the flood, the wind, seas and entrances are all in the same direction.

It’s a great trip!

LeoKa,

Between Ensenada and Cabo San Lucas is an area of few services and fairly open anchorages, 3 or 4 are protected in 700-odd miles. On the final third of the trip from Magdelena Bay to Cabo San Lucas, there are no places for shelter. Not trying to soil the dream, just reinforcing that options to stop and rest change dramatically once you cross the border.

A gentleman traveling south at the same time as we were was singlehanded, and he has since returned to SoCal singlehanded.

Another useful book is Mexico Boating Guide by Captain Pat Rains. The Navionics app/charts are fairly useful for this trip.

Safe travels, it is a great trip.

LeoKa,

Between Ensenada and Cabo San Lucas is an area of few services and fairly open anchorages, 3 or 4 are protected in 700-odd miles. On the final third of the trip from Magdelena Bay to Cabo San Lucas, there are no places for shelter. Not trying to soil the dream, just reinforcing that options to stop and rest change dramatically once you cross the border.
I see. If I divide the 700 miles into 3-4 anchorages, it will give me 170-180 for a leg. I know this is not accurate as the anchorages are not evenly spread, but something I can work with. A distance like this is certainly more than a day run for me. This means overnight sailing. However, if I can rest between each leg for couple days, I can handle a two days strait run. The key for me is to rest enough, before I take another track. I am pretty sure many singlehanded boaters have done it, but it is a challenging trip. Again, I have plenty of time to wait and sit anywhere.

The gentleman you've mentioned has done it with a motorboat? Can we read about his trip here, or can he be contacted for info sharing?
Thanks.

Not sure when your leaving from, possibly Grays harbor entrance to Columbia River light ship --44 miles

or leave from Columbia River light ship @ outer entrance to Tillamook - 40 miles

Tillamook entrance to Newport entrance - 55 miles

Newport entrance to Coos Bay entrance -- 77 miles

Coos Bay entrance to Port Orford entrance -- 51 miles

Port Orford to Crescent City entrance -- 65 miles

Crescent City to Eureka entrance -- 60 miles

Eureka entrance to Shelter Cove to entrance -- 54 miles

Shelter Cove to Bodega Bay entrance -- 117 miles

Bodega Bay to Pt Reyes -- 23 miles

Pt Reyes to SF bay entrance -- 28 miles

so there is 1st part of your trip from Columbia river to San Francisco in a nut shell. -- or Approximately 836 miles.

I try to leave Seattle in July or August, period-!, - head down Pacific Coast & then plan to lay over in Ensenada, MX. till November. The go south after November 1st, weather allowing.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next 2nd part of the trip south :TRIP: San Francisco Bay, CA to Channel Islands Harbor near Oxnard, CA.

I have done that trip both ways many times.

so, next - on Recent Last trip took me 2 days, 2 hours, 22 minutes - and we went straight through with no stops.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
San Francisco Bay to Half Moon Bay - 24
Half Moon Bay to Monterey bay- 62
Monterey bay to Morro Bay to - 102 - longest unprotected coast.
Morro Bay to Port San Luis to - 21
Port San Luis to Cojo Anchorage - 51
Cojo Anchorage to Santa Barbara to - 35
Santa Barbara to Channel Islands Hbr to - 27

total - harbor entrance sea buoy to sea buoy - 322
*In harbor mileage extra
All distances in Nautical Miles

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next from Channel islands to Ensenada,

if your have enough crew you can do the 200 miles to Ensenada straight through. or a bit longer trip with stops along the way - (234-miles) -BTW - Checking in to the country of Mexico when in Ensenada is the best port in Mexico to do that in. You will need to get your "TIP" - temp import permit - recommended - before you leave San Diego - which can be done on-line.

if you like to stop to rest & make it a three jump trip --
1st stop in Catalina Twin harbors, 64 miles
2nd stop - jump next to San Diego - i recommend Chula Vista marina, 80 miles as Chula Vista is at the back of San Diego bay.
& then jump the last trip & go to Ensenada. -- 90 miles.

Good luck - timing of your departure is critical & do not do this trip at the wrong time.

Get these two books

https://www.landfallnavigation.com/c...rican-rte.html

https://www.landfallnavigation.com/m...ing-guide.html

Any questions or help needed let me know.

Alfa Mike

Last edited: Jul 11, 2023

Just be honest with yourself. While you said "I can handle a 2 day run" be sure to think about less than best case scenarios. Example: you have been at the helm for 24 hours and wrap a line/net around your prop. Are you going to go under your boat or hope you can get a tow boat service (and roll around or possibly worse while you wait)?
I am moving my boat from San Diego to SF Bay. A trip I have made multiple times. While physically and mentally I probably could do it alone I want to enjoy it and don't need to earn some imaginary merit badge fora solo passage. It was easy to find another couple on this forum who would like to join me (unpaid). We should have a great trip and I know that it will be much safer.

Is there a specific reason you have to do this solo?

Not sure when your leaving from, possibly Grays harbor entrance to Columbia River light ship --44 miles

or leave from Columbia River light ship @ outer entrance to Tillamook - 40 miles

Tillamook entrance to Newport entrance - 55 miles

Newport entrance to Coos Bay entrance -- 77 miles

Coos Bay entrance to Port Orford entrance -- 51 miles

Port Orford to Crescent City entrance -- 65 miles

Crescent City to Eureka entrance -- 60 miles

Eureka entrance to Shelter Cove to entrance -- 54 miles

Shelter Cove to Bodega Bay entrance -- 117 miles

Bodega Bay to Pt Reyes -- 23 miles

Pt Reyes to SF bay entrance -- 28 miles

so there is 1st part of your trip from Columbia river to San Francisco in a nut shell. -- or Approximately 836 miles.

I try to leave Seattle in July or August, period-!, - head down Pacific Coast & then plan to lay over in Ensenada, MX. till November. The go south after November 1st, weather allowing.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next 2nd part of the trip south :TRIP: San Francisco Bay, CA to Channel Islands Harbor near Oxnard, CA.

I have done that trip both ways many times.

so, next - on Recent Last trip took me 2 days, 2 hours, 22 minutes - and we went straight through with no stops.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
San Francisco Bay to Half Moon Bay - 24
Half Moon Bay to Monterey bay- 62
Monterey bay to Morro Bay to - 102 - longest unprotected coast.
Morro Bay to Port San Luis to - 21
Port San Luis to Cojo Anchorage - 51
Cojo Anchorage to Santa Barbara to - 35
Santa Barbara to Channel Islands Hbr to - 27

total - harbor entrance sea buoy to sea buoy - 322
*In harbor mileage extra
All distances in Nautical Miles

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next from Channel islands to Ensenada,

if your have enough crew you can do the 200 miles to Ensenada straight through. or a bit longer trip with stops along the way - (234-miles) -BTW - Checking in to the country of Mexico when in Ensenada is the best port in Mexico to do that in. You will need to get your "TIP" - temp import permit - recommended - before you leave San Diego - which can be done on-line.

if you like to stop to rest & make it a three jump trip --
1st stop in Catalina Twin harbors, 64 miles
2nd stop - jump next to San Diego - i recommend Chula Vista marina, 80 miles as Chula Vista is at the back of San Diego bay.
& then jump the last trip & go to Ensenada. -- 90 miles.

Good luck - timing of your departure is critical & do not do this trip at the wrong time.

Get these two books

https://www.landfallnavigation.com/c...rican-rte.html

https://www.landfallnavigation.com/m...ing-guide.html

Any questions or help needed let me know.

Alfa Mike

Last edited: Jul 11, 2023
Well, there you have it. A great post with exactly the info you asked for. As a slight addendum, the long stretch between Monterey and Morro Bay does have a couple other stops - San Simeon anchorage and Port San Luis anchorage (which is preferable to Morro Bay if timing is short as PSL is easy in/out). You want to time rounding of Pt Arguello/Conception closely - I always shot for midnight when the afternoon winds were long gone though seas could still be very confused.

IRENE gives a good account of Baja, though there are some small open anchorages along the way (except for the 170 nm run to Cabo - wide open run). I know I said it before, but open roadstead anchorages can be extremely uncomfortable even in settled weather. A small swell can really play havoc. No rest is possible - it is NOT something you can sleep through. Your only defense is setting a stern anchor (a PITA) or flopper stoppers (both sides needed in many of these anchorages).

In my previous post, I almost quoted READTY but couldn't remember which TF contributor had broadcast for crew. It was a great post because he'd done it before and was doing it again - open forum casting call for crew. Not as "blind date-ish" as it seems because you can go back through a person's posts and get a feel for their personality. When I was delivering, I did a couple crew who were unknown to me - one, a circumnavigator from South Africa was a total dud. The other, a retired LEO, was one of the best crew and interesting people I've ever met. Frankly, I'd recommend you strongly consider pick-up crew for legs. You might be surprised (in a good way).

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Peter

EDIT - Leoka - to answer an earlier question. coastal explorer is a PC based charting software package. It's very handy for trip planning and routing. You can generate a route that can be uploaded to a chart plotter - much easier than creating a long route in the chart plotter directly. Plus Active Captain info from prior cruisers.

Last edited:
I think alfamike laid out the most obvious route. While Port Orford works it is very small and uncomfortable. I prefer either Bandon or Brookings. however to be fair I don’t day hop. I usually run straight through the night between Crescent City and Newport. Anchoring for the night might be difficult at Port Orford, Bandon and Brookings. I have just never paid attention to this possibility.

Is there a specific reason you have to do this solo?
I admit, the challenge is attractive to do it alone. However, I am not a hero and willing to change my stand on the solo/crew issue. I will try to do it alone, if I can, but will bring 1-2 people on board, if there is no other way.
I do plan to enjoy the trip too, so I plan to go very slow. I am flexible and will adjust, if needed.
I also admit I am not a very social person. I have been solo for many years now and I am comfortable with it.
To answer your example, I used to dive and clean the bottom myself, before I moved to fresh water mooring. I do plan to install this at the next haul out:

Frankly, I'd recommend you strongly consider pick-up crew for legs. You might be surprised (in a good way).

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Peter

EDIT - Leoka - to answer an earlier question. coastal explorer is a PC based charting software package.
Thanks Peter.
- I will check the source for crew. If needed, I will use it.
- Coastal Explorer looks good and I will consider it. I need to see how does it compare with C-MAP and DeepZoom, which I subscribe to already. I have two plotters, but I do not use them for routing. My Garmin has connection to ActiveCaptain, I just could not figure it out how to get detailed info on ports. My RM plotter also has a good map package and hopefully I will be able to transfer my routes to it, once I create them on my PC.
- How did you manage the solo travel? How do you sleep?

The gentleman you've mentioned has done it with a motorboat? Can we read about his trip here, or can he be contacted for info sharing?
He did the trip in a motorsailor. I would guess the motor was running unless the anchor was on the bottom. I asked them for details of the northbound trip as we are about to do it ourselves, but unfortunately, crickets. If I receive any response, I will attach it here for everyone’s benefit.

We did the southbound run from Ensenada to Cabo San Lucas over 5 weeks in December and January…happy to elaborate on any specifics.

I made the exact same trip solo that you are contemplating. The only exception is that I started a bit north of you, maybe 1800 miles north.

Don't just plan on anchoring. Use the harbor facilities that exist. Explore a bit.
In my opinion, yes you can scare up the odd anchorage but the harbors are there, they are not expensive, and they are easy to access.

Once you leave Ensenada there are no harbors till you reach Cabo.

As far as the bar crossings go I was able to leave at first light for all my bar crossings, and picked my next port based on the optimum bar crossing time. All day trips.

Here's where I stopped

Astoria
Tillimook
Newport
Bandon
Cresent City
Eureka
Fort Bragg
Bodega Bay
Monterey
Morro Bay
Santa Barbara
LA
San diego
Ensenada

I've done the trip down the BAJA several times now and it can be done with all day trips except for Mag Bay to Cabo, but some of the runs are long days.

We did the southbound run from Ensenada to Cabo San Lucas over 5 weeks in December and January…happy to elaborate on any specifics.

Yes, please. I suspect you did not do solo, but any info is appreciated. 5 weeks is quite a bit for 700 miles. Did you go ashore a lot?

I've done the trip down the BAJA several times now and it can be done with all day trips except for Mag Bay to Cabo, but some of the runs are long days.
Yes, I followed your thread on that trip, but all info would be useful regarding to Baja section from a solo sailor's point of view.

I also admit I am not a very social person. I have been solo for many years now and I am comfortable with it.
Maybe look for someone who wants to get some experience doing overnight running and approach the first part of the trip like a delivery. With just two people on the boat running 24/7, you won't see much of the other person (except when handing off watch) and you might be able to knock out the whole Oregon and Washington coast in a single weather window. I like getting at least to Crescent City with the first weather window...no bar crossing, and the only real challenge getting in at night are all the crab pots.

Maybe look for someone who wants to get some experience doing overnight running and approach the first part of the trip like a delivery. With just two people on the boat running 24/7, you won't see much of the other person (except when handing off watch) and you might be able to knock out the whole Oregon and Washington coast in a single weather window. I like getting at least to Crescent City with the first weather window...no bar crossing, and the only real challenge getting in at night are all the crab pots.
When I start this journey, I will be leaving after a haul out in Ilwaco, WA. I have seen the entrances of Coos Bay, Brookings, Crescent City from land. With proper timing, I think I can cross them. Perhaps the first day will be to Coos Bay and when weather permits, to Crescent City. Brookings can be a backup.
I am not as worried about the Oregon and CA coasts. TF members have given very good info here already how to go about it. I think my biggest challenge will be from Ensenada to Cabo, if I am solo.

When I start this journey, I will be leaving after a haul out in Ilwaco, WA. I have seen the entrances of Coos Bay, Brookings, Crescent City from land. With proper timing, I think I can cross them. Perhaps the first day will be to Coos Bay and when weather permits, to Crescent City. Brookings can be a backup.
I am not as worried about the Oregon and CA coasts. TF members have given very good info here already how to go about it. I think my biggest challenge will be from Ensenada to Cabo, if I am solo.
Ensenada to Cabo is easier than the WA/OR coast I think. You won't find any marinas, but there are three good anchorages (Turtle Bay, Santa Maria, Mag Bay), plus Cedros Island, and lots of roadsteads. As someone else mentioned, Mag Bay to Cabo is the longest non-stop at ~175nm.

My biggest concern would be wrapping a poorly-marked lobster trap when approaching or departing an anchorage in the dark and then having to dive to clear it.

5 weeks is quite a bit for 700 miles. Did you go ashore a lot?
I think it was not a lot, but when beach conditions allowed and we wanted to, we went ashore. There are some places to spend a few days and look around if that is your thing. Bahia San Quintin, the beach at the NW corner of Magdelena Bay, and Punta Abreojos were highlights. We spent many days at some places just waiting for better weather for us.

Ensenada to Cabo is easier than the WA/OR coast I think. You won't find any marinas, but there are three good anchorages (Turtle Bay, Santa Maria, Mag Bay), plus Cedros Island, and lots of roadsteads. As someone else mentioned, Mag Bay to Cabo is the longest non-stop at ~175nm.

My biggest concern would be wrapping a poorly-marked lobster trap when approaching or departing an anchorage in the dark and then having to dive to clear it.
Well, I have already concurred the WA coast and I do not wish to do it again. I hope, if I go little by little, I can do the same with OR coast.
So there are places in Baja where I can shelter. Good news.
About the crab pots or lobster traps, I had some experience coming down from Near Bay. When I was getting close to Westport, these things just started popping up. I had to stay close to shore for cell reception and it was not bad while the sun was out. Once it started to get dark, it was a different situation. My searchlight did a great job, but it could see only about 100-150 feet ahead in the dark. There were everywhere. So, it was fun. This was the only time, when I was glad to have a slow boat.
What made me mad that even at the entrance to the river I could see the pots. That was tough.
Either way, I know what you mean and all I can do is to be extremely careful.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom