Shaft packing access

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieO.

Guru
Vessel Name
Luna C.
Vessel Make
1977 Marine Trader 34DC
What do you have for access to your shaft packing? I have just that little square hole under the stairs. I’m thinking I may need to make a new hole/hatch in front of the stairs to aid in replacing the shaft tube.

Attachments

• IMG_2253.jpg
    IMG_2253.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2252.jpg
    IMG_2252.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2251.jpg
    IMG_2251.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2250.jpg
    IMG_2250.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 21
That or find one of the small people that built most boats.
I cannot sit up straight in the ER without tilted head.

I only use that hole for adjusting the stuffing box.
Pretty good access to the whole front of the shaft from within the back of the engine room.

I only use that hole for adjusting the stuffing box.
Pretty good access to the whole front of the shaft from within the back of the engine room.

That's all I've used out for also, but now I'm going to remove the packing assembly to replace the shaft log\tube. I did briefly get myself stuck getting the shaft coupling disconnected.

I would make a better size access hatch. On my Formula they put in a small access hatch to get to the port engine raw water pump. It was inside a locker. Yes, I could reach through the small hatch and touch the pump, but with one finfer. I did reach all around the inside of the bulkhead and found that I could cut a much larger hatch into the bulkhead. I put in the new hatch and when the mechanic came to swap the oump he loved it. It still wasn’t big enough for me to fit but the mechanic is much younger and also much skinnier so he fit quite easily. I am sure that I saved money by buying the new hatch and making it easy for the mechanic. And every time I have work done on the pump the larger hatch will save me more money.

That's all I've used out for also, but now I'm going to remove the packing assembly to replace the shaft log\tube. I did briefly get myself stuck getting the shaft coupling disconnected.
===========================

Access Access Access.

Sometimes neglected until needed, then a problem.

I need to be able to work with “both hands” to adjust or replace packing, and that includes the use of two wrenches.

Best access I had been on my old Tartan 34, worse in my current Cape Dory 30

Suspect that why they installed a dripless.

On the GB36 there is adequate access from the engine room side to work on the stuffing box. You just gotta move everything you’re storing down there and then pull up the teak grate/flooring. I owned a GB for a long time and did that chore numerous times. It’s actually not too bad having access from both sides of the rear engine room bulkhead.

One thing to think about is if you are getting into a tight place do not go in unless there is someone else there to rescue you if you get stuck. I got stuck in the bottom of a boat many years ago. No one around to help. Finally got out by brute force but I left some skin and tissue in the boat. Now I always have someone to at least call for help if I need it.

I do have one friend in the yard and we are the only two working here almost every weekend over the winters. We always check in with each other when we arrive and before we leave. I will not crawl down there again without my phone in reach.

One thing to think about is if you are getting into a tight place do not go in unless there is someone else there to rescue you if you get stuck. I got stuck in the bottom of a boat many years ago. No one around to help. Finally got out by brute force but I left some skin and tissue in the boat. Now I always have someone to at least call for help if I need it.
Same here
Fortunately had my phone, called a friend, he pulled me out of the locker!!!
What a way to go!!!!

Always a good point. If I'm alone on the boat, I make sure to keep my phone within reach as I crawl in and out of anywhere tight. And I tend to be more conservative about it in the winter, both because I'm stiffer in the cold and because the boat is inside a locked building, so even if I call for help, they won't necessarily have a quick or easy time getting to me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom