The New Helmsman 46

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When is it due to complete?

Current build schedule:
Complete Hull and deck layup: late April
Join hull and deck : mid May
Install engine : mid June
Begin interior wood work : end June
Join top deck : mid July
Complete vessel: mid August
Arrive Seattle : early September

So far on schedule.

Current build schedule:
Complete Hull and deck layup: late April
Join hull and deck : mid May
Install engine : mid June
Begin interior wood work : end June
Join top deck : mid July
Complete vessel: mid August
Arrive Seattle : early September

So far on schedule.

The more I look at the boat it looks like a really bad boat. Just to be nice to you I'll buy it and save you the troubles.

Chanprr, on the profile of the layout I notice "inflatable tender beds." Under the drawn rib.

That's a new concept to me. Can you share detail? Vendor?

Chanprr, on the profile of the layout I notice "inflatable tender beds." Under the drawn rib.

That's a new concept to me. Can you share detail? Vendor?

The standard equipment does not include dinghy chocks, so I believe the designer means chocks for an inflatable.

The 46 hull is finally out of the mold. The color is Kingston Grey. Topsides and flybridge framing is progressing. Build is on schedule. Interior designs are almost completed. We are very pleased!!

Attachments

• 46Hull22Apr2023.jpg
    46Hull22Apr2023.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 98
Info on the 46H

Robert
Great chatting couple weeks ago…miss placed your #. Pls call again
Thanks. Lou. 443-388-1940

The John Deere 6090 SMF85 engine/transmission was test run yesterday at the JD factory in Tukwilla, WA. A ZF305-3A transmission is mated to the engine. Test run went fine. The package is now ready for shipment to the Helmsman factory in Fouzou, China.

Attachments

• Run-Test-JD.jpg
    Run-Test-JD.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 40
46 Pilothouse Render

Just a render for now but this is how it will look after build out. Space above PH settee will allow lookback through salon to stern quarters when stern-in docking.

Attachments

• Pilothouse-aft-port-view06-02-2023.jpg
    Pilothouse-aft-port-view06-02-2023.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 67
Wow. Stunning. Can’t wait to see the final in Seattle.

Just a render for now but this is how it will look after build out. Space above PH settee will allow lookback through salon to stern quarters when stern-in docking.

I really like the helm seating set up. Would you still be able to turn the PH settee into a temporary bed?

Is one of the helm seats on the centerline? No front windshield divider angle? I like the idea of twin helm seats except if it limits the view due to the dividers.

Pilothouse Helm Seating

Thanks for your comment. Here's a snip showing the plan for the PH helm seating. The Skipper (left seat) has an obstructed view forward through the center line window.

Attachments

• PH Plan.jpg
    PH Plan.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 36
Looks great - wondering if you can completely close the pilothouse instead of having view on the salon? Have you had the option to close and put some cabinet or increase storage in the galley?

Looks great - wondering if you can completely close the pilothouse instead of having view on the salon? Have you had the option to close and put some cabinet or increase storage in the galley?

Yes. If you want the space closed, that would be an easy modification at the factory. Adding cabinets would also be possible.

Thanks for your comment. Here's a snip showing the plan for the PH helm seating. The Skipper (left seat) has an obstructed view forward through the center line window.

It’s fascinating though that the Fleming 55 (16’ beam) and 65 (18’ beam) can not do side by side Stidd seats (a double works on the 65), especially preserving centerline seating for helmsman. . The 65 could hit it’s an awkward layout.

I’m not convinced a rear view though an unenclosed pilot house would help in docking? I use a rear docking station or fly bridge. Just seems like couldn’t see depth
backing up but I’ve never tried it.

It’s fascinating though that the Fleming 55 (16’ beam) and 65 (18’ beam) can not do side by side Stidd seats (a double works on the 65), especially preserving centerline seating for helmsman. . The 65 could hit it’s an awkward layout.

I’m not convinced a rear view though an unenclosed pilot house would help in docking? I use a rear docking station or fly bridge. Just seems like couldn’t see depth backing up but I’ve never tried it.

Thanks bowball for your comments. To be honest I'm expecting to use the flybridge for stern-in docking with the H46. My mate will be in the cockpit and we'll use our Eartec comms.

On the 43, I also mostly use the FB for stern in, but it is possible to look aft from the PH and see back there.

BTW, now that I have Starlink, I recently installed Ring Cameras throughout the boat including the engine spaces. One is mounted in the aft cockpit above the sliding door. It has been working well as a back up cam, and to peek back there periodically for paddle boarders and other vessels while in the marina and harbor channels. Solid connection, no issues with signal loss.

On the 43, I also mostly use the FB for stern in, but it is possible to look aft from the PH and see back there.

BTW, now that I have Starlink, I recently installed Ring Cameras throughout the boat including the engine spaces. One is mounted in the aft cockpit above the sliding door. It has been working well as a back up cam, and to peek back there periodically for paddle boarders and other vessels while in the marina and harbor channels. Solid connection, no issues with signal loss.

The ability to see the stern from the PH is a feature of the 38's and 43's according to Scott. So I'm not surprised that feature will also be in the 46. I will see how convenient a look back from the PH will be when my 46 arrives.

I have Wyse cameras at home, and I intend to try them as backup to the Garmin camera which will be mounted in the cockpit for rear views.

Construction of hull #1 is underway! Exciting times to come. Scott estimates that first Helmsman 46 pilothouse should be completed by May 2023. We can't wait to see her offloaded in Seattle.

We enjoyed our recent SEAlaska and BC cruise in our 38E so much that we decided to return to those beautiful places in a larger trawler for longer stays out on the water. Van and Scott quickly found a buyer for our 38E so signing for the 46 was a non-event!

We chose the 46 because we know that Helmsman designs and builds a reliable vessel of the highest quality and finish. We preferred the alternate lower deck design with two heads. The master stateroom with ensuite split head and shower is an excellent design for added privacy and convenience. The second stateroom will be larger after eliminating the third head. Minor mods have made the sleeping space more comfortable, and more overhead storage. Some mods were made to the galley layout making the space more efficient for us. We also chose to have an induction cooktop and convection oven microwave, eliminating propane bottles, and having the extra storage space on the flybridge. Much more discussion with Van and Scott will take place as we finalize the interior and other appointments.

Future postings will document the build progress over the next few months. Other Helmsman owners have posted photos of their new builds and we intend to share selected photos.

Enjoy your time on the water. Fair winds and safe travels.

Robert

MV Kiskadee

This is a duplicate thread. Created the first one in the wrong place!

Any new photos or updates on your 46? Would love to see the progress

Bob

Another render of the PH showing cabinets above the PH settee. More storage options.

Attachments

• PH-Cabinets.jpg
    PH-Cabinets.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 47
Here's a draft render-cutaway view inboard at the PH stairway. Two captain's chairs in the FB. Topsides molds : deck, flybridge, hard top and swimstep complete by next week.

Attachments

• 46 cutaway.jpg
    46 cutaway.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 60
Looking great.

Is there going to be any rear visibility out of port pilot house rear window given the settee there? If not better to make that area shelving inside or …? I assume the tender sits low enough the other rear window sees over it?

Looking great.

Is there going to be any rear visibility out of port pilot house rear window given the settee there? If not better to make that area shelving inside or …? I assume the tender sits low enough the other rear window sees over it?

As designed, a rear view is only through the stairway to salon. There may be an option for an open space above the PH settee but to achieve a full rear view would mean no cabinets above the rear facing galley counter. In a custom build Helmsman is very flexible and I wanted cabinets above the PH settee. We have two way comms for stern in docking.

I now realize that you may have the idea that there is a window option above the PH settee providing a rear view. The 46 does not have that because of the flybridge. I should have read your text more carefully.

The September issue of PassageMaker has an article of the Helmsman 46. It says Hull 1 will be arriving on the west coast this fall. Is that realistic? Any recent photos to share?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom