The Time has Come

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reacher

Hello all.

The time has come to sell our Ericson 38 sailboat and join the trawler community. We are currently looking for our ideal boat. Our first choice would be a Defever 34, but, as there were only 25 made, they're as rare as hen's teeth.

We are searching for that. or a comparable boat. We like the sturdy build of the Defever 34 as we cruise extensively in the Pacific Northwest. Searching Yachtworld has it's limitations, so I'm reaching out to those who may have a Defever or similar boat for sale in the Pacific Northwest.

I look forward to the wealth of knowledge this forum can provide a newbie trawler owner.

Welcome to the site. Good luck with your search.

Aha, this is where the elite meet to , er, BS about boats... Welcome. Hope you may stick with us once you find the boat.

Haha, of course we will! You guys are a treasure trove of knowledge and it will be dearly appreciated! This will be our 34th year of sailing, but we've never owned a powerboat,

What is it about the Defever 34 that appeals to you? Might be other boats available so at least you aren't searching for hens teeth. :)

Haha, of course we will! You guys are a treasure trove of knowledge and it will be dearly appreciated! This will be our 34th year of sailing, but we've never owned a powerboat,

Been a boater since age 13, sixty three years ago, and never owned a sailboat, but having slept in a Holiday Inn one night, I ended up on a Naval Academy sailing team. :thumb: Turns out there's nothing to it!

I see a DF 34 on yacht world for sale. Located in Jupiter FL. Check out a Monk 36 especially the last builds done in Canada.

What is it about the Defever 34 that appeals to you? Might be other boats available so at least you aren't searching for hens teeth. :)

Well, the size is right. Somewhere between 34 and 36. One engine for fuel economy, A deeper draft for stability in the Pacific Northwest and beyond. Interior wood but limited exterior wood. Made in the U.S. so no import taxes (I live in B.C.) Flybridge, roomy cockpit, at least one helmsman's door, and under 100K.

I wound up with a Farrell assembled in BC. That checks a bunch of your boxes.

Like hens teeth here in the lower 48, lots of them in lower BC.

I see a DF 34 on yacht world for sale. Located in Jupiter FL. Check out a Monk 36 especially the last builds done in Canada.

Well, I've seen the one for sale in Stuart Florida that I love and I'm checking out shipping rates to Bellingham, Wa.. It would be ideal to find something closer. I'll check out the one in Jupiter, Thank-you! I was under the impression Monks had a lot of exterior wood which we don't want, but I'll definitely have a look!

Welcome. I looked online to see what boat you are looking at and see a 1974 one for sale in Maple Bay. How does that one compare to what you are looking for?

I have a recent shipping quote from Costs Rica to Florida for my Willard 36 of $25k. Since Florida to BC is 5x the distance, expect something substantially more than $25k. Let me know if you find less

Speaking of a Willard 36, they might be of interest to you. I know of none for sale right now, but if you join the Willard Owners Group, you can post and ask if anyone is thinking about selling. Many of the examples out there are a bit tired, but they are a fine boat and usually under $100k.

https://willardboatowners.groups.io/g/main

Peter

Brace yourself for being warm and dry cruising in the PNW. It will be a shock, but you will acclimate. ;)

Maybe a Roughwater 36? Don't see any on YW but they might be suitable. Gorgeous. Not enough headroom for me at 6'2" but very nice efficient boats I think, and affordable.

Maybe a Roughwater 36? Don't see any on YW but they might be suitable. Gorgeous. Not enough headroom for me at 6'2" but very nice efficient boats I think, and affordable.

Much as I absolutely adore the Roughwater 37, I am not a fan of the earlier 36. The 37 is a traditional sedan layout with solid molded fiberglass topsides. The 36 (and big sister 41) had an unusual layout which I find intriguing, but finding one clean without cabin rot is a bit difficult. Their low price point has attracted entry level owners who are quickly over their head so condition erodes (a downward spiral that has affected Willard too).

Peter

I cruise around Madria Park quite a bit and like the Grand Banks Europa 42. see our profile pict.

Recomnend you go bigger and get twins. I have cruised my OA 43 from Califirnia to Alaska and Seattle to the Sea of Cortez MX. On at least 4 occasions a second set of running gear was essential.

Don’t overlook the American Tug 34/36.
They are built in Washington

Hello all.

The time has come to sell our Ericson 38 sailboat and join the trawler community. We are currently looking for our ideal boat. Our first choice would be a Defever 34, but, as there were only 25 made, they're as rare as hen's teeth.

We are searching for that. or a comparable boat. We like the sturdy build of the Defever 34 as we cruise extensively in the Pacific Northwest. Searching Yachtworld has it's limitations, so I'm reaching out to those who may have a Defever or similar boat for sale in the Pacific Northwest.

I look forward to the wealth of knowledge this forum can provide a newbie trawler owner.
I own a 1974 34' Passagemaker and would sell her if you are still looking.
Honey is located in Santa Cruz California.
My cell is 831-419-2045.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. "Ideal boat"? EVERY boat is a compromise. Do NOT get fixated on any particular make. Condition and records of maintenance outweigh any particular brand, for the most part IMO. IF you haven't already, read: Boat Search 101

Back
Top Bottom